SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
BavZHP - That's a good way to evaluate just how much help someone might need with an extended release. The Vuurwapen I just installed helps considerably, but the ledge might help a bit more - I think it could make it intuitive where you don't even think about how much to extend your thumb to push it etc. So, I just ordered some - thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
USPS delivered on time. 2 mins with my tiny watch tools and the Zev mag release is all installed. It sticks out pretty far, but it's really nice. It's a perfect color match to the stock MIM components. I can completely retain my firing grip and only need to move my thumb to release the mag - I'm going to need to re-train myself, I chuckled at my muscle memory a few times already. 100% worth getting.

Some quick tests:

• I can place the gun with the mag release face down and press as hard as I can on the gun against a table (flat surface) and it will not release the mag. (I do have a TLR7 sub and manual safety)
  • I also tried pressing down as hard as I can with my support hand while in a firing grip to get the mag to release but failed to do so to. Then I inched my support hand forward pressing as I went to see how far I'd need my support hand forward to activate the mag release. Answer: super far forward. Thankfully my palm will never even get close to releasing the mag. No worries there.
It's good to know what it takes to release the mag. Next I'll try holstering it and pressing it against my body to see what it takes to activate it.

So far, this thing is sweet.

Rectangle Tints and shades Electric blue Auto part Fashion accessory
Tints and shades Font Electric blue Auto part Metal

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun
Hood Motor vehicle Desk Table Input device

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Office equipment Musical instrument accessory Wood
Toy Wood Trigger Air gun Everyday carry
Office equipment Wood Toy Motor vehicle Combat vehicle

·
Registered
SIG/ZEV/Icarus P365XL Custom
44 Posts
Does anyone know if the ZEV extended mag release will fit onto the Icarus Precision A.C.E. Hybrid grip module with a Custom Works FCU?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Per my earlier post (above) I did get the ordered ZEV extended mag release for my P365 - and yesterday installed in on my XL. Testing it out at the work bench it seemed quite nice and was indeed a bit more proud, than the vuurwapen extended release I installed on the P365 - the ZEV also has the extended "shelf" that does make it easier to press. However, shooting it today for first time there is a problem with it for me. The extended "shelf" goes rearward and my support left hand (I'm rt handed) palm goes right behind the shelf using my tight thumbs forward grip. My LH palm is actually just touching the edge of the shelf - and with recoil it goes right into the palm. I noticed this after about 7-8 rounds, and after 24 rounds it was getting sensitive in that area - so much so I stopped shooting (actually left a mark at 24 rds). So, while I like the extra height, the rearward "shelf" / extension doesn;t work for my hand size and grip (I have guys large size hands). At this point I might try a little dremel action to soften the 1 shelf corner that especially digs into my palm. If I can slightly reduce the shelf and soften the corners it might work. The vurrwapen in comparison does help vs the factory release, but not quite as much as the ZEV - but the ZEV doesn't work for me as designed. I also will likely order a AC extended release and evaluate that one. Just thought I'd share my experience.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Per my earlier post (above) I did get the ordered ZEV extended mag release for my P365 - and yesterday installed in on my XL. Testing it out at the work bench it seemed quite nice and was indeed a bit more proud, than the vuurwapen extended release I installed on the P365 - the ZEV also has the extended "shelf" that does make it easier to press. However, shooting it today for first time there is a problem with it for me. The extended "shelf" goes rearward and my support left hand (I'm rt handed) palm goes right behind the shelf using my tight thumbs forward grip. My LH palm is actually just touching the edge of the shelf - and with recoil it goes right into the palm. I noticed this after about 7-8 rounds, and after 24 rounds it was getting sensitive in that area - so much so I stopped shooting (actually left a mark at 24 rds). So, while I like the extra height, the rearward "shelf" / extension doesn;t work for my hand size and grip (I have guys large size hands). At this point I might try a little dremel action to soften the 1 shelf corner that especially digs into my palm. If I can slightly reduce the shelf and soften the corners it might work. The vurrwapen in comparison does help vs the factory release, but not quite as much as the ZEV - but the ZEV doesn't work for me as designed. I also will likely order a AC extended release and evaluate that one. Just thought I'd share my experience.
That's a great observation. I don't have that issue, but then again I have a hogue grip and smaller hands.

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
250 Posts
Got the Armory Craft ext. release inbound, more to follow upon it's arrive and range time.

(THX to all for their input & observations)

Reactions: MultiSync

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not a fan of the Armory Craft extended magazine release. It was originally made of aluminum and I believe you can find some info. on this forum regarding a lot of wear on the Armory Craft units. I had the original aluminum Armory Craft unit and saw a lot of wear, so I replaced it with a Lakeline unit made of Stainless Steel. I am much happier with a steel unit.

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
250 Posts
@ #28 "DeanM"...

Noted (& appreciated). I ordered it based off of their current website description: "Precision manufactured from hardened 17-4 stainless steel (compare to MIM molded factory SIG part) and finished in durable black Melonite/Nitride for wear resistance." ( Armory Craft Extended Magazine button with Checkering - P365, XL, SAS | armorycraft )

Maybe they got wise to the fact that the aluminum unit was/is not that swell...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Another quick update on the ZEV as I did do a bit of "dremeling" yesterday on the shelf. The shelf extends about 2 mm at the 2 corners, and maybe 2.5mm in the center (my rough measurements). Yesterday I ground down the corners to about 1mm (the top corner maybe closer to .75mm), and the center area down to maybe 1.5mm - and I smoothed the surface. I reinstalled and didn't make enough difference to make it useable for more than 20-25 rds (before getting sensitive a the contact point with my palm). It looks like I'd have to remove all the shelf to see if it really resolved my issue - which I might do just to see. I did order the AC release as the new one is steel per their website now. Again, my issue with the ZZEV is me specific given my hand and grip orientation.

·
Registered
613 Posts
thought I'd share another update on the ZEV extended mag release I bought. I had some time this afternoon, so I did grind it down significantly:
  • entirely removed the rearward "shelf/ledge" extension
  • then also from there, beveled the rear facing surface/edge significantly - including rounding and lowering the rear facing corners
  • then smooth the worked-on area with 400 grit
What I found was that even with the rearward extended shelf removed, the ZEV is close to 1.5mm higher than the vurrwapen I had installed on another P365 - it is that noticeable/different. I have the AC inbound so will measure that against the ZEV. The vuurwapen does help vs. factory sig, but it's not "wow" (I do like it though). And nothing wrong with the ZEV other than it does not, as designed, work in my specific situation (hand/finger size, grip etc). My at-the-bench assessment of the ground down ZEV is that it's pretty good:
  • a bit easier to actuate vs. the vuurwapen, and greatly better than factory sig.
  • question is whether it will dig into my support (left) hand palm - don;t think it will due to the beveling and lower corner surfaces.
Will shoot it this weekend and we'll see.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Since my last post 3 weeks ago, I did get and install an armory craft extended mag release to evaluate against the vuurwapen and ZEV (that I heavily modified as explained above). So, with each of the 3 installed in different P365s (1 XL and 2 P365s) I've done both dry firing and live firing drills with each. So far, my slight favorite is the modified ZEV - primary reason being it is still slightly taller than the others - just a tad easier to engage and reach. The other 2 (AC and vuurwapen) are close in design and sit about the same height above the grip (and higher than the stock SIG release) - but not as tall as the modified ZEV. Both the AC and V has texturing that works well, and both are noticeably better than the stock SIG (for me anyway with large guy hands - but not XL hands). I'm preferring the AC release a little more than the V due to 1 subtle design difference: The AC top surface has a slight angle to it as faces the trigger. For my thumb reach to push it, this fits the curvature of my rt thumb pad a little better - just a tad more natural feel and push of my thumb. I still like the vuurwapen, but the AC a little more - but this is for my hand / finger/thumb size. All 3 significantly help with anyone's personal preference guided by their particular hand size. I'll keep the ZEV and V installed, but will add the AC to the others. With either of these 3 installed, dropping mags in a hurry during the carry class I'm taking - you don't even think about it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Since my last post 3 weeks ago, I did get and install an armory craft extended mag release to evaluate against the vuurwapen and ZEV (that I heavily modified as explained above). So, with each of the 3 installed in different P365s (1 XL and 2 P365s) I've done both dry firing and live firing drills with each. So far, my slight favorite is the modified ZEV - primary reason being it is still slightly taller than the others - just a tad easier to engage and reach. The other 2 (AC and vuurwapen) are close in design and sit about the same height above the grip (and higher than the stock SIG release) - but not as tall as the modified ZEV. Both the AC and V has texturing that works well, and both are noticeably better than the stock SIG (for me anyway with large guy hands - but not XL hands). I'm preferring the AC release a little more than the V due to 1 subtle design difference: The AC top surface has a slight angle to it as faces the trigger. For my thumb reach to push it, this fits the curvature of my rt thumb pad a little better - just a tad more natural feel and push of my thumb. I still like the vuurwapen, but the AC a little more - but this is for my hand / finger/thumb size. All 3 significantly help with anyone's personal preference guided by their particular hand size. I'll keep the ZEV and V installed, but will add the AC to the others. With either of these 3 installed, dropping mags in a hurry during the carry class I'm taking - you don't even think about it.
Appreciate the info. You'll help a lot of others with your observations.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I really like the Zev extended release, it makes it so much easier for me to quickly release the magazine one handed. I was using my support hand to drop spent mags before getting the Zev.

·
Registered
27 Posts
USPS delivered on time. 2 mins with my tiny watch tools and the Zev mag release is all installed. It sticks out pretty far, but it's really nice. It's a perfect color match to the stock MIM components. I can completely retain my firing grip and only need to move my thumb to release the mag - I'm going to need to re-train myself, I chuckled at my muscle memory a few times already. 100% worth getting.

Some quick tests:

• I can place the gun with the mag release face down and press as hard as I can on the gun against a table (flat surface) and it will not release the mag. (I do have a TLR7 sub and manual safety)
  • I also tried pressing down as hard as I can with my support hand while in a firing grip to get the mag to release but failed to do so to. Then I inched my support hand forward pressing as I went to see how far I'd need my support hand forward to activate the mag release. Answer: super far forward. Thankfully my palm will never even get close to releasing the mag. No worries there.
It's good to know what it takes to release the mag. Next I'll try holstering it and pressing it against my body to see what it takes to activate it.

So far, this thing is sweet.

View attachment 426196 View attachment 426197
View attachment 426198 View attachment 426199
View attachment 426200 View attachment 426201 View attachment 426202
Looks great. I just ordered the Zev. How do you like the Hogue grip? I have issues with the mag getting snagged on the meat of my hand when doing mag changes and hope the Hogue coupled with the WC grip module remedies that issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thought I'd share another update on the ZEV extended mag release I bought. I had some time this afternoon, so I did grind it down significantly:
  • entirely removed the rearward "shelf/ledge" extension
  • then also from there, beveled the rear facing surface/edge significantly - including rounding and lowering the rear facing corners
  • then smooth the worked-on area with 400 grit
What I found was that even with the rearward extended shelf removed, the ZEV is close to 1.5mm higher than the vurrwapen I had installed on another P365 - it is that noticeable/different. I have the AC inbound so will measure that against the ZEV. The vuurwapen does help vs. factory sig, but it's not "wow" (I do like it though). And nothing wrong with the ZEV other than it does not, as designed, work in my specific situation (hand/finger size, grip etc). My at-the-bench assessment of the ground down ZEV is that it's pretty good:
  • a bit easier to actuate vs. the vuurwapen, and greatly better than factory sig.
  • question is whether it will dig into my support (left) hand palm - don;t think it will due to the beveling and lower corner surfaces.
Will shoot it this weekend and we'll see.
I feel that way about the Armory Craft and decided to give Zev a try.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts