SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s been my preferred carry round for years and, therefore, also my typical practice round. I’m more than a few steps into my 70’s and arthritis more recently has moved into my hands. Shooting the EDC P229 / 357 SIG has been taking some extra effort for a while but this week I couldn’t post a decent group for all the flinching goin' on. I was pulling shots 4 to 6 inches low before I got 2 mags into the session, and entirely too many of the 2 and 3 round quick shots bordered on the non-lethal. Last weeks session with the P226 9mm went so much better…and I didn’t pay for it afterwards…near as much.

They say that caliber doesn’t matter as much as shot placement. Following the wisdom of that today, I took the 357 CAL-X Kit off the P229 and put the 9mm M11A1 slide back on and into my holster.

Now to figure out what to do for spring/summer carry. That P224 / 357 SIG ain’t gonna be any easier to handle. Maybe someone can trade me a 9mm P224 upper, I could make it a package along with the 357 CALX-KIT.

Not sure why I’m boring you with this. If it was my only gripe about getting old I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it. They do say that talking about it helps…

but them that’s sayin’ that ain’t old yet…so what do they know.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
It’s been my preferred carry round for years and, therefore, also my typical practice round. I’m more than a few steps into my 70’s and arthritis more recently has moved into my hands. Shooting the EDC P229 / 357 SIG has been taking some extra effort for a while but this week I couldn’t post a decent group for all the flinching goin' on. I was pulling shots 4 to 6 inches low before I got 2 mags into the session, and entirely too many of the 2 and 3 round quick shots bordered on the non-lethal. Last weeks session with the P226 9mm went so much better…and I didn’t pay for it afterwards…near as much.

They say that caliber doesn’t matter as much as shot placement. Following the wisdom of that today, I took the 357 CAL-X Kit off the P229 and put the 9mm M1A1 slide back on and into my holster.

Now to figure out what to do for spring/summer carry. That P224 / 357 SIG ain’t gonna be any easier to handle. Maybe someone can trade me a 9mm P224 upper, I could make it a package along with the 357 CALX-KIT.

Not sure why I’m boring you with this. If it was my only gripe about getting old I probably wouldn’t have mentioned it. They do say that talking about it helps…

but them that’s sayin’ that ain’t old yet…so what do they know.
I hear you...range session last week. Maybe 200 rounds and the hands were screaming for 2 days. I accept it. That's just how it is. But getting old ain't for sissies.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I have seen this in others as they age and returned to 9MM 5 years ago as my primary pistol caliber for that reason. I will be 72 in May so it is simple deduction for every human, we age and we either accept it and adjust to that reality or we live in denial

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I know a couple of S&W guys that have left 357Mag behind because of the same issues with their hands. Shot placement is king, period.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I have the same problem. And the 147 grain 9MM isn't much better for me in my 239.
I guess if I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,802 Posts
ThnkFrst, I'm closing in on that era myself. I guess, the bottom line would be, that most "gunfights" I believe are under 7 rounds, so "defensively", if you can tolerate that, you're good! 9mm is available in close to .357 Sig levels with +P+ ammunition in 124 grain, but you may have better results with 147 grain, which is more a push or shove, rather than a wrist twister!

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
The best weapon you have is the one you have with you. Calm, steady shot placement of 380 beats hurried, shaky spraying of 357Mag. Also, I've played with recoil springs in some of my weapons. Stronger springs mean its harder to rack but also softens the recoil. Wolff often sells a "tuning kit" of springs that is an economical way to try out various weights in your weapons.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Probably not the answer you’re looking for... but... I actually found I had better control with my P239 in .357 Sig vs. my P229 in .357 Sig.

For me, I think the reason is grip size/shape. I have small hands and I can get more purchase on a P239. And with the slight palm swell of the Nills, I get really good traction/lateral support which helps me resist the recoil.

May not have any relevance to your situation, but, when you described your difficulties with your .357 P229, it came to mind.

Have you tried different grips with your P229? It always surprises me how much of a difference a better hold can make... esp. when you’re shooting something like .357 Sig.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I shoot both the .357Sig, 9mm and all the other calibers in my various Sigs. If you were using the .357 Sig for penetration versus just wound cavity size consider trying the Lehigh Defense ammo, 9mm in their Extreme Penetrator. Of if just as defensive round their Extreme Defense. I do not recall seeing a comparison of a .357Sig Sig JHP ammo versus a Lehigh Defence 9mm Extreme Penetrator, but I suspect the latter would be sufficient to stop any assailant in 1-2 rounds.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I fully understand your situation. On the other side of 70 here also and older age creeps up on us all eventually. Maybe it is just in my head, but I started using a tight fitting shooting glove and for me it does supply some relief. It seems to reduce some of that sudden jarring in my hands during a range session.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
There is the option of a Big Stick or a game w/ a Club-golf !
Kidding aside-
grips
projectile weight & velocity
glove(s) may be an option.
heavier recoil springs aren't the cure since every action has an equal but opposite reaction.

andrew58-
depending on the platform
SA or D/SA revolver
My soft shooting Freedom Arms Model 83's in 454 Casull & 475 LB are sweet shooting pushing 320gr L-WFN-GC at 1750fps & 400gr at 1600fps.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
I know how much faith you put in .357 Sig and were a big influence in me getting into that round so I'm sorry to hear is becoming difficult to use.

Might I suggest you consider 9mm conversion barrels for P229 and P224? Though they're expensive, I say this for a few reasons. One is the heavier conversion barrel in the heavier slide is incredibly smooth, granted heavier to carry. Another reason is you're not giving up your current configurations in case you'd still like to shoot them once in a while, if that matters. Finally, as far as the P224 goes, we both had trouble with the 9mm uppers on our P229C's. I know for a lot of people on their P224 it's not an issue but it would on my mind.

Which ever direction you go, as long as you can keep shooting life is good.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
1 - 20 of 62 Posts