SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
In my book, its a great idea. Just buy a 357 Sig barrel. Unless there is something different about the DAK, you can use the same magazines. You can convert from one caliber to the other in seconds by simply swapping the barrel.

There maybe adjustments or different sights required for target zero. I will let other with more knowledge address this issue.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Well, 357 SIG can be fun to shoot but the ammunition is significantly more expensive. For self-defense purposes I am not convinced that 357 SIG has any real ballistic advantages for the civilian.

A barrel change should be all that is required. 357 SIG will shoot to a bit different point of impact than .40 S&W but the difference is not all that great. The POI for 357 SIG at typical SD ranges is a bit lower than that of .40 S&W so a small adjustment in hold will probably be necessary if you shoot both calibers out of the same slide with the same sights.

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMHO, the .357 SIG was a solution to a problem that did not exist. That being said, I did at one time own several guns chambered in the caliber and I think it was a noble cause to design the cartridge.

Pros:

If you're in the Sanow/Marshall camp, you get ballistics equivalent to the venerable .357 magnum 125gr. JHP which those authors document as the *best* ever one shot stop round in history. This has to be taken with a grain of salt though. At the time of their treatise on stopping power, the .357 125 was also probably the most popular round so it might have had some sort of statistical advantage over the others looked at due to more actual shooting data being available. Additionally, one shot stops were much more important with 6 shot revolvers.

Bottleneck case design. This has some theoretical advantage from a feeding reliability standpoint.

Cons: COST

In summary, I do like the idea of it and even owned it myself for a while however, it never really caught on and hence became just too expensive to shoot.

I guess if I had lots of extra disposable income and didn't care, I would probably use it. If I was only buying a single gun and wanted the best possible caliber (assuming you believe some of the studies out there) then I might still choose it. But, I don't think I would ever buy a .357 SIG barrel if I was already well armed with a .40 S&W.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I have four P229's and a P226, all in 40. Have three 357 SIG barrels and a fair amount of 357 ammo - - though I almost never shoot 357.

40 suppresses better, especially in the heavier bullet weights which are all subsonic - most all 357s are well into the supersonic range.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A great BIG Thank-You for your feed back. The fever is gone with reading your posts. You have saved me the cost of a .357sig barrel and I'm satisfied with the 40mm. Thanks for the info and opinions.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
There is no reason why you shouldn't, IMO. I had a .357 Sig barrel for my P229 years ago, and I think it's almost a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
Well, the 40MM is a little difficult to conceal but, it can be pretty handy in **** mode! I have a special place in my heart for the Mark 19 chambered in 40MM.:D
Back in the day, I had a guy in my platoon called "Short Round". With an M 79 and Kentucky windage he could put a round in the back pocket of a man running away. Maybe a little stretch but he was good.

Reactions: Armymark

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
I have .40 and .357 barrels for my 229R DAK.

I never use the .40, but keep it for flexibility purposes in the event of another ammo shortage.

.357 is way more fun to shoot.

Reactions: 3 minutes till 4

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thought I'd furnish update. Called Sig. My DAK (frame made in Germany) won't take the .357 barrel. Not the barrel, but the "block" in the frame is "different" and the block is the reason for the non fit. Just furnishing for info.

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
Well, the 40MM is a little difficult to conceal but, it can be pretty handy in **** mode! I have a special place in my heart for the Mark 19 chambered in 40MM.:D
ROFLMAO!!!! :lolu:

I "read right over" that! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Block can be replaced.

German frame should take standard locking block and enable 357 SIG goodness.

Did you already buy the 357 barrel?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Since I got the .357 barrel for my P229 .40 and my wife's P239 .40 we retired the .40 barrels and keep them for flexibility. Going to switch the front sights from #6 to #8 soon to match POA/POI. I rather hold a bit lower when shooting .40 out of a .357 slide than higher when it's the other way around.

Reactions: 3 minutes till 4

·
Registered
15,562 Posts
I did that back in January when Sig had that special of 20% off of any one item. Got lucky in that that barrel was on sale at the time. It is just a drop in exchange, plus the 40 S&W mags work for the 357 Sig .

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Thought I'd furnish update. Called Sig. My DAK (frame made in Germany) won't take the .357 barrel. Not the barrel, but the "block" in the frame is "different" and the block is the reason for the non fit. Just furnishing for info.
Have you purchased a 357 SIG barrel for your P226? I am very curious what SIG CS meant as the 357 SIG and 40 S&W P226 barrels have identical external dimensions. I have done considerable research on the interchangeability of the P226 barrels and have found no issues, even with German frames, swapping barrels, especially between 40 and 357 SIG.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts