SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading 9mm ALOT lately and I just picked up a pound of Power Pistol. I also bought some 124 XTPs and have done some extensive reading online about max loads. Every manual I've seen lists different max loads for power pistol. I'm wanting to load max velocity loads for it but don't want to have much overpressure over a standard 9mm load (35,000 psi max I think). I've shot 5.8, 6, and 6.2 gr out of my P320C and there was nothing out of the ordinary. What is the max load for PP in 9mm? It will be loading in Speer brass.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just my habit but I generally take one step down from the manufacturer's max load, in this case to 6.2, simply to cover the variations you get from your powder drop. I use a Dillon 550B and it is within 0.1 gr so at worst case I would be safe at 6.3.
Just my opinion and I could be wrong but it makes a lot of sense and I have been shooting and reloading for too many years to admit. Sometimes only a dozen sessions of each a year but many years of it.
Nowadays that's 3 a month or more and with two of us the number of rounds is a healthy number, got to get busier at the reloading bench.

Reactions: Mills

·
Registered
17,787 Posts
Just my habit but I generally take one step down from Manufacturer's max load, in this case to 6.2, simply to cover the variations you get form your powder drop. I use a Dillon 550B and it is within 1 gr so at worst case I would be safe at 6.3.
Just my opinion and I could be worng but it makes a lot of sense and I have been shooting and reloading for too many years to admit. Sometimes only a dozen sessions of each a year but many years of it.
You mean 0.1 gr or so I assume?

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
FWIW, I would find out what the manufacturer's max load is and back it off a bit. There is no need for "max loads". All you're going to do is wear your gun out sooner, for little to no ballistic performance advantage. Just food for thought.

Reactions: Mills and USMC6872

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
IF what you are wanting to have is a "Maximum Strength Duty Load" (for 9MM?) I would avoid carrying "Home Brew" loads.
Reach out to Underwood Ammunition for the 20 or 50 rounds you want for "duty" Loads and reload the rest to standard pressure. (Which is NOT 35,000). This will provide you with a lot better performance, and in court, you can clearly state you were using Manufactured Ammunition.

My .02 worth.

(Underwood lists the XTP as going 1225 FPS out of the 4 inch barrel. Their stuff is VERY accurate and VERY much on the edge. They list the 357 sig as being 1500 FPS for their 125 Speer)

·
Registered
62 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts