SIG Talk banner

.357Sig ammunition

2778 33
I have a 229 chambered in .357Sig on order, and am doing research on ammunition. What are your thoughts on bullet weight for Self/family Defense? Have you found any manufacturers that have worked well in your P229?

I carry the Sig brand of 230gr .45 in my P220, if it helps.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
125 grain Speer on top of Underwood is a 1500 FPS for a 602 ft lb 15 inch penetration of ballistic gel
Then Remington Golden Saber, which is my favorite at 1300 FPS
Then last Speer 125 grain Gold Dot.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have a 229 chambered in .357Sig on order, and am doing research on ammunition. What are your thoughts on bullet weight for Self/family Defense? Have you found any manufacturers that have worked well in your P229?

I carry the Sig brand of 230gr .45 in my P220, if it helps.

Thanks!

I carry Gold Dot by either Speer or Underwood.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
SIG V-Crown 125 grain in my P229 and my wife's P239 for HD/SD.
For practice and range fun Speer Lawman 125 grain from Target Sport.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Speer Gold Dot, 125 grain, JHP

Speer Lawman, FMJ, for target practice.

Look at Target Sports USA website. Buy my ammo there. Lowest prices I ever saw for 357 SIG.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thank you all for your input! After the 229, I believe the 226 will be my next acquisition. Does anyone have experience with the 226 chambered in 357Sig?
I have the 357 SIG barrel for my 226.

It's a sweet shooter. I shoot the 125 grain Gold Dots in mine and they work good. :D

I usually carry with the 180 HST in .40 S&W though as I prefer subsonic ammo for defensive use.

Nothing wrong with the 357 SIG though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have a family ranch and when a cow dies I get to try ammo performance on the carcus.

Winchester ranger 123 grain for the 357 sig makes a 9 mm hole going in and a golf ball size hole exiting. Wide wound channel. Used my 229 for the test. So far just about all rounds for it do the same damage.

Regular 9 mm tends to tumble and 45 acp tends to leave all it's energy in the muscle.

On deer the 357 sig leaves a fist size hole on exit. Had to put down an injured doe during deer season. Shot at fifteen yards through the ribs.

Only round I found to give problems was nosler 44 mag rounds. Bullet shed the jacket in muscle at 15 yards. Talked to the rep and gave him the recovered bullets. Nosler improved the bullets to give better jacket retention. Love the round for deer/hog hunting.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thank you all for your input! After the 229, I believe the 226 will be my next acquisition. Does anyone have experience with the 226 chambered in 357Sig?

Yes, P226 has a slightly longer barrel, produces slightly more velocity, slightly narrower slide, slightly longer grip. slightly longer sight radius. Slightly different yet the mechanically the same. What else you need to know? :D

125 gr Gold dots for me too. Speer, Buffalo Bore and Underwood built.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, P226 has a slightly longer barrel, produces slightly more velocity, slightly narrower slide, slightly longer grip. slightly longer sight radius. Slightly different yet the mechanically the same. What else you need to know? :D

125 gr Gold dots for me too. Speer, Buffalo Bore and Underwood built.

What's the felt recoil like with the 226 in 357 compared to the 229? While the 226 is longer, the 229 seems a little thicker in my hand, and it's the weapon designed for the 357Sig round initially.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.