SIG Talk banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My EDC load is the 124 grain V-Crown HP over 7.5 grains of Blue Dot.

Not quite +P at ~1180 fps but absolutely no case fill issues.
Thxs rm, I suspect my scale is acting up so I ordered a new one which arrives tomorrow. If nothing else at least I'll have two to compare weights. FWIW my Speer manual shows 124gr JHP max standard load (35K psi) with Blue Dot to be 7.9 grns and resulting in 1238 fps. Appreciate the feedback with Blue Dot and case fills, it reinforced my thought that my scale is not reading correctly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why +P? In the smaller gains you gain very little, and accelerate wear on your gun tremendously. There are many good defensive choices in standard velocity loads these days. I stick with those and leave the +P to the bigger blasters.

·
Registered
I ❤ SIGs
86 Posts
I'm currently loading a mid-range load of 4.3 grns HP38/231 with a 124 grn projectile in an M&P Shield, It's been working great. I'm in the process of switching to a P320C as my carry and will also switch to +P ammo (Fed HST) since the heavier firearm weight will help will the additional recoil.
I'd like to load practice ammo that is comparable to the factory +P rounds but can find no data on loading +P. Best I can figure is that +P max pressure is 10% higher than standard so I should just increase my current load by 10% to start testing.
Anybody have any load data for +P reloading?
I know you're going to say use a Chrono but have never used one and I don't know if it's possible in an indoor range.
I also know that I should switch to a slower burn powder but I have 8lbs of HP38 & 231.
Any insight would be appreciated.
+P factory ammo is not always faster/hotter than many standard loads.

I've chronied factory +P before and actually found it slower than standard factory offerings.

+P used to be a much bigger deal (back in the day) than it is now, imho, given modern projectile technology.

I just scored a couple pf hundred 147 gr Sierra V Crown projectiles and I talked to a Sierra tech and he told me they are optimized for 1000-1100 fps. Is that hot? Maybe .... but it's not +P. So I dunno why anyone would care to push those to 1250. Faster is not always better.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
My EDC load is the 124 grain V-Crown HP over 7.5 grains of Blue Dot.

Not quite +P at ~1180 fps but absolutely no case fill issues.
Actually, according to SAAMI, "nomimal" velocity for 124 gr. 9MM +P is 1180 FPS (see below, taken from SAAMI Z299.3 - 2015). Their default range is plus or minus 90 FPS.
Rectangle Line Font Parallel Pattern

We often have a misconception of how hot +P ammo really is, at least according to SAAMI.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Actually, according to SAAMI, "nomimal" velocity for 124 gr. 9MM +P is 1180 FPS (see below, taken from SAAMI Z299.3 - 2015). Their default range is plus or minus 90 FPS.
View attachment 420245

We often have a misconception of how hot +P ammo really is, at least according to SAAMI.
Good to know.

I selected this load because the SIG factory round is quoted at 1165 fps, so I figured I was in the right ballpark.

The data says 7.9 grains of Blue Dot is the max (@ 1238 fps), so even though there might be a bit more room I'm happy with this load.

Thanks for this!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thxs rm, I suspect my scale is acting up so I ordered a new one which arrives tomorrow. If nothing else at least I'll have two to compare weights. FWIW my Speer manual shows 124gr JHP max standard load (35K psi) with Blue Dot to be 7.9 grns and resulting in 1238 fps. Appreciate the feedback with Blue Dot and case fills, it reinforced my thought that my scale is not reading correctly.
An update: I did a quick 100 rounds today and noticed that that 7.5 grains of Blue Dot fills the case about 1/4” short of full, which means a fairly perfect fill with the 124 grain V-Crowns seated to the recommended 1.090”.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just came across this interesting discussion. FWIW, I've loaded 9mm for a very long time, for a variety of pistols. Years ago, some of the matches I shot required knocking down steel targets. Most guys used .45 ACP, but I had to be obstinate and use 9mm pistols. What it amounted to was loading to what nowdays would probably be considered +P or even +P+ pressures and velocities. I used these loads in S&W, HK, SIG, Colt, Browning, etc. pistols. Never a blown case; and don't recall ever experiencing pieced or leaking primers that can etch breech faces and damage firing pins, etc.

I used several different medium and slower burning powders, e.g., Blue Dot, AA-5, AA-7, AA-9, 800X, HS-6, but used more Unique and Herco over time than the others. I used cast bullets for lighter loads, but jacketed 115 and 124/125 grain bullets for the warmer loads. Much of my chronographing was done using Browning Hi Powers with ~4.7" barrels. I did generally seat bullets longer, consistent with fully chambering without running into the rifling leade, reliable function, etc., but always within 1.169" OAL. Seven grains of Herco routinely produced 1250+ FPS with 124/125 grain bullets and 1300+ FPS with 115 grain bullets. Six grains of Unique generally produced 30-40 FPS less, depending on which exact bullet/case/primer was used in which particular gun, barrel length, etc. The 7 grains Herco and 8.5 grain Blue Dot loads with a 115 JHPs would average ~1400 FPS in some 4.7"- 5" barrels.

I pass this all along, not as recommendations, but just as FYI and to contribute to the discussion. I realize many or most reloaders would probably not be comfortable with these loads as charge weights have been reduced in many modern reloading manuals......

21 - 27 of 27 Posts