Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i have a p320 full size .40 s&W
current working up reloads using cfe pistol and speer 165 gr tmj
now that im up to 2 gr from max my col is differing
its not below my lee manual witch states 1.25 min and my lyman 1.20
but i like my lee manual as im using lee 4 die carbide set
my col is differing from 1.270 witch i like to .005 below min in lee oal min requirements is that ok or should i worry
im thinking its the bullet but i cant understand why the difference between each
any imput is appreciated thanks

·
Premium Member
3,320 Posts
Welcome to SigTalk LEGION27. I haven't reloaded in years so I'm no source. I did want to take to opportunity to extend a welcome and I do hope you enjoy your time here. Greetings from the flat lands of Kansas.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
LEIGION27 I tend to load only 155gr for my 40sw over the last 15 years and I finally moved up to a progressive and still use a lee 4 die set . Also have a rcbs rock crusher I use more for higher level ammo . OAL can vari but with my rcbs pro 2000 run out of 2 to 4ths is common. Half that with the single stage Check the insert in your bullet seating die to see that you have one to match your bullet type but all press's are not equal too .

Bullet seating inserts to match a bullet help tighten oal but good equipment goes a looong way in maintaining tighter oal controls . Closer you load to max the better your equipment better be .

I have yet to try CFE but want to . Still working on a to many pounds of HP-38 and TG .

Only 165gr are gold dots 40sw and there loaded shorter at 1.118 to 1.20 . I shoot mostly hi tek coated swc bullets for practice ammo .

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
0.005" is nothing to worry about at all and can easily be caused by slight differences in bullet ogives. Good quality printer paper is around 0.004" for a frame of reference here.

Continue on and don't let it bother you.

·
Registered
596 Posts
hey all i have a p320 full size .40 s&W
current working up reloads using cfe pistol and speer 165 gr tmj
now that im up to 2 gr from max my col is differing
its not below my lee manual witch states 1.25 min and my lyman 1.20
but i like my lee manual as im using lee 4 die carbide set
my col is differing from 1.270 witch i like to .005 below min in lee oal min requirements is that ok or should i worry
im thinking its the bullet but i cant understand why the difference between each
any imput is appreciated thanks
Those OAL are too long for 40S&W, are you maybe looking at the 10mm data by mistake?

Variation in the bullets ogive will cause some change but it should be minimal in an FMJ pistol bullet. Most 40 caliber bullets are flat nosed, so make sure you are using an appropriate seating stem for flat nosed bullets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys for all your input
the speer 165 tmj that i have are "total metal jacket"
im using data for a a 165 grain jacketed bullet 6.8 is max ive worked up to 6.6 gr cfe pistol
ive read that the bullets i am using are considered copper plated? max on those with cfe p is 7.5 any info is appreciated
i would really like to know if they are jacketed or plated lol
cheers

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
This what Speer says about their TMJ bullets:

THE ULTIMATE FMJ BULLET. Speer® uses Uni-Cor® technology to take full metal jacket bullets to their highest level of evolution. We completely encase the lead core in a seamless jacket. Other FMJ bullets have lead exposed at the base, or have an accuracy-robbing second piece to cover the lead. Those bases can deform under pressure. TMJ’s seamless jacket means this can’t happen. Airborne lead goes down, and TMJs won’t foul ported recoil compensators like open-base bullets do. We swage each bullet twice, ensuring consistent diameters and a uniform heel. TMJ® bullets are great for casual practice and plinking because, in addition to being super-accurate, they are economical. Insist on the original—Speer TMJ has been copied but never matched.

It sounds an awful lot like a plated bullet to me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
TMJ are Bonded FMJ bullets. They are not plated. Speer does also have plated bullets but I'm unsure if they sell them for reloading. The plated bullets are used in the "LAWMAN" series of ammo.

The TMJ is a full metal jacketed bullet and I've driven them beyond 1300 in my Glock 20 and over 1400 in my 357 SIG's with excellent performance. Economical they are NOT. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i spoke with speer about their tmj bullets they replied that they are plated
i thought jacketed held together better then plated ? sry if im incorrect
my manuals list copper plated as a higher max using cfe p but im thinking that min oal length comes into play

·
Registered
596 Posts
I think the confusion comes from the fact that Speer are using "Uni-Cor" technology which is their way of saying that they are "plating" the lead cores. But the fact is that the TMJ and Gold Dot is not comparable to a typical "plated" bullet in that the plating is very thick and their thickness is comparable to a true "metal jacket".

As far as loading them, Speer's data is comparable to FMJ loads. The TMJ and GD bullet are able to withstand top velocities and maintain accuracy because of the thickness of the "plating".

If you compare the "Lawman" ammunition from Speer in common calibers with the TMJ bullets they sell for reloading, you can see that they are not the same.

·
Registered
552 Posts
i spoke with speer about their tmj bullets they replied that they are plated
i thought jacketed held together better then plated ? sry if im incorrect
my manuals list copper plated as a higher max using cfe p but im thinking that min oal length comes into play
Plated bullets will run slightly faster than the equivalent jacketed and a little slower than lead.

I always load plated bullet in between the jacketed and lead data for a given weight. Either way, keep the plated under 1200 fps (or slower) or they will give very bad accuracy. Also, flare the case mouth a little more than with jacketed and only a very light crimp on plated. You will find the sweet spot with test loads.
I love CFE-Pistol. Its like HS6 with flash inhibitor and fouling reducers and its VERY consistent.

As others have said, your COL differences are mostly due to bullet tip inconsistencies.

I'm not certain about whether Speer's TMJ are plated or not. I have never used them. But if you can see indentations on the bullet from light strikes on the table or from your seating stem, then I would treat them as plated. True jacketed bullets are much tougher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am using the 165 grn GDHP in my Sig P226. I have loaded them to an OAL of both 1.125 and 1.130. Both seem to function reliably. However in my reloading manuals, I see the min is 1.120. Am I on thin ice with my OAL?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.