SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
MC, (malicious compliance) has had a lot of good training. Times before, he would suggest I do the same.
Think Im gonna take his advice.
Gonna start putting forth the effort and time to find some good classes to take.
And also buy more ammo.
Now is a good time to buy ammo.

·
Registered
17,781 Posts
As a rule, I don't sell guns.

Having said that, I've sold 2 (of mine) in my lifetime.

One was a lemon and I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I sold it with that disclaimer and the other was to a friend who just had to have the gun in question. Since he'd done me a favor selling me a gun a few years back, I pretty much had to reciprocate.

Having and owning guns doesn't detract from my training in the slightest.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I must not follow the norm in buying guns. I have never bought a gun out of fear that it would be restricted in the future. I usually sell guns so I can afford to buy another one or buy if it is a deal that is too difficult to pass up. I'm not dedicated to just one brand of firearm or style. Even though most of my handguns are predominantly Sigs. I just enjoy everything about guns and don't ever see that changing.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm the type, I just love em lol....
I see that M11 A1 in Army Green, and I want it lol.
I just dont have the money to be buying what I like.
And truth be told, theres a lot out there just like me lol.
And really theres nothing wrong with that.
I just feel like if Im going to spend at all, spend to get better with what I have.

·
Registered
17,781 Posts
There is an old phrase: "Beware of the man who owns only one gun. He is probably a good shot".
And during the early days of America and during the Depression, that was probably true.

These days, I imagine it's the opposite. If he's only got one gun, he probably doesn't shoot much and is a terrible shot.

A lot of LEOs are fine examples of this.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And during the early days of America and during the Depression, that was probably true.

These days, I imagine it's the opposite. If he's only got one gun, he probably doesn't shoot much and is a terrible shot.

It could go either way.
But most leo's dont shoot very well. Thats true from what Ive seen.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm of the opposite opinion. Time to buy!!! Prices are dropping because the "political fear" has diminished somewhat. That doesn't mean it's a done deal. Gun grabbers are still out there and they are becoming more aggressive.

I'm taking the opportunity to save a few bucks and make some new purchases.

·
Registered
17,781 Posts
It could go either way.
But most leo's dont shoot very well. Thats true from what Ive seen.
There's a public range near where I live that some of the Agencies use to qualify and others use to practice qualifying.

Watching them is considered high entertainment by the regular shooters there.

One of the best was the Border Patrol Agent who had his magazine rusted into his handgun to where it couldn't be removed by him. The gunsmith got it out, though.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
My firearms are tools. Each one has a specific role to fill. That said, I'll never have too many.

Reactions: hardluk1

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

I have only sold 2 firearms and that was because of both convenience and I was offered a good price for them .. I was in Alaska and was cheaper to put them up for sale then to send back to the states .. and I didn't have an actual address yet where I was to be stationed next ..

I investigate a firearm I am interested in for months even a year before buying .. Also will try them at a range several times .. so when I do buy one its a keeper for me .. Not being well off and on a budget being retired now I tend to only buy what I am sure I want, like, and have shot already .. No safe queens ..

Friend is a RO at the range I shoot at during the winter . and he agrees LEO's over all are poorly trained when it comes to firearm shooting .. and only a few are gun people .. he asked a group qualifying for the police yearly range qualifications .. there were 27 in the group .. he asked how many had hunting licenses and there was only 2 out of the group .. Almost to the person .. people who hunt he said had better gun handling safety and were better shots ..

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I neither agree or disagree with the author of the article. It is his/her view of the direction they should take and what will make them happy.

I have sold one gun and given two away. There was a time where I bought what I needed and it still suffices. Now, I buy what I get the notion to buy.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I am in the "don't sell my weapons" camp. Strangely, my wife--who pitches a fit if I buy a new weapon, pitches and even BIGGER fit if I speak of selling or trading one. I think I am in a place where I likely do not NEED any more weapons. I have enough for most applications for me and my wife and our one (14 year old) son--including a little "starter kit" for him someday. He LOVES shooting and hunting. That said, many of my weapons are/have become "safe queens" for a couple of reasons. For example, my Colt Snake Guns have become so valuable that I rarely shoot them (its ok, I have others).

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
People should do what they want with their money. If they want to amass an extensive stockpile, fine. If they want to limit their collection to a few go-tos, fine. It's a free country and folks should do what makes them happy.

The author's thoughts on training are sound though. It doesn't make sense to carry a handgun for self-defense if you don't train to use it for self-defense. And that's not the same thing as punching holes in the 10-ring at a static range.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
The only guns I've ever sold I want back. I'm not at all in the camp of thinning the herd. Nothing wrong with ammo and training however. Perhaps redirecting future gun investments but no way am I selling. I do agree that there is a limit to how many platforms you can be proficient with. I concentrate on my EDC. The rest are just fun to shoot. If needed to press into service, I could do plenty of damage with them. They will most likely remain treasures but they are certainly not for sell. No Sir.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The only guns I've ever sold I want back. I'm not at all in the camp of thinning the herd. Nothing wrong with ammo and training however. Perhaps redirecting future gun investments but no way am I selling. I do agree that there is a limit to how many platforms you can be proficient with. I concentrate on my EDC. The rest are just fun to shoot. If needed to press into service, I could do plenty of damage with them. They will most likely remain treasures but they are certainly not for sell. No Sir.
Agree 100%. My main platform of handguns is the Sig DA/SA and that is what I am most comfortable with. (Same for my Reminton 870 and the AR-15 platform). I am also comfortable/Proficient with Glocks. I have several Revolvers (mostly because I think they are so cool) and could easily deploy one if I needed to. I have a (one) 1911 which is pretty much on permanant loan to my Dad who shoots it when he goes shooting with his buddies who are in the "1911 is the only platform and .45 is the only caliber" camp. They are preppers/reloaders (nothing wrong with that) and give him free ammo--so that alone is a good reason for him to shoot it. I could deploy that one in a pinch as well.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great posts fellas!!
I really appreciate all the opinions.
Certainly helps to put things into perspective.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
He's doing what he feels is right for him and that is ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts