SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently loading a mid-range load of 4.3 grns HP38/231 with a 124 grn projectile in an M&P Shield, It's been working great. I'm in the process of switching to a P320C as my carry and will also switch to +P ammo (Fed HST) since the heavier firearm weight will help will the additional recoil.
I'd like to load practice ammo that is comparable to the factory +P rounds but can find no data on loading +P. Best I can figure is that +P max pressure is 10% higher than standard so I should just increase my current load by 10% to start testing.
Anybody have any load data for +P reloading?
I know you're going to say use a Chrono but have never used one and I don't know if it's possible in an indoor range.
I also know that I should switch to a slower burn powder but I have 8lbs of HP38 & 231.
Any insight would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
just from Boriqua's link, looks like you are loading up to just .1g less than manf max load. Perhaps you are using a recipe from a projectile manufacture that calls this a medium load? SAMMI max for 9mm is 35000psi, +P is 38500, so your 10% additional would be really close to a SAMMI max load for +P. I don't think starting at max is a safe place to start - just IMHO.

there is a nice piece of software that allows you to run theoretical loads on a computer - called QuickLoad. Not free, but if I saved the money on all my different load books, it would have paid for the software. It includes +P loads, and cautions starting 10% lower and work your way up to a safe, accurate load. Unlike books, it colors the test load if it is nearing higher than safe pressures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just from Boriqua's link, looks like you are loading up to just .1g less than manf max load. Perhaps you are using a recipe from a projectile manufacture that calls this a medium load? SAMMI max for 9mm is 35000psi, +P is 38500, so your 10% additional would be really close to a SAMMI max load for +P. I don't think starting at max is a safe place to start - just IMHO.

there is a nice piece of software that allows you to run theoretical loads on a computer - called QuickLoad. Not free, but if I saved the money on all my different load books, it would have paid for the software. It includes +P loads, and cautions starting 10% lower and work your way up to a safe, accurate load. Unlike books, it colors the test load if it is nearing higher than safe pressures.
Thanks decula, my Speer book says start 4.0, max 4.5 for 124 grn so I'm .2g from max. I was thinking about starting at 4.8 for +10% on what I'm running but I will definitely buy QuickLoad if it covers +P loads and use that as a guide. Had not heard of that software, appreciate the insight!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Trying to load to +P pressures without the proper equipment to measure pressure is not a good idea. My experience with 9mm+P(and I carry the HST+P) is that there is very little difference in recoil between a standard pressure load and the +P load. I would suggest that you try both loads and guns at the range and see if you can feel a noticeable difference in what you are already loading. If you can tell a noticeable difference, then increase your reload(up to max in the manuals) until you find one that duplicates your carry load. As you know, as you approach max loads, bullet seating depth, type of bullet, type of primer, type of powder, etc. all can inflhence pressure. Unless you are using the exact same components as used in the manual, and using the exact same firearm, your results will not be the same.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Get a chronograph, and load your ammo within the powder range recommended by reloading manuals, but close to the velocity of the P+ ammunition you use, with bullets of the same profile and weight.

Reactions: hauki and decula

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Chronographs are available at very reasonable prices these days. Sure wish there was some form of reasonably priced non-destructive pressure measuring system available. I blew up my gun is NOT one.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Reactions: decula

·
Registered
142 Posts
I get and understand what you are saying. But from what I remember of the 9mm +P ammo specs I've seen in the past. You only gain a little FPS and Ft Lb Energy. Now I'd be more concerned if my EDC SD ammo had the same POA and POI as your practice ammo. Train like you fight. Along with if your practice ammo grouped well to give you good feedback on your shooting.
If you just match FPS of another ammo to the point of +P with practice reloads. It may not group the best and POA POI could be different. So you would have to remember to make adjustments in a bad situation or accept not so true down range feedback in all practice and think and hope it will be right in a bad situation.
But then again it may work out and POA POI of both ammos the same and it groups well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions. I ordered the QuickLoad software yesterday, thanks dec., to get a baseline for +P loads. In addition my Speer manual shows ~20% higher velocity for both Blue Dot and Unique vs HP38 and I have 1 1/2 lbs of each so I'll be switching to one of those for +P loads. The nearest range that I can use a Chrono at is 80 miles away so after some preliminary testing at my local indoor range I'll pick up a Chrono and head off to compare my loads vs HST +P. Mrerick - the pressure measuring system looked interesting but it looked like it could only be used on a weapon with an exposed barrel, let me know if I missed something.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
356 TS&W,a 9x21.5mm is a viable option by reaming the chamber 1.5mm deeper for headspace purposes.

Awesome chambering.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Just follow established reloading manuals for your +P loads... Leave the pressure measuring and load workup to someone that likes to experiment... I only posted it because another poster asked about systems...

Use a chronograph, and build a load within the range advised by the manual while watching the muzzle velocity to get to +P levels of speed.

Reactions: decula

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you look at the SAAMI standard for velocity 115 gr. 9MM is 1135 - 1210 FPS, and for 115 gr. 9MM +P 1100 - 1235 FPS. Yes, they actually overlap.
For 124 gr, 9MM is 1090 - 1130 FPS, and for 9MM+P 1180 FPS (no range is given); still pretty close.
Like mrerick says above, work your load up gradually and stay within the min & max loads specified in the manuals.
Going below the min can be just as hazardous as going above the max.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey everyone, just started making up some test loads for 9mm, 124 gr JHP, using Unique. My Speer manual says 5.8 grn max and I'm currently using 5.6 grn and the cases are 7/8 full. I haven't used Unique or my Lyman digital scale for a number of years and this seems a little unusual, I don't remember the cases being this full with Unique and wonder if my scale is no longer accurate. Seems I read about cases being real full using Blue Dot but nothing wrt Unique so any feedback would be really appreciated before I finish these test loads and go out and blow up my gun :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
You can get some calibration weights from Amazon or other vendors. They are a great way to check your scale. Amazon has a set for $16.99 that goes from 10 mg to 100 gm. You can go online to get a conversion formula to get from mg to grains.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can get some calibration weights from Amazon or other vendors. They are a great way to check your scale. Amazon has a set for $16.99 that goes from 10 mg to 100 gm. You can go online to get a conversion formula to get from mg to grains.
Thanks nhp! Ordered, didn't think of that for some reason. Me caveman sometimes...

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
QUOTE="paulca, post: 5836349, member: 214977"]
Hey everyone, just started making up some test loads for 9mm, 124 gr JHP, using Unique. My Speer manual says 5.8 grn max and I'm currently using 5.6 grn and the cases are 7/8 full. I haven't used Unique or my Lyman digital scale for a number of years and this seems a little unusual, I don't remember the cases being this full with Unique and wonder if my scale is no longer accurate. Seems I read about cases being real full using Blue Dot but nothing wrt Unique so any feedback would be really appreciated before I finish these test loads and go out and blow up my gun :)
[/QUOTE]

0.56 grams = 8.64 grains , which would be really close to a 85-90% case fill. Perhaps you are using the gram setting on the scale, paulca?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thxs, yeah I thought the same and double checked that but it was grains. I also rechecked the powder weight in some test cases that I had filled yesterday and the weights were 0.2 grns different from when I filled them so I've ordered a new scale. If nothing else at least I have a backup for comparison. Don't really mind the variation but when looking for +P loads an accurate weight is really important.
Paul

·
Registered
298 Posts
My EDC load is the 124 grain V-Crown HP over 7.5 grains of Blue Dot.

Not quite +P at ~1180 fps but absolutely no case fill issues.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts