SIG Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for an AR10 rifle and think that the Sig 716i matches with my requirements but I see that the only ones I can find are the version that comes with the BDX scope already attached from the factory. Does anyone know how the scope is attached and how easy it is to remove so I can replace it with a scope and mount of my choosing? I know that sometimes "factory mounted" can mean that it is really on there good and almost no amount of torque and heat can get it off without doing some damage. From the fact that there are a bunch available with the scope and none without, I also am concerned that others have found the scope to be an issue. Unfortunately there are none available locally, so I can't just go to the store and check it out - anything would need to be shipped to my local FFL.

Thanks for any insight or help.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have never owned or shot the Tread version. Have Gen 1 and Gen 2 716 models and they are solid performers. Heavy but on point. It was my first intro to piston operated gas system and I am hooked. The only problem is keeping them away from son and brother especially since it is deer season coming up.

I have a BDX Whiskey 3 mounted on one and has not been a bit of trouble. Still have yet to figure out the BDX combo pack with the Range Finder and the app. I'll let me son figure it out and then he can show me (if I ever get back from him).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I searched and only found what appears to be a mocked picture of the scope mounted as every pic shows the clamping nuts to be on the other side, regardless of what side of the rifle is in the pic. The typical torque standard on the cross bolt is 65 inch pounds and normally a 1/2" nut. It will be easy to remove. It wouldn't surprise me that Sig is only pushing out the package to move the scopes.

r716i-16b-trd-bdx

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 716i Tread with the factory attached BDX scope. It was simply clamped to the picatinny rail, very easy to remove with a small allen wrench.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up getting the 716i Tread with the BDX scope. It is easily removed, but for now I am keeping it attached to see how I like the BDX system - once I get enough range time I will decide if I want to keep it permanantly or go with something I am more familiar with. Overall it is a really nice rifle and I am very happy I didn't let the factory attached scope prevent me from purchasing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts