SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the research I’ve done

the blonde one is from the 306 factory which also made kitchen furniture and utensils.
Which would explain how pretty the wood is (assuming it’s original wood) but these came from an old old collection from the 80’s that hadn’t been updated any time recently.

·
Registered
92 Posts
SKS is interesting. Back in the 80’s they were literally barrels full of them at the LGS for $75. each so I bought 2. I have no clue what I did with 1 of them and the other has been in the back of the safe for as long as I can remember. Every now and then someone offers to buy it and I never sell. No idea why. I’ve sold other guns but just not the SKS which I never shoot. It’s one of life’s mysteries……

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SKS is interesting. Back in the 80’s they were literally barrels full of them at the LGS for $75. each so I bought 2. I have no clue what I did with 1 of them and the other has been in the back of the safe for as long as I can remember. Every now and then someone offers to buy it and I never sell. No idea why. I’ve sold other guns but just not the SKS which I never shoot. It’s one of life’s mysteries……

It’s every gun owners obligation to own a sks and ak

·
Registered
18 Posts

For me I’ve hung onto my Type 56 to have a 7.62x39 shooter. I always thought I would get some kind of AK variant but never did. Now not interested in adding that to my stable but have a stash of ammo and find it a reliable semi-auto.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
What kind of bar do you got to 🤣. Why is it that they all cost you money. In this case ammunition;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be careful with bad SKS Karma. I purchased one at a gun show back in the '80s for $79 and a case of 1440 rnds ammo for another $89. Took it home and cleaned about 3 pounds of sticky yak grease from it. First outing and I found it pulling the heads off cases. Probably a burr in the chamber. Called the dealer and arranged to meet him first thing Sunday morning at the gun show for an exchange. Cleaned again and this one would not fire reliably. Swapped the case of ammo. No improvement. The dealer sent me a milled trigger group which worked for a few rounds until the hammer spring shattered into many pieces. Got a couple of springs at the hardware store and got it into some level of operation. Finally it had to go...

Traded it on a stainless Mini 14. I liked the design of the Mini 14 - reminiscent of the Garand but more economical to shoot etc. This one however... it always worked but accuracy? Not a chance. 69 grain Sierra Match Kings yielded a 6"+ group at 100 yards. It had to go...

Traded it on an Auto Ordinance 1911A1 (post Kahr Arms acquisition but before the move from NY). It took several hours of work to get it to actually fire and cycle. Accuracy was worse than a 1945 Remington Rand. Eventually it had to go...

I traded it on a Springfield Armory "Mil spec" 1911A1. After a trip to the factory (which did not fix anything) replacement of the mainspring assy, hammer, firing pin, firing pin spring, trigger, slide stop and grip safety it is a decent pistol. However, I am afraid it still caries the bad Karma from the original SKS. If I ever decide to part with it I think I will take my plasma cutter to it and bury the pieces in a DEEP hole. Perhaps that will keep the Karma off any future firearms. :D

Ken

·
Registered
254 Posts

We used to buy these new still in cosmoline by the green wooden military crate for $60 each. I remember coming home from one gun show with 4 cases of them tied down in the bed of my Chevy S-10 I think it was. I remember burying one of the crates in the ground at the hunt club for the coming apocalypse. To my knowledge no one ever dug them back up. Hmmmm….. might have a hunt club trip in my near future.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Only issue I’ve ever personally heard someone having was if you had one in chamber and slammed the butt of the gun on the ground or dropped it, one of this guy I knows sks would go off and basically slam fire.
Every time he saw my sks he’d forget he asked me and ask me again if I’ve checked then tell me his story of one of his doing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only issue I’ve ever personally heard someone having was if you had one in chamber and slammed the butt of the gun on the ground or dropped it, one of this guy I knows sks would go off and basically slam fire.
Every time he saw my sks he’d forget he asked me and ask me again if I’ve checked then tell me his story of one of his doing it.
There is a solution for that. The original Russian SKS did not have a free floating firing pin. SKS Firing Pins

·
Registered
92 Posts
We used to buy these new still in cosmoline by the green wooden military crate for $60 each. I remember coming home from one gun show with 4 cases of them tied down in the bed of my Chevy S-10 I think it was. I remember burying one of the crates in the ground at the hunt club for the coming apocalypse. To my knowledge no one ever dug them back up. Hmmmm….. might have a hunt club trip in my near future.
Sounds like a road trip opportunity.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There’s (or was) a guy out there that works in the firing pin channel and swaps out for another pin style to reduce the slam fire issue. Not sure if he’s still around.

Oops - sent this before reading the next post in the thread. Apparently it’s Murray’s Guns and he seem to still be around. My bad.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts