SIG Talk banner

380 pocket pistols?

3047 88
I am considering getting either an lcp or glock 42 amd maybe selling my p365 380. Anybody have any combination of these and compare them? Which do you like best and why? I like my sig but it's too heavy for pocket carry. Thoughts and opinions welcome, thanks
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am considering getting either an lcp or glock 42 amd maybe selling my p365 380. Anybody have any combination of these and compare them? Which do you like best and why? I like my sig but it's too heavy for pocket carry. Thoughts and opinions welcome, thanks
Consider a SIG P230/232,IMHO the finest 380 acp ever offered.there are the all SS models and if you find that model weighty,look at the SS slide,alloy frame models.Ergonomically near perfect and a dead straight shooters,today's 380acp defensive ammo is more than adequate for self defense.I have several of these now banned pistols and can attest that the SIG P 230/232 is the choice for everyday carry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is only a 2 oz weight difference between the Glock 42 and the 365 if you want to lower the weight even more use Liberty civil defense for the 365...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Consider a SIG P230/232,IMHO the finest 380 acp ever offered.there are the all SS models and if you find that model weighty,look at the SS slide,alloy frame models.Ergonomically near perfect and a dead straight shooters,today's 380acp defensive ammo is more than adequate for self defense.I have several of these now banned pistols and can attest that the SIG P 230/232 is the choice for everyday carry.
I have always wanted one, and previously had a Walther PPK, which is about the same thing. Good shooter, but in my opinion, too heavy for pocket carry

·
Registered
S&W M&P 15 + SD40 VE, Springfield 1911 Mil-spec + XD-9, Sig P238, Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm
10 Posts
I prefer to wear a P238 on my ankle. It's very tiny, similar to an LCP II but a little heavier and slightly bigger which isn't really an issue when on the ankle. Also, they have a CA compliant version. I find wearing it on the inside of my left ankle is perfect when in the car as that puts it in the absolute perfect position to very quickly, easily, and discretely grab it in case a bad guy were to approach the vehicle. And, it's basically a baby 1911 without the grip safety. What's not to like?

Here a breakdown of the two:

Sig P238
  • 6+1 w/7 rd. mags readily available
  • 2.7" barrel
  • 5.5" overall
  • 1.1" wide
  • 3.9" high
  • 15.2 oz.
  • CA compliant models available
Ruger LCP II 380
  • 6+1
  • 2.75" barrel
  • 5.17" overall
  • .75" wide
  • 3.71" high
  • 10.6 oz.
  • No CA compliant models

·
Registered
417 Posts
My own favorite .380 is the Colt Mustang. Its the original as the P238 and the Kimber Micro are copies of it. The locked breech design makes recoil very manageable and its accurate as well. Quite often it can be found a bit cheaper than either the Sig or the Kimber. (y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
”…too heavy for pocket carry.”
P365-380 is lighter than the PPK I pocketed for years.
I'm not going to carry a striker fired pistol without a safety….
I’m not going to carry a fully cocked striker or hammer fired pistol without a safety.
Always use a pocket holster that protects the trigger, too.

P3AT and its near-clone, LCP, just disappear in pockets and are marvelously light. But they are snappy to fire, not fun for extended range sessions. LCP Custom had nicer trigger and sights. Finger rest on magazines help control muzzle rise. LCPII and Max are fully cocked, so not for me. YMMV.

Colt Mustang and its near-clone, Sig P238, are nearly as tiny and even fit some of the same holsters. They are very easy to rack. P238, Mustang and Glock 42 are all very soft-shooting, delightful at the range, even for long sessions. They are easy to shoot well.

Someday I’ll try a P365 with thumb safety and a Kahr.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Gee, and to think I carried my issued G26 in a pocket holster for years and nobody in the office knew I had it on me until it was needed... Oh, and before that i carried a G27 until we were forced to give up carrying personally-owned sidearms and had to use issued Glock 9mms... At least I was able to keep using my Milt Sparks holsters...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a P290RS in 9mm in my pullover sweatshirt center pocket (pockets are connected like a tube in many pullover sweatshirts) right now as a matter of fact! It’s heavy but small, and being DAO is quite safe for such carry around the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have found that the trigger on the current Ruger .380 ACP is very difficult to pull/squeeze. Too much weight for me. I don't know about the earlier models.
I carried the Glock 42 & 43 for a good while until arthritis made in very difficult to use the magazine release button.
Having shot and used both the Ruger and the Glock, I would vote for the Glock.

OPPTION #3 --> Phlster Engima Express IWB holster for the P365-380.
OPTION#4 --> Bigger pockets

·
Registered
5 Posts
I pocket carry my 380 bodyguard. I consider it effective within 7 yards. I carry it while walking or jogging in the neighborhood. I also consider it a reasonable BUG. I actually don’t enjoy shooting it due to the trigger pull. That probably means I need to now look at some of the more recent 380s mentioned in this post that aren’t strikers. Sounds like the LCP ii has a better trigger than my original series bodyguard.

·
Registered
317 Posts
”…too heavy for pocket carry.”
P365-380 is lighter than the PPK I pocketed for years.

I’m not going to carry a fully cocked striker or hammer fired pistol without a safety.
Always use a pocket holster that protects the trigger, too.

P3AT and its near-clone, LCP, just disappear in pockets and are marvelously light. But they are snappy to fire, not fun for extended range sessions. LCP Custom had nicer trigger and sights. Finger rest on magazines help control muzzle rise. LCPII and Max are fully cocked, so not for me. YMMV.

Colt Mustang and its near-clone, Sig P238, are nearly as tiny and even fit some of the same holsters. They are very easy to rack. P238, Mustang and Glock 42 are all very soft-shooting, delightful at the range, even for long sessions. They are easy to shoot well.

Someday I’ll try a P365 with thumb safety and a Kahr.
I have an LCP Max and part of the reason the trigger pull weight is over 7# is because it is NOT fully cocked. When I pull the trigger, on mine, I can see the hammer moving rearward.

·
Registered
423 Posts
For TINY guns, I started with a Colt Government stainless, in 380. I had to paint the front sight. It was pretty accurate, and always functioned, but, after taking it out of my pocket several times and seeing the safety off, I sold it.
I went to local gun shop and fondled a Kahr, LCP, and BG380. I bought the BG380 but absolutely hate the trigger. I installed a Galloway trigger which helped a little.
I picked up a Khar, with intentions that it would replace the BG380. It was the softest shooting and most accurate 380 I ever fired but it would jam, regardless of ammunition used. I sent it back to the factory TWICE, then sold it with full disclosure about the jamming issue.
Then, I bought a LCP Max. Took it to the range and it ate everything but shot really low. I called Ruger and they replaced the barrel, which helped some, but it still shoots lower than I would like. I also don't like the 8# trigger pull even though that's lighter than my BG380. I intend to drop a McCarbo trigger, and spring kit in it so that I can hopefully shoot it accurately.
Mine shoots low as HELL!! Like, it defies logic. I realize that if I ever need to use it, its going to need to be high torso shots. I really love it, but it does NOT shoot to point of aim

·
Super Moderator
P365X/P365XL
1,345 Posts
The Glock 42 is a solid pistol in-and-of-itself but has too many limitations i.e. low capacity for the size. Had one to experiment with but it's been long gone for years. The LCP and LCP2 are excellent pocket pistols, I've had both. But the LCP Max is, imo, the new pocket 380 standard. Either 10 or 12 round mags. Excellent front night sight. Both front and rear are real sights (not just milled nubs). Light and small. If I'm not carrying my X or XL then it's the Max. Fits the role of the LCP/2 but better. It's also better on recoil with the redesigned width of the back strap.

An excellent little true pocket 380.

·
🎖USMC Veteran
P365-380 w/Crimson Trace® LG-422G Laserguard® & Hogue Grip
162 Posts
I pocket carry my 380 bodyguard. I consider it effective within 7 yards. I carry it while walking or jogging in the neighborhood. I also consider it a reasonable BUG. I actually don’t enjoy shooting it due to the trigger pull. That probably means I need to now look at some of the more recent 380s mentioned in this post that aren’t strikers. Sounds like the LCP ii has a better trigger than my original series bodyguard.
I found the trigger pull on the 380 Bodyguard to be, to put it mildly, horrendous. So much so that I no longer have it, The pull was way too long. far too gritty and unpredictable in terms of when the gun was going to fire.

Dave Y -

Reactions: 24/7/365

·
Registered
775 Posts
Of the ones you mentioned, LCP is the smallest. And you an get an LC9s in a size similar to the other two, but in 9mm. I pocket carry both the LCP and LC9s in Desantis SuperFly holsters, and both fit in my pocket comfortably. If you decide to go with an LCP, get the striker-fired LCP II.
All LCP’s are hammer-fired. But they did change the trigger action in the LCP II to be more like a SA than a DA pull.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts