SIG Talk banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
There is no perfect caliber, just a great many calibers, each very good in selected factors of comparison.

For me... .40S&W comes closest, combining excellent terminal ballistics, great penetration through barriers and bone with little to no deflection, high capacity nearly that of 9mm, and comfortable shoot ability in pistols which were well-designed for the caliber (M&P40, P320 40, HK 40, PPQ 40).

Though I have a G22 and a G23, I'm not so much of a fan of Glock forties, as they are the platform that fostered people thinking that for .40S&W feels "snappy'. .40S&W feels great in pistols which were well-designed specifically for this caliber - not pistols that were designed for 9mm and adapted to .40S&W.
Sig p229 and HK Uspc for 357sig.

·
Registered
380 Posts
LE with thirty years on the road. I've put down many deer that have been struck by cars and I have the following observations; 9mm terrible results and requires multiple shots, 357 Sig better but not great and always required more than one shot, 40S&W rarely more than one shot. One of my guys has a son who's a guide in Maine and he carries a 40S&W when baiting for bear.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Reliable is in the hands of the shooter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I prefer 357 Sig. Followup shots are much easier with a 9mm and it is certainly deadly, but I've seen too many videos of gunfights where people shot numerous times keep shooting back, so I want the most power I can get in a gun that I can carry concealed. If I ever have to shoot anyone, I want them to know they've been shot. 357 Sig 125 gr rounds rated at over 600fpe can be had from Underwood, Buffalo bore, and even PPU. I've chronographed Underwood 65gr Extreme Defenders out of my 3 1/2 inch barreled Sig P224 at 2100fps/636fpe. Those would probably punch through body armor. I live 5 miles from the Aurora Theaters where James Holmes-- wearing body armor-- killed 12 and wounded another 70. Liberty Defense makes a 50gr round that they rate it at 2300 fps that probably could do the same, though I never clocked them myself. 357 Sig has a significant muzzle blast, but it actually kicks slightly less than 40SW. With the higher velocity, hollow points open up more reliably (bigger) than 40SW, so I'm betting the holes are going to be just as big..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'd consider the following factors before making a decision. Price and AVAILABILITY of factory ammo in your area. Factory 357 Sig ammo is much more expensive than either factory 9 mm, or 40 S&W ammo. Do you reload? If so, I'd definitely consider the 357 Sig if you have experience loading bottleneck ammo. Otherwise I'd go with factory 9 mm ammo. JMHO opinion after 40 some years of reloading.
9mm is the hardest to get anytime there is a run on ammo, followed by 40sw, and then 357Sig. If my life is on the line, and extra $15 or $20 bucks for premium defensive ammo is nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For those of you who swap .40 call for .357 Sig do you also have to adjust your sights? I have an H&K USP .40 with a .357 Sig barrel. The .357 Sig shoots left compared to the .40 S&W. It's true the Federal Air Marshals carry .357 Sig while the Flight Deck officers carry .40 S&W. I was told by the instructors it was a matter of which manufacturer came in with the lowest bid. I would take the .357 Sig over the 9mm because of the ballistics, but I carry a P365 so I am stuck with the 9mm.
Yes. The e front sight needs to be the same as a 9mm or it will shoot low if you use a 357 Sig conversion barrel in a 40SW. In classic Sigs you go from I think a size 6 to a size 8 (higher number =shorter sight). I just changed out the front sights on my Sig P224 ad P226 about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for that. However, my question involves caliber/capability and reliability, and although not mentioned in the title, capacity.

My .40 S&W P229 had what Sig said was an over pressure blow out which blew out the extractor making the gun unusable in a defensive situation.

I have read that both the 9mm and the .357SIG are less likely to suffer over pressure blow outs than the .40 S&W.

I have read, but do not personally know, that the bottle-necked .357SIG feeds more reliably.

I purchased my P229 d in 1992-1993 with 12-round .40/.357 magazines which I can legally possess and use in California because it was prior to California's 10-round magazine ban.

I am limited to 10 rounds in California with 9mm. So, 9mm is out of the question unless it is a more capable and reliable defensive round.

I have the .357SIG oem Sig barrel for the P229 which I have never shot. When I receive the repaired slide back from Sig I will shoot the .357SIG and decide whether or not I want to put the time into becoming proficient with it.

If I decide to become proficient with it, I will likely buy a single stage reloading press for the .357SIG and carry it (although I can also carry the .45 ACP P220 and the .44 S&W).

So, my particular situation is a little more narrower than a true caliber war.

Reliability, capability and capacity -- in that order for my particular circumstances.
If any semi-auto seems picky with ammo, you need to send it back to the manufacturer to get it fixed or sell it. My P224 and P320 were both picky when I got them. I sent them back, sig changed some parts at no charge, and both were 100% reliable afterwards. The armorers knew exactly what they needed to do to make the guns work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LE with thirty years on the road. I've put down many deer that have been struck by cars and I have the following observations; 9mm terrible results and requires multiple shots, 357 Sig better but not great and always required more than one shot, 40S&W rarely more than one shot. One of my guys has a son who's a guide in Maine and he carries a 40S&W when baiting for bear.
The 357 Sig was probably less reliable, because most of the357 Sig rounds available from the big ammo manufacturers, except for PPU, are loaded down.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Ballistics, penetration, and flattest trajectory all go to the 357Sig. Reliability for the 357Sig is better as well as necked down cartridges are less prone to hanging up as they feed. Flash and retort are higher but I honestly don't notice any meaningful difference over 40 but I do see a solid improvement in performance.

At the end of the day, shot placement trumps caliber. I shoot the 357Sig at least as well as 9, so I shoot 9 all day for plinking (when ammo prices return to "normal") but carry 357Sig.

Reactions: dpadams6

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
There are so few LE agencies using 357sig (both Fed. Air Marshals and US Secret Service have moved back to 9mm) that there's a real lack of objective data to support many of the claims made by fans of it. There's also essentially zero LE data supporting the allegation that 40cal or 9mm have any feeding issues due to cartridge shape, so the cartridge shape of the 357sig only offers a theoretical feeding advantage over the 40 and 9.

The 357sig is a boutique round and a novelty, so I may buy a pistol in that caliber some day for s%#*s and giggles.

·
Registered
6,204 Posts
A 357 SIG loaded like Underwood, CorBon or Doubletap does, is as close to a 357 Magnum, as intended.
I am sure the receving end of this round will not forget it. Bears, Cougars, etc would more than likely feel it.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts