SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm noticing that there are no .357 Sig chambered Sigs on their website at the moment. Has there been announcement I have missed? Everything is .45 or 9mm.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Who’s still producing 357 guns other than Glock? They’ll probably phase out as well. No announcement in gen5 yet. Are the air marshals still using p229s in 357?

i sold all my 357 guns but still have ammo. I’m looking to get an old p239 in 357 or i should just abandon the ammo since i reload for .45.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Who’s still producing 357 guns other than Glock? They’ll probably phase out as well. No announcement in gen5 yet. Are the air marshals still using p229s in 357?

i sold all my 357 guns but still have ammo. I’m looking to get an old p239 in 357 or i should just abandon the ammo since i reload for .45.
fair point, In fact I'm having to resort to Glocks or HK conversions to have pistols chambered in it. I really wanted a Sig 1911 Fastback in .357 Sig (for the record, I think that would be far superior to a .45, but that's another story). But it looks like Sig has all but given up on the round.

I think the air marshalls recently announced they are retiring it for 9mm. Which is when I saw .357 Sig being basically deleted from the Sig Sauer website.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I would expect SIG to be the last one that gives up on the 357 SIG.
They are one of the last, with Glock being the only other one I can think of. And I won't be surprised if one, or both, have stopped their .357 Sig production entirely in the next year or two.

·
Registered
14,909 Posts
I'm noticing that there are no .357 Sig chambered Sigs on their website at the moment. Has there been announcement I have missed? Everything is .45 or 9mm.
Except for some Special editions, Sig for the most part has quit the 40 S&W and the 357Sig Calibers in Their Hand Guns.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm new to this in handguns so I want to ask, what is typical for ammo and support for a "dead" round? I assume parts are available for a long time as old weapons get cannibalized. It is the same as old tractors that I work on. TG

·
Registered
481 Posts
357SIG in a sense killed itself. It was always hard to find and when you could find it the price per box was always substantially more than 9mm,40 or 45*.

I think the round is great but given the price along with everyone wanting lighter recoil and cheaper rounds.....It was an uphill battle.

As for 357SIG support once the guns are phased out. It will continue to be made, the guns chambered in it will just be harder to find. Personally if you have a gun chambered in 357SIG, Id stock that ammo for the future but for the foreseeable future the round will still be made.

in my areas and my looking online over the years. Your experience may vary*

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I just got a basically new 1995 P229 in .40 for a .357 SIG project gun. I wanted the gun that SIG designed to shoot the .357 SIG, plus I really like rail-less SIGs 😁. And when complete it will be my new carry gun. So I just added that caliber, which will use the original .40 for practice, but I still can find .357 SIG ammo was another reason to go .357 SIG. Also, to check it off my want list. It's still a great round and I like it from what little rounds I've shot, but the majority of my SIGs are .40 so it felt calmer than .40 for me. But had a blast! I don't think it's going anywhere.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, it is good to hear that 357 will be around for while. I really like mine. I was afraid that I should not buy a holster for my 357 sig P229 and just sell it!! I would think that eventually people will get tired of only having 9mm and some of the other rounds will come back into favor. TG

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts

I might be willing to take that 357Sig ammo off you hands, I mean if its cluttering up the place and all.......

·
Registered
117 Posts
So, is my Nitron P229 in 357 sig with legacy slide (about 12 years old) able to be converted to 9mm with a new slide if 357 sig ammo does dry up? TG

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
The P229 came out in '92, specifically designed to handle the 40 S&W. To covert your gun to a 40, you need a 40 barrel. If you want to shoot 9, there are aftermarket conversion barrels (BarSto), that'll do that, otherwise new slide etc.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
So, is my Nitron P229 in 357 sig with legacy slide (about 12 years old) able to be converted to 9mm with a new slide if 357 sig ammo does dry up? TG
Yes, w/ a 229-1 9x19 top end/Cal XChange kit.
or
a 9x19 conversion bbl

1 - 20 of 44 Posts