SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to install the Romeo Zero on my 1 month old 365XL only to find that one of the allen screws didn't look like it was installed properly. It is much shallower than the other screw and would not budge causing the head to round out. Im guessing it was cross threaded at Sig. anyone else have this problem ?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yep, except both of mine were immobile, even after microtorching them to melt loctite. Had to use a reverse stripped screw extractor to get them out.

Reactions: Randothecomando

·
Read Only
2,667 Posts
Mine were very tight also and finicky, but I slowly engaged with a lot of pressure and did manage to get them removed and Romeo Zero on ok BUT don't over tighten on install. If worried about damage send slide to Sig to fix i asap! and or install it or replace slide if necessary etc.

·
Registered
22,184 Posts
Mine were very tight also and finicky, but I slowly engaged with a lot of pressure and did manage to get them removed and Romeo Zero on ok BUT don't over tighten on install. If worried about damage send slide to Sig to fix i asap! and or install it or replace slide if necessary etc.
Glad to see you back. We had feared the worst.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Went to install the Romeo Zero on my 1 month old 365XL only to find that one of the allen screws didn't look like it was installed properly. It is much shallower than the other screw and would not budge causing the head to round out. Im guessing it was cross threaded at Sig. anyone else have this problem ?
Are the screws allen head or torx head. Using allen drivers on torx screws will be more likely to strip out the head. I think I have read that the screws are Torx head. I could be wrong!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
My SAS slide has torx threads in the rear sight plate. Most others are more likely torx. A allen wrench will strip them out real quick. You may need a magnifying glass to see the difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Now this is confusing. Did sig use whatever was handy? What should I use? Torx or Allen and what size of either.

Thanks....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Now this is confusing. Did sig use whatever was handy? What should I use? Torx or Allen and what size of either.

Thanks....
Your might be right I think they do use whatever is handy.

My riddle came when I was going to install the Romeo Zero, it came with a standard .050" allen wrench but the instructions say to tighten the screws to 9lbs..ok I have a digital torque screwdriver I use it to tighten scope rings but the .050" bit I did not have and could not locate anywhere.

Now the Romeo comes with the correct size allen wrench but again it says the screws need to be at 9lbs so I called Sig Pro shop to try and find the correct bit to get the screws to 9lbs. I needed to find a .050" or 1.27mm bit, so I asked myself what does Sig use. Yeah I will call Sig and that will clear things up and maybe they will help me locate the correct bit or something else I'm not thinking of.

So I called Sig Pro well they told me they don't they don't use a weight they only fit it by hand with the same little allen wrench that came with my Zero. They told me to just crank it tight and it's all good..jeez why didn't I think of that

Anyway about the plate and sight I used a T8 to remove the plate and I don't know if that was technically correct but it worked however I would not do it again without knowing for certain the correct size, like many have mentioned those little screws can strip easy and then you might be screwed no pun intended. For those asking what's the correct size your absolutely correct to research as much as possible before taking the plunge and cranking on those little screws.

I guess you could call Sig..

·
Registered
723 Posts
One of my screws came out easy with allen. Second would not budge, got it out with a lot of difficulty using torx. I just wonder about the people running Sig these days.Also does anyone understand why Sig sells RX guns with a rear sight and red dot ready with a plate that takes off the sight? Why could they not just cut the plate shorter like Glock and everyone else so the sight stays?

·
Registered
115 Posts
It takes a 2mm Allen wrench, It is a tight fit. I had to tap the Allen wrench in with a hammer for it to seat all the way. Screws came right out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What I found fit perfectly was an SAE 5/64" allen wrench. To remove the screws apply the torque in short repeated bumps like an electric torque driver does (much faster and harder of course). You don't want to be too hard and risk stripping the head. A T8 will fit but is more likely to strip the head as it lacks the surface contact area. Once it breaks free it comes right out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So we have T8 torx, then there's 2mm allen - oh wait, here's 5/64's allen - yup - Sig uses whatever they find on the bench or what dropped on the floor. No wonder people are concerned about sig quality - apparently it's hit or miss. Shame cause they used to have outstanding reliability and quality - wonder what happened.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Cant get em out with a 5/64 even if the manual says 5/64, wont budge... stripping it if anything.
OK, first off 2mm = .0787 and 5/64 = .0781 so they're really really close.
I measured the 2mm Allen in my Metric set and it was same as 5/64 in SAE set. I think they use 5/64" for both (cheap) sets. If a 2mm fits in tight it's probably right.

I also had same problem removing. Got one out barely; other wouldn't budge and ended up stripping.
Why would SIG use RED locktite on a 'optic-ready' removable plate?? :eek:

So I contacted SIG CS and sent slide in for them to deal with the stripped screw. Came back in a week with two new screws and they came out easy -NO locktite.

Mounted my Zero and used my Torque driver set at 8 in/lbs with BLUE locktite. 500 rounds in so far so good.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts