SIG Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively a new subscriber to Sig Talk and this is my first post. My local Academy has 9mm NATO 124 grain ammo on sale and I was just reading online about the differences. I have a P226 Scorpion and P2022 both in 9mm. What is the general opinion, is the NATO ammo safe for these two pistols??

Thanks in Advance

Hammer5

·
Premium Member
39,149 Posts
Welcome

I have shot a lot of Winchester white box Nato.
Supposed to be closer to a +P, but I really didn't feel much or any more recoil in a 938.
I had no trepidation using it. I like it more that the regular Winchester white box.

Reactions: Devereaux

·
Registered
496 Posts
Go for it. Your P226 Scorpion and P2022 will handle it perfectly.
Caution, don't shoot more that 500 rounds in one session. This way you'll have another 500 for the next day when you buy in lots of 1000 !!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, completely safe. If your ever not sure, just google nato vs. sammi specs on different cartridges. My first experience/lesson was learning the difference between .223 and 5.56, sammi being the spec for the former. They are dimensionally identical, at least, they are drawn to be dimensionally identical. The difference is that (and this is a huge nutshell moment) sammi specs are more tightly controlled. The test bores, the powder weights, the cartridge dimensions, are all a little more loosely controlled with the nato rounds, resulting usually in a little hotter load and CAN have some dimensional differences, even though they are supposed to me the same. Hence, I will feed either into my AR with a 5.56 stamped barrel, but will stick with .223 only for my .223 hunting rifle. There's some great articles out there on this, and worth a read.

It's actually interesting too, how the .223 is dimensionally the same but not generally as hot as the 5.56, BUT the .308 is actually .308, where as the 7.62 x 51 is considered identical, but measures .311 in a lot of nato surplus. In this case, you want to steer clear of nato ammo in your .308 hunting rifles. I mean, it will be okay in a pinch, or for a few trigger pulls, but I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of nato.

The differences in the pistol cartridges are so very slight that your gun may never know the difference.

·
Registered
552 Posts
BUT the .308 is actually .308, where as the 7.62 x 51 is considered identical, but measures .311 in a lot of nato surplus. In this case, you want to steer clear of nato ammo in your .308 hunting rifles. I mean, it will be okay in a pinch, or for a few trigger pulls, but I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of nato.
Are you sure your not talking about 7.62x39mm (Russian AK)? The russian 7.62 is .310 inches. Iv'e never heard of 7.62x51 NATO being anything other than .308.

·
Registered
43 Posts
pretty sure. I know the Russian surplus I've seen mics at .311 and is marked 7.62x51. Once in a great while, you might see some euro doo doo that's printed .308, but then the fine print says 7.91x51, which you can count on being .311. I would make it a habit of measuring the cheap military surplus for this reason.

·
Registered
43 Posts
oh, and yes, you are correct. I have seen this more with the AK rounds measuring .310 to .311, so if you reload, you need to find .30 cal projectiles that measure correctly for your rifle, but there's really not a sammi equivalent to this cartridge. the sammi vs. nato issue pops up more on the .223 and .308.

·
Registered
552 Posts
pretty sure. I know the Russian surplus I've seen mics at .311 and is marked 7.62x51. Once in a great while, you might see some euro doo doo that's printed .308, but then the fine print says 7.91x51, which you can count on being .311. I would make it a habit of measuring the cheap military surplus for this reason.
OK. Good to know.
I try and stay away from Euro doo doo as a rule anyway..:D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have asked Winchester about the difference between their 124 luger (white box) and the 124 Nato. The luger is SAAMI spec, obviously the Nato label is .........duh, you know.
The bullet is exactly the same.
The way SAAMI and Nato measure pressure is different, and Winchester has told me the pressures, as such, are different. They did not say if the powder used is any different in quantity or type.
The muzzle velocity is the same spec, at 1140 fps on both. That is the higher end of the 124 gr spectrum of ammo offerings.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Scrap rat
Thank you for the drawing.
Most semi Auto rifles in the American market are marked 7.62, but are still Comfortable with .308
Even the Turkish HK 91s were very comfortable shooting commercial BTHP ammunition with great accuracy. The brass was not usable, due to the dents and expansion marks on the cartridge neck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.