SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The P229 Sport.
Ok, so it isn't a fair comparison, used vs new, but asking for a NIB handgun from 1997 isn't fair either. At any rate, I am excited (jumping up and down doing my snoopy dance) to get my hands on this classic SIG P229 Sport used. I had been going back and forth on finally getting a P229. I really wanted a P229, but I wanted one without a rail and I wanted one with a stainless frame, but I went back and forth on which one I wanted more. P229 Legion is very interesting... but in the end it had neither. The P229 Sport is both rail-less and all stainless. So when I saw the P229 Sport pop up in the used catalog of my LGS website, I rushed over immediately, and it was an instabuy (less than 3 minutes looking at the gun - though I did field strip to check the rails).

All stainless steel, frame made in Germany, short extractor, 357sig, great condition with original box and a cardboard target (not paper!) 2 inches at 25 yards, dated April 1997, priced at $1249. Maybe that wasn't the greatest deal, but it was a great deal for me!

(But before the Legion attacks me, I will say the Legion is a very nice gun at a very nice price, Amsdorf link:
http://sigtalk.com/legion-series/57407-sig-sauer-legion-right-you.html)

Though I don't plan on carrying this one, she will be no safe queen - I'm planning on shooting her as much as my "number one" (P226 tacops). And to that end, I've given her a bit of a face lift. G10 hogue chain link grips, hex grip screws, SRT kit, new recoil spring, new magazine catch, slide release and decocker (the Sport was designed for competition, with extended features, I prefer the standard - plus I can keep the OEM parts undamaged), hammer, sear, hammer strut, trigger bar, trigger, takedown lever, mainspring housing and mainspring. So yeah, I guess in the end, it was a lot more than a Legion. But for me, it is totally worth it!

I really had given up on getting a "Sport" SIG (I'm still not comfortable buying online), so this was quite the unicorn get for me. There might be some purists that have issue with me gutting a classic pistol, but my thinking is that I take a classic pistol and make it work best for me. The bonus is that I can keep those original OEM grips and parts pristine(ish) if I ever change my mind. One of the reasons for the drastic overhaul of the internals is that I definitely wanted to install the SRT. When I looked at the internals, it looked like the parts had been expertly polished in key areas, and I didn't want modern OEM parts to mess with that finely tuned connection - it was all or nothing. Finally, I was excited about upgrading to nickel hardware - hammer, decocker, slide lock, magazine release, take down lever.

Another interesting note, the P229 Sport had a different mainspring, main spring housing, and hammer strut, resulting in a much lighter DA pull. I'm used to my P226 tacops 10lb DA pull so I didn't mind the change when swapping out to modern OEM parts.

I've fired both before and after the changes, and no malfunctions, shoots awesome. Surpassed all of my expectations. LOVE the 357 sig and it now trumps my Glock in 357 sig. One of the reasons why it shoots so well is that it is heavy. About as heavy as a 6in revolver or SIG X5! The target below was at 21 feet offhand. Also, the compensator makes it quite loud on the range, the 357 sig out of my P229 sport sounds like my 44 magnum revolver, haha.

The one draw back of the Sport model is that it cannot be shot without the compensator because... the front sights are sitting on the compensator! No way would I tap the slide to put on front sights, but it would have been nice to ccw this baby every once in awhile. Still incredibly happy to have her, and she stands as one of my all time favorite pistols.

Attachments

馃帠USA Veteran
the parts had been expertly polished when it was assembled & adding the srt shortens the reset but hat else is compromised??

on here & other boards, several folks have added the srt & were also happy with the reset.

field strip: no issues getting the screw/wedge out???

it can be fired without the comp, point/shoot.

here's one with a barrel weight....not my pic.

congratulations on a nice addition.

can you put up a pic of the test target please??:cool::cool:

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the parts had been expertly polished when it was assembled & adding the srt shortens the reset but hat else is compromised??
on here & other boards, several folks have added the srt & were also happy with the reset.
field strip: no issues getting the screw/wedge out???
it can be fired without the comp, point/shoot.
here's one with a barrel weight....not my pic.
congratulations on a nice addition.
can you put up a pic of the test target please??:cool::cool:
-Nothing is compromised and I agree the P229 would've worked perfectly with its original parts + new SRT. But I've read somewhere that over time, the hammer and the hammer strut "wear" together so that one part is particular to the other part. I kind of extrapolated this argument to all the internals to some degree. My intention is to run 10k rounds through her over the next 5 years. I didn't want to mix-match internals in the event that I decide to switch back to its original "Sports" parts, and the wear patterns would have changed after 10k rounds. Could be baloney, but that was my logic. Plus, did you see you how nice my nickel hardware looks?!?

-I was totally stuck at the screw/wedge. Until my friend suggested I read the instructions (yes, included original OEM instructions, haha!) which said to use the included screw accessory - just a long screw without a head. Screw into the wedge the depth of the wedge, then gently pull the wedge out holding the long screw.

-Great point, from a ccw perspective, I would realistically only use my handgun in a point blank situation - sights are optional.

-Will definitely post pictures of the target, as well as the OEM parts that I replaced.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did it look like the one on the bottom?
Yes, the old style trust. The tension of the mainspring was much lighter than the modern ones. But then again, my spring could have been worn, though the pistol looked in pretty good condition and shot flawlessly.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here's the SIG test target, 25m with just one "flyer" in the 9 ring, incredible! I wish I could shoot like that.

I've also attached pictures of the included tools for the compensator and adjustable sights, how the threaded tool works in removing the "wedge" (pulls out like a lollipop), as well as all the parts I have replaced in my P229 sport. Note that all contact points at the trigger bar, both sides of the sear, and the hammer was polished to a mirror finish. The safety lever also, somewhat, but it seemed made of something flimsier than the other parts.

Also, I forgot to mention that I replaced the trigger with the IDP Competition Trigger from IDP Tactical. Honestly, I chose it to match the nickel hardware, and it was the only non-short-reach trigger that was in a nickel finish. I actually like and am used to the short reach trigger, but I felt almost sacrilegious putting it on this classic. Luckily, I can't really tell the difference.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...ormance-triggers-for-sig-sauer-prod78033.aspx

Attachments

馃帠USA Veteran
there are 2 screw types used, the slotted head in the op's pic & my hex head.

if you google 229sport images, you'll see both.

cattivo:
i bet if you took the unicorn to ace hardware, they could match it.

Registered
there are 2 screw types used, the slotted head in the op's pic & my hex head.

if you google 229sport images, you'll see both.

cattivo:
i bet if you took the unicorn to ace hardware, they could match it.

Yup, I have both types myself. Was referring to the screw type tool he has to remove the wedge.

馃帠USA Veteran
as it says in the comp removal pdf, thread into the wedge & pull wedge out.

if the wedge is really tight, keep spinning the tool & it'll walk the wedge out.

the threaded portion used to remove the wedge will have the same thread pitch as the hex/slot headed screw & probably be easily replaced at ace.

Reactions: asdfzxcv

Registered
My P229 Sport in .357 is my favorite gun in my collection, without a doubt. You made an excellent choice! I bought mine, an '05, used. It only had one matching mag, no box, and no test target, but for the price I couldn't say no.

You can always add a Legion to your stable, but there won't be anymore guns like yours coming from the factory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.