SIG Talk banner

How do you handle a busybody or store security?

• Ignore the questioner and carry on.

Votes: 107 56.3%
  • Ignore him and leave the store.

Votes: 40 21.1%
  • Engage him with friendly banter, hoping he'll think you're harmless, get bored, and walk away.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • Tell him you're undercover and to move on.

Votes: 6 3.2%
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this story online. Wondering who among us may have had experiences like this (edited below), and how you handled it ...

[The original writer has] been stopped at schools, and a few businesses and asked if I have a gun in [a belt pouch]. Everytime I get stopped it is recognized as an "AMMO Pouch". "Is that an ammo pouch"? I used to be happy to say yes. At a school I was told to leave and remove it before I was allowed in. ... I need my meds .... They, for some reason, think that because they recognize it as an ammo pouch that is magically turns into a holster and they become stupid as a result. ... At the schools I consent to search, since it is their right to ask and I need to do my job ... [While shopping at] a ****, what I thought was another shopper stopped me and asked me in a friendly manner if what I had there was an ammo pouch. I was excited to share what essentially I'm using as a man's purse. He then changed his tone, after I pulled out my phone to show him how big the pocket was. I placed my whole hand in the pouch and retrieved the phone. He took a defensive sideways stance and asked, "is there a gun in there?" Still thinking it was another shopper I said, "there might be." He asked to see it and I said I wasn't going to pull a gun out in the store. He then asked me to leave the store and it was then revealed he was a plain clothed security guy who normally deals with shoplifters. The police were not called or anything but I have a rule. NEVER say you don't have a gun unless it is a perjury offence. This tactic becomes dicey on the new medical forms, they don't care about my pool as a threat to my children but they ask me about my guns every time. Do you have any guns? Yes. Do you lock them up and keep the ammo separate from the gun? No. After the hair pulling and the gnashing of teeth where this non medical line of questioning comes from, I inform them that they need a better question. I might just be locking up the ammo, or locking them up together, unloaded. The only way they are going to know is to try a little home invasion.

So, how do you handle a busybody or store security? Take the poll ...

· Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm not trying to steal your thread, and moderators if this is inappropriate then please delete, but I had a similar incident and turned it into thread.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not trying to steal your thread, and moderators if this is inappropriate then please delete, but I had a similar incident and turned it into thread.
Thanks, but I think the premise here is a little different. There was no question of shoplifting. He was approached and questioned (in this case by security, but it could be any do-gooder) about carrying. Something similar could happen at almost any time you're in public.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
OK, but what's your plan if you're wearing a Sneaky Pete holster or a large pouch on your belt?
It is a good question that you ask. I wear a Sneaky Pete with standard size P365 a lot (several times a week for the past 2 years) and only once, superficially, was I asked what was inside. I said a "tool". I could probably lie and say it is my inhalers or something.

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I would not comply with either scenario! Being asked to check my bags is one thing, although I would be mildly insulted, check the contents to the receipt or whatever you have to do, that's where it ends! As far as any form of body search, or pat down, no can do buddy! If you're that bothered by it I'll wait by the front door while you call whoever you need to call. If you try to put hands on me or take me into custody, game on emffr!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would not comply with either scenario! Being asked to check my bags is one thing, although I would be mildly insulted, check the contents to the receipt or whatever you have to do, that's where it ends! As far as any form of body search, or pat down, no can do buddy! If you're that bothered by it I'll wait by the front door while you call whoever you need to call. If you try to put hands on me or take me into custody, game on emffr!
I agree - but if someone just asks "what's in the pouch?," what do you do or say?

· Registered
1,492 Posts
I carry so that this situation does not come up. To date, it has never come up.

In my state (FL), it is not unlawful to "to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense." (Fl Statute Chapter 790 Section 053 "Open Carry of Weapons") If for some unknown to me reason I was asked by another person in a retail setting, "are you carrying a gun?, I will try to politely disengage from further discussion.

One of my favorite pieces of advice is from John Murphy's segment at the Tactical Conference in Memphis I went to: use the "AAA" rule - Always Avoid A ( )'s. If someone badgers you, just going about your business, probably best to avoid them if you can. If they persist in an unwanted conversation, in a social setting, I will probably remember I need to be somewhere else and take my leave. There are a lot of weird people out there these days, and I'd really like to not end up on YouTube.

So, choice 3 for me. It's probably worth going to check on the concealed carry laws of YOUR state, though, so you know where you stand.

· Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Your 4th amendment rights protect against government searches and seizures not ones by private business or citizens on their property.
Really? Thank you for that new information I wasn't aware of that! So then does my second amendment only apply to the government as well? And I better surrender my gun to that store clerk? And what about the Fifth Amendment? Do I need to tell him everything he asks? Or else! Thank you for the Constitutional update I better rethink everything I thought I knew. Maybe I should just stay home and let the wife do all the shopping!:eek:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts