SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was cleaning my 938, it has roughly 2k rounds through it... but I pulled it apart because the slide was hard to cycle for some reason... because the metal shaving was in the rail.. Turns out this little dip has come apart (think it’s the trigger reset pocket that the trigger bar goes into)
Anyhow not sure if this is going to hinder the performance... or if there is anything SIG can do about it besides replacing the slide.
Seems to reset the trigger properly each time. Just curious if anyone has seen wear like this

here’s my 238 for comparison. Has maybe 500 rounds through it

·
Registered
11,674 Posts
The disconnector tab rides in that curved pocket which does act in resetting the trigger.

The machine cut for the pocket does, in fact, break thru the rail on the P938 unlike the P238. Freaked me out first time I saw it after I traded my P238 HD for my first P938; it's normal for the model but still ugly as hell.

That metal sliver still concerns though. Can't picture where that could have come from. Could you post some more picts of it? Is it brittle or can it be bent? Is it steel?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It literally came from the curved pocket
I can place it back in there and it completes the pocket.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also have a 938 scorpion that’s not broken through like that.

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
12,135 Posts
I would definitely show that picture to Sig Customer Service and get their read on it.

Reactions: Roger Z06

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My fear is the trigger reset bar will get stuck in the pocket

I think
Noooo... it’s just barely riding on there ... then I see the damage it’s already done and know it’s pushing hard enough.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would call Sig C S but not on Monday. Send Them some pics. They should take care of You.
Hopefully so ... this specific gun has been back to NH twice for an extractor.
The first time I sent a note saying “hey I improperly loaded my +1 round in my gun for 2 years and messed up the extractor, could you just replace it? Thanks -Roger”

They send it back to me with I kid you not, every small part on it replaced except the extractor.
guess what?!?
it wouldn’t extract.
Out of 50 rounds it had a dozen failures and customer service was like “ I don’t know, they test them before sending them back” I asked “what? One round at a time in a bench vise?”
So I sent it back with a letter saying “CHANGE THE EXTRACTOR”
Thankfully they did it the second time but it was a mess and guess what? It extracted properly. Then probably another 300 rounds later this happened.

Don’t get me wrong ... the guns been carried for years and shows it and probably has closer to 2500 rounds through it but still ... it shouldn’t be coming apart like that I don’t think.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Absolutely no question here; it should go back to SIG with the same photos you posted here and a letter describing what happened. This is not right and whether or not is affects function doesn't matter, it's not right.
They'll probably, at a minimum, replace the slide.
Don't be silly, call SIG, get an RA# (return authorization number) and send it back.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Absolutely no question here; it should go back to SIG with the same photos you posted here and a letter describing what happened. This is not right and whether or not is affects function doesn't matter, it's not right.
They'll probably, at a minimum, replace the slide.
Don't be silly, call SIG, get an RA# (return authorization number) and send it back.
I will
Just saying it’ll be it’s 3rd trip back to NH... just hoping CS listens to what I have to say this time lol

pictures are worth a thousand words though.

·
Registered
11,674 Posts
My first P938:

My current P938;

How does the top of your disconnector tab look? Does it move up and down freely?

·
Registered
557 Posts
The few times I've had to send a gun "home" for service I had sent a detailed description of the problem plus pictures. One time, when a gun was shooting way high (my Browning 1911-22), I sent a series of target pictures with the letter. They fixed the gun and sent back a target picture of how it worked after they fixed it. Cool Also, the person who tested it wasn't as accurate a shooter as I am, and that was sort of cool also since the target showed that it was actually shot by a person holding the gun and not clamped in a gun rest vise.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That looks pretty chewed up. Here's how my SAS, late Oct. 2016 production looks that I bought new. I only have two magazines fired through it though. Haven't taken it to the range in several years. When I had to send it back to Sig they supposedly fired two or three magazines through it as well. They didn't fix the mag release problem I sent it in for, I had to buy the updated part and fix it myself. :( Though they supposedly upgraded the magazine release spring according to the paperwork, and it does seem a bit more stout than the original. The few rounds I fired through it were very accurate on paper at 27 yards, and the gun seems pretty well put together aside from the magazine release problem I had, which is why I haven't sold it up til now.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
You can prevent a lot of wear and perhaps this failure by applying grease to the rails. The guns pictured look pretty much dry (unless they were cleaned of lube prior to taking pics).

Sliding things, includes barrel, hood lock up surfaces, barrel lug and rails, all get grease (I use Super Lube synthetic). The parts that pivot get oil (I use Super Lube oil) - though any good grease and oil will work fine. Super Lube is clean to work with and does a good job.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Next time I shoot it, if that ever happens I plan on lubing it with gun oil as I do with all my guns. I think when I originally shot it I put some caseys gun oil on the rails and a drop or two on the barrel and barrel hood. But that was years ago so it has dried up. I knew I was only going to run a few rounds through it at the time. If I start shooting it regularly it will get the normal maintenance that all my guns do. I don't know if Sig put any gun oil on it before shooting when they did the test fire after "fixing" it, but it doesn't look so.

·
Registered
8,473 Posts
Again, oil is infinitely better than dry, but SIG (and mechanical good sense) dictates grease on the parts that slide. The reason grease is called for, is that it tends to stay in place to prevent wear on surfaces that rub against each other. Oil gets displaced in that application. I wouldn't rack the slide on a gun with no lube.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I can see grease on the barrel lug, but I always hesitate to put grease in places that might decrease the reliability of the gun by possibly making it tighter in tolerances than the original specs. I prefer just to be careful on maintanence and oil things more. And let the parts wear together over time.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Just saying it’ll be it’s 3rd trip back to NH... just hoping CS listens to what I have to say this time lol
FYI, the very few times I've had a gun sent back to the manufacturer more than once for defects I have asked for a new gun. Sometimes that actually works but at least it usually gets your issue bumped up the organization chart.
When you contact SIG include documentation of the previous returns including previous RA#/rework numbers (I used copies of letters and/or emails); the more, the better.
It's OK to express your frustration with your "$500 paperweight", but, of course, always keep it polite.
Good luck. Let us know what happens.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts