SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading 357Sig for a few months now. Only using a P320. I picked up a 1911 XO. Put 150 rounds through it and then got a trigger job and a flat trigger. Today was the first time I fired it after the work. I shot 4 magazines of Speer (Georgia Arms Canned Heat), nothing out of the ordinary. Then a magazine of my reloads. Accuracy was a little suspect but the amount of flash was much higher/more than the factory. This is the first time I have shot both factory and reloads in same session so it was very noticeable. Shot 100 rounds, switching back and forth and my reloads have a much more visible flash.

Do I need to change my recipe? I use AA#9, 12 grains. I use CCI primers and Montana Gold 125 grain bullets. I could never find an exact match in load data from web sites or manuals. I read of numerous folks who used this combo and from what I can find the low end is 11.8 and the high end is 13. So I started with 12 and never had any failures or slide recycling issues.

I have loaded and shot over 1000 rounds and never had a problem at all. Not even sure this flash issue is a problem but looking for suggestions from the more seasoned reloaders out there. I am still somewhat of a rookie at this. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
In the old days, flash meant your powder was slower then the barrel length.
Some is expected, but a faster powder may be called for.
That being said, how Underwood Ammunition has cooked up the 357 sig 125 Speer to 1500 fps reliably is a mystery.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I have used the shorter barrel P320 up until now but never really noticed. As the 1911 has the longer barrel, I was not expecting this. I also have some AA#2, which is a few steps up on the burn rate chart. I will look into trying the powder change.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some more reading this morning after the other posts. It seems that for performance you should stick with slower powder rather than fast for this caliber. The flash doesn't bother me as long as I am not hurting my gun, or potentially my body. The weird part is this is the longest barrel I have shot 357Sig in, and just now noticing the flash a little more. Maybe its just BAU and I shouldn't over think it...:p

·
Registered
596 Posts
There are a number of powders that are good performers in the 357 SIG. I usually load Hodgdon LONGSHOT and I am happy with the 1400+ fps from the 4" barrel and flash isn't an issue for me.

LONGSHOT is 99% burned in a 4.4" barrel, vs #9 which is just under 78% burned. That is where the flash is coming from.

BTW the #9 load is only 30 fps faster than the LONGSHOT load.

:cool:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Iv'e used All the powders mentioned in 357 SIG and although i Love longshot and AA#9, the best performer in accuracy and consistency has been CFE-pistol. CFE = Copper Fouling Eliminator, but it also has a flash inhibitor too. Try it, you may like it. I shoot 357SIG mostly through a P229 and have not noticed any flash.
Now Power Pistol and 2400 is another thing.. its Roman Candle powder :p

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand that muzzle flash can be normal with this round so I am fine with that. It was just strange that the factory Speer had pretty much no flash. I like using AA#9 because it fills the case and is slow burning, which I have read is also good for this cartridge, and I have a bunch of it.... As long as I am not doing anything wrong, other than freaking out the person in the next stall, I am ok. I do pay attention though. It there are families there, or my wife is with me, I don't shoot this caliber as I don't want to make anyone else's range trip miserable.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
You have to remember that "Burns Slow and Fills the Case" is great for Longer barrels and Rifles. But remember, slower powers assume longer burn time within a encasement (Barrel). With shorter barrels, slower powers just light up the countryside. There is a mile long list of internal interdependencies with relationship to powder, bullet, barrel and everything else.

In the 357 SIG case there really isn't the driver for a "Compressed loading" of powder against case.

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
LONGSHOT is 99% burned in a 4.4" barrel, vs #9 which is just under 78% burned. That is where the flash is coming from.

:cool:
These be like, QuickLOAD estimates?

It be called LOUDShot, by the way! :lol:

Reactions: USMC6872

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Now Power Pistol and 2400 is another thing.. its Roman Candle powder :p
I used to shoot 24 grains of 2400 pushing 240 grain half jacket hollow points in .44 Magnums.
6 1/2 inch Smith with very little flash.
But in 357 mag, it was a strobe light.

·
Registered
596 Posts
These be like, QuickLOAD estimates?

It be called LOUDShot, by the way! :lol:
Roger that, but also experience with both powders bears it out.

Problem with that is I do not see any sign of over pressure on any of the ejected cases.
No flat primers or sticky extraction
No, you wouldn't. CIP standards are just as meaningful as SAAMI and they are frequently different. I can't speak for why, but I sometimes use them if they aren't too crazy different. But in this case, 40k is already on the high side for pistol rounds. So I'll stick with that myself.

I have heard that CIP proof loads are higher than SAAMI, maybe someone with a better memory can speak to that....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.