SIG Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next time I get another crazy idea I hope someone stops me. After all time and money spent, I could have bought the most expensive holster there is. All that said proud to have a one of kind piece I can say I made.

8 sheets of kydex $25
Time - 10 hr

Started with full size small grip mod, cut down to subcompact because .... well who knows because. One picture with 12 round subcompact mag, and other with 15 round mag. Both are actually really comfortable to shoot with.

85% happy with cut. Chopped the nose off (started with full frame)and trimmed the handle but got little carried away with grinding. Shot 100 rounds out of it and the gaps in grip are comfortable.

Building an appendix holster like t-Rex arms was the goal. I Carry a glock 42 edc in a diy folded kydex at 4:30. 6 months with tucked shirt no one has noticed and I forget it is on half the time.

I am going to need more hardware to finish appendix, rubber spacers and screws etc. So after that I set out building a folded kydex using $6 toaster oven from second hand store and 2 pillows.

Even made my own belt clips. Wore it today tucked. Other than the butt of p320 handle needed rough edges sanded it was great. Easy on off, has good retention, and tucks shirt. P320 pretty thick but I thought the same thing when first started carrying g42 so I may get used to it.

While it was a lot of fun, next time I need to remind myself to stop being so cheap and just buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
There are some tasks best left to those who have chosen to do it for a living. You can see how to use those things which were NOT their early production mistakes.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Awesome - congrats on having the stones to jump in and make it for self. The first one is the hardest.

things to keep in mind:

1. Walmart camping foam mats are not too terrible for making kydex presses. Closed cell foam is the best but a bit spendy.
2. Free blueprints for a cheap press made with door hinges and plywood are available online.
3. If you don't like results you can always stick the dex back in the oven and try again.
4. A heat gun is good for fine tuning, a torch or lighter can work in a pinch.
5. knifekits or index fasteners are good places to get clips and hardware
6. Most hardware stores will also have grommets, o-rings, chicago screws that will work in a pinch (might not be tactical black)
7. About the third one you make will be pretty damn decent.
8. Cardboard and a pencil can be decent filling in the sight channel and trigger guards barrel indent etc. Tape them in with blue painters tape and remove and clean with hoppes or something relatively quickly.
9. Don't forget to add a bump out on the gun prior to molding for where your hardware attaches so you don't scratch the gun on the hardware on the draw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.