SIG Talk banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm old school and old lol. I know the 357 sig is better then the .45 but thats what I'm use to and can shoot very accurately. But respect others choices, to each there own

Attachments

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hard to beat the ballistics of .357 Sig. Easy to beat the cost of .357 Sig. For me when figuring cost and practice time, I prefer .40. Nothing wrong with any of the 3 calibers. Shoot the one you like/have ammo for/can afford. I shoot all 3 but mostly .40.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Surprisingly, 357 sig has been cheaper than 9mm lately. SGammo had hp 357 sig for .60 a round, and when I could find hp 9mm, they were about .70 a round. This ammo shortage sucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Anybody experience any differences in .40 S&W vs .357 SIG

Failure to feed?

Failure to eject?

·
Registered
7 Posts
From my perspective the higher muzzle velocity of the 357 SIG makes it a bit more difficult to control recoil and stay on target with follow on shots. I prefer the 40 S&W for this reason.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Having shot both from the same pistol (switched barrels), 357 sig actually has a bit less recoil than the 40.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the P229.
I have .40 S&W, 9mm and .357 Sig barrels for it.
I will carry it for personal defense against humans (vs black bears which I also encounter).
.40 S&W vs. 9mm vs. .357 Sig which is more reliable and more appropriate for EDC personal defense?
All are good but I prefer the 357sig.

Reactions: dpadams6

·
Registered
49 Posts
If bears are a real possibility, I would want something bigger. Otherwise, during my career, everyone of my friends that shot someone with a 9mm killed them. It comes down to what you shoot best with. I am happy with Federal 9mm HST +P or Winchester Ranger +P

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thank you for that. However, my question involves caliber/capability and reliability, and although not mentioned in the title, capacity.

My .40 S&W P229 had what Sig said was an over pressure blow out which blew out the extractor making the gun unusable in a defensive situation.

I have read that both the 9mm and the .357SIG are less likely to suffer over pressure blow outs than the .40 S&W.

I have read, but do not personally know, that the bottle-necked .357SIG feeds more reliably.

I purchased my P229 d in 1992-1993 with 12-round .40/.357 magazines which I can legally possess and use in California because it was prior to California's 10-round magazine ban.

I am limited to 10 rounds in California with 9mm. So, 9mm is out of the question unless it is a more capable and reliable defensive round.

I have the .357SIG oem Sig barrel for the P229 which I have never shot. When I receive the repaired slide back from Sig I will shoot the .357SIG and decide whether or not I want to put the time into becoming proficient with it.

If I decide to become proficient with it, I will likely buy a single stage reloading press for the .357SIG and carry it (although I can also carry the .45 ACP P220 and the .44 S&W).

So, my particular situation is a little more narrower than a true caliber war.

Reliability, capability and capacity -- in that order for my particular circumstances.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
EVERYTHING we discuss in personal defense related forums is a trade off. Size vs portability vs capacity vs cost What is the best, common, round for personal defense? Probably a 12 gauge shotgun. Why do we use handguns? Because it is hard to holster and carry a 12 gauge shotgun and they are heavy. Only you can decide which trade offs are valuable to you. Smaller round more capacity? Faster round more cost? Penetration vs expansion. Revolver vs more capacity. If there were one perfect round or weapon we would not be having these conversations. They are all trade-offs. Look at the lists and you will see what trade-offs are most important to most people. You have now named them. 9mm, .40., 357 SIG (add 45 and 380). Which one are you? Take your pick. They are all good choices and have their various merits.

And be careful with costs of rounds. Especially what amounts to the boutique rounds (not speaking of .357Sig and 10 mm). Speaking of rounds like 5.7x26 that cost $1 (one dollar) per shot. Range trips get spendy there. Great round. Fast. Great penetration. Huge capacity. Low recoil. Too expensive for most of us to use.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I am limited to 10 rounds in California with 9mm. So, 9mm is out of the question unless it is a more capable and reliable defensive round.
That's a good point that myself and many others outside of capacity limited States don't consider. If I were limited to 10 rounds (and carrying guns I already own) I'd carry either my P320 Sub Compact .40 , P220 10mm or maybe a revolver occasionally.

As I have stated before everyone's individual situation is different. I'm not concerned with reliability with any of my "carry" guns or calibers. I make the guns, and ammo prove themselves to me before I consider carrying them. A failure with range ammo wouldn't bother me much. (but...a failure like the OP's would probably have me choosing something else to carry until I had ran a ton of self defense ammo through the gun that had the failure.)

Once again, good point on the capacity limit in your State. Get yourself a Glock 29 and dare the bear to mess with you. (I'm a poet LOL)

·
Premium Member
Have many...
34 Posts
Not sure I really care what caliber you carry. Heck a .380 caliber carrier can be lethal if they know what they are doing...yes, carry what you are comfortable with, taking into account your budget, availability of ammo, sure, factors to consider...but if you carry and do not train, you have no idea how you will react under stress. I read about the firearms instructor saying "...65% of shots fired by LEOs in a defensive situation miss their target." That has nothing to do with the pistol, the caliber, etc...has everything to do with training and exposure to stress...as a civilian it is difficult to train to a level that you experience the physical and psychological stress of a gun fight, in the military it was much easier, and even easier to be placed in those real life situations. ...but I guarantee you shooting at a paper target in a calm environment will likely bring you up short if you find yourself in a gun fight. There are courses out there that can close this gap but also encouraging reading...quick reference is a book by Dave Grossman, On Combat, On Killing...this will help understand what I am talking about...anyways good discussion by all

·
Registered
127 Posts
At one point this preference was exactly that - the user's preference.

Seems like today it boils down to what ammo you have on hand. As bad as that sounds, if you were able to stock up on ammo before all of this craze, then you are in pretty good shape.

My .40 is pretty depleted but I still have an ample amount of JHP for personal defense. I am sitting pretty comfortable on .357 Sig in both FMJ and JHP. The same for 9mm in FMJ and JHP. I was fortunate to recently stock up on 10mm in both FMJ and JHP. However, my .45 stash is very low.

For the most part, I am able to carry the 9 and .357 without any issues since I have weapons capable of concealing, not just Sigs models. I still count my S&W MP Shield 9 as very reliable and "carryable" firearms. We also have a Sig P290 and a Ruger LC9S that are very concealable pocket carry, both of those in 9mm.

I am able to keep a few firearms and shotguns hidden around our house and garage.

As I have always said to colleagues and family members, the best defensive weapon to have is the one you can put your hands on first. That is why I think it is imperative to practice shooting different makes, models and calibers so you at least know what to expect when you pull that trigger and it goes BOOM.

Oddly enough the only pistol caliber I don't have is a 22LR. I mention this because I have a few thousand rounds (along with 17 HMR Mach 2) that are pretty much plinking rifle ammo. Both still fun to shoot.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have nothing intelligent to say except I like bigger hole so .40 for me. 😊

·
Registered
192 Posts
For the OP regarding .40 over pressure. I and everyone else in my department put a couple thousand rounds each through our P229s every year and have for about 15 yrs. I confirmed with our FIs and a couple armorers at HQ; in all that time we have never experienced an over pressure with factory ammo and a gun that was in good repair. Your experience obviously was different. Only you can judge your confidence with the caliber and loading.
I use 9mm on duty, .40s&w off duty, and .357Sig or .357 Mag when afield.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hard to beat the ballistics of .357 Sig. Easy to beat the cost of .357 Sig. For me when figuring cost and practice time, I prefer .40. Nothing wrong with any of the 3 calibers. Shoot the one you like/have ammo for/can afford. I shoot all 3 but mostly .40.
Not these days.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was testing out the 40S&W and .357sig side by side on a P229C recently. It’s true what many members say. They both have more recoil than a 9mm. The 40S&W does have more muzzle rise than the .357sig. The .357sig has more of a backwards recoil as this cartridge is designed like a rifle round. This allows for better stay on target for follow up shots. With faster speeds and thus better ballistics, the .357sig is my choice for EDC.

·
Registered
258 Posts
There is no perfect caliber, just a great many calibers, each very good in selected factors of comparison.

For me... .40S&W comes closest, combining excellent terminal ballistics, great penetration through barriers and bone with little to no deflection, high capacity nearly that of 9mm, and comfortable shoot ability in pistols which were well-designed for the caliber (M&P40, P320 40, HK 40, PPQ 40).

Though I have a G22 and a G23, I'm not so much of a fan of Glock forties, as they are the platform that fostered people thinking that for .40S&W feels "snappy'. .40S&W feels great in pistols which were well-designed specifically for this caliber - not pistols that were designed for 9mm and adapted to .40S&W.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts