SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to buy a Nightmare Carry in .357 Sig does anyone offer a 4-4.25" barrel in .40 S&W that would fit the Nightmare? I really want a commander sized 1911 in .40 and the round butt Nightmare frame really cranks my tractor :D

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sig only makes 40 cal 1911s in gov't size. I guess the barrel might fit and you could call Sig and ask but then it would have to be cut down.

You could buy a lot of bulk 357 for the cost of conversion. Great looking pistol.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if not what kinda expense would be involved in cutting and recrowning a .40 barrel from a Match Elite or the Max Michael to match the .357 Sig barrel, the .357 Sig mags will feed .40 no problem I'm sure

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
suspect you will get what you pay for with a $55 barrel, but seemingly, yes. Was really just trying to give you some hope that there IS a possible solution to your dilemma.
thanks, I've read into the swenson barrels some and found mostly bad reviews on them, If I get the Nightmare in .357 Sig I will probably buy a 5" barrel and have it cut down to commander length and recrowned.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
You might want to check the mags. If they are like the single stack 239 mags, the 40 may not work. The 239-357 mags have a dimple for the nose of the round to help guide it.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,263 Posts
Have you considered Bar-Sto, they have been making 1911 barrels close to 50 years...
Bar-Sto Precision Machine

For magazines... Wilson Combat

Good Luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
my carry caliber of choice :)
That's Cool. I personally prefer to carry 357SIG over 40S&W. In my experience the terminal ballistics outperform the 40, and the bottleneck case of the 357 SIG can lessen the likelihood of a untimely malfunction. I like 40 only for the range. Its a lot easier to reload.

But that's not what you asked about so I digress..:D

Hope you can locate a barrel.

·
Premium Member
18,559 Posts
If I get the Nightmare in .357 Sig I will probably buy a 5" barrel and have it cut down to commander length and recrowned.
Good morning and welcome to SIG Talk!

Before you buy a 5" barrel with the intent of chopping some length, I'll suggest you do some measurements on a 1911 barrel you already own. Doing the conversion you suggest is not merely a matter of removing some material, that would be far too easy. You will also need to figure out a way to add some material.

The area of concern is the OD of the barrel at the muzzle end, the portion that mates with the bushing. You will find the OD measurement of the barrel within approximately 3/4" of the muzzle to be a bit larger diameter than the remainder of the barrel toward the chamber end. This design allows for a good, tight lock up but free travel of the barrel through the bushing while the firearm cycles. Cutting off this portion of the barrel will have an adverse impact on lock up of your 1911, impacting accuracy and most likely reliability.

Unless you can come up with a way to add some material to the end of the barrel, I think you will want to proceed with caution.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's Cool. I personally prefer to carry 357SIG over 40S&W. In my experience the terminal ballistics outperform the 40, and the bottleneck case of the 357 SIG can lessen the likelihood of a untimely malfunction. I like 40 only for the range. Its a lot easier to reload.

But that's not what you asked about so I digress..:D

Hope you can locate a barrel.
I can match and exceed .357 Sig performance with the .40 just through load selection, the 135 nosler @ 1480 fps will hit within 24ft-lbs of Ke as the 125 gr. Sig and get better penetration, plus it can't get close to the heavy weights in the .40

·
Registered
552 Posts
I can match and exceed .357 Sig performance with the .40 just through load selection, the 135 nosler @ 1480 fps will hit within 24ft-lbs of Ke as the 125 gr. Sig and get better penetration, plus it can't get close to the heavy weights in the .40
WOW! 135gr @ 1480! Is that 5" bbl?
I only got to (avg) 1310 fps with 155 gr HND XTP in a 4.6" (P226) before they became wildly inaccurate. I've never tried lighter than 150 gr in 40... but I got some 135g Noslers an 115 gr Lehigh Def, so I might try some those and see.

Now, I did get your numbers in my 10mm 1911 with AA#7, but not 40. In fact, at 1500+ fps I was getting case bulge (Glock Smiles) in 10mm.

However I got 357 SIG to POA at 1460 with 125gr GD. So for me, so far, its been better. But I'm always open to new recipes :)

But for SD CCW I mostly stick with major manufacturers production loads, and the 357SIG , best I can tell, has the better numbers.

Sorry, this is starting to turn into a reloading thread :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.