SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had a Yugo SKS for many years which is a good shooter and, after a bit of rebuilding, has worked very well. Even decently accurate out to 100 yards.

The only issue is that it is soooooo bloody heavy. The thing is a brick that I pretty much only shoot off of a tripod I have on it.

So I am considering swapping it for something else. I am not a huge AR or AK fan. They are fine, but really hold no interest for me.

I am probably more interested in something like an M14.

I would like to stay with a 7.62x39 because I like the round and I still have quite a lot of it.

Suggestions on what I should look at?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
RatBikeRod, if you've got it all "blinged up", strip it down to its basics. Get some 10 round strippers. Remove the grenade launcher, and it's associated sights, and if necessary, get a lightweight synthetic stock.
The round still packs some punch, for it's size, and it was designed for point blank, to 300 meters, generally, to support Soviet Warfare doctrine with mechanized infantry.
Yes, a 7.62 Nato rifle is great, for reaching out there to 600+meters, and the M1A has the best sights available in the non-optic world.
When you look at the cost of ammunition, you'll get more "Bang for the Buck" with the 7.62x39, over the 7.62x51.

Bottom line, keep the SKS, and save your pennies shooting it, so you can buy the M1A!

Reactions: ni hao

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Willard, I do already have a synthetic stock on it (the folder) and a tripod which does not help on the weight of course.

I actually put a fiber optic ring sight on it some years ago that is super easy to pick up and it is dead on. Have the upgraded spring loaded firing pin and such, so it is pretty blinded out already (I will post a pic).

I don't shoot my long guns much at all. Really just puts about with it. M1A would be nice.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I don't know how heavy the commercial M-14's are compared to the original military M-14's. I do know from lots of personal experience, the military version is very heavy even without ammunition. I carried that "Mother" for hundreds of miles while in Officer Candidate School in Ft. Belvoir, VA. Take my word, it is heavy and would not be my choice.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I own both of these rifles and like them both. If you think the SKS is heavy, wait until you carry an M1A with loaded mags! The M1A is a much heavier weapon, but is also one of the finest weapons ever made!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I always forget how much I actually like this SKS until I pull it out and mess about with it. It is actually pretty decent. Probably just keep it for now being that I have no real need for anything different.

Looking at these pic's, I could probably remove all of the grenade launcher hardware and lighten it up quite a bit. Although the range ramp always struck me as kinda cool and interesting little ladder work.

Here are a few shots;

Rear peep and bolt;

Fiber optic front;

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
lamarw, yes it was heavy, I carried one for the first 4 years, in the Corps. But it was nothing when you start sending large volumes of accurate aimed fire down range... at longer ranges, than the M16/M16A1 allowed.
As far as the commercial models, go, as long as it's not a "Match" model with a heavier profile barrel, they will weigh about the same. As a matter of fact, I've got one that's all GI except for the mid '80s Springfield Armory receiver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Check out a Sig 556XI Russian if you like the 7.62x39. It is my go to Hog gun equipped with an Aimpoint Comp M3.

Reactions: JohnnyLoco

·
Registered
481 Posts
If weight is a main concern and you want to stick with the 7.62x39 then a stamped AK is probably going to be your best option. Even though you say you don't really want an AK.

I'm going to throw a "no" vote for the Ruger mini 30. Mostly due to the propriety magazines. I always wished Ruger had designed the mini 14 and 30 to use AR and AK magazines since they are cheap and plentiful.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I always wished Ruger had designed the mini 14 and 30 to use AR and AK magazines since they are cheap and plentiful.
Agreed it would be nice but in all fairness the Mini's were designed in a time when it wasn't in vogue to share mags with AR's or AK's, they've been around quite a while.

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
Bill Ruger was a contrarian of the old school.
If overseas orders hadn't pushed it, the mini would never had a magazine capacity of greater then 10 rounds.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Sig 556R classic if you can find one. It's a pretty awesome rifle. Mine is set up with an acog and shoots MOA. I like mine with Swiss 551 handguards.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I really like my CZ527M. It's very light and comfortable to carry. Recoil is a little heavier than an AK. I haven't shot it with the scope yet and I may eventually remove it.

Five round detachable box magazine, cock on opening, set trigger.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am now looking at 300 Blackout as well. I realized today that my 300 Wisper Contender will also shoot Blackout. Soooo maybe a Blackout to replace the SKS. Just the down side of added ammo cost.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts