SIG Talk banner

357 sig carbide resizing dies

14358 31
Can anyone recommend a carbide resizing die for 357 sig? It needs to be 7/8" X 14 thread.

I'm looking at the Redding, any better options?

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/23...7rvc1VgWXOUW4DdnUjhw-9z2J_FyYPh6NmRoCiTHw_wcB
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have been using my Dillon .357 to make tens of thousands of rounds since the 90's. If they ever should fail/wear Dillon will replace them FOC.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
Not even neck resizing?
We each posted links in this thread. Your link shows a case resizing die, the cartridge passes completely through the die to remove any bulges in the case wall that may occur during firing.

My link shows the three die set by Redding. Yes, the case is sized at the mouth and neck, but not the full case length as is done by the die in your link. Hope that makes sense.

ETA: It appears my link doesn't work. I'll fix it so you can see the differences. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Getting a little confused.

Redding G-RX Carbide Base Sizing Die Kit 40 S&W 357 Sig 10mm Auto

The first one's a "Bulge Buster," which I have for my Glocked brass.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/561884/redding-3-die-set-357-sig

The Redding Die Set includes a Full Length Sizer, right?

Not a Neck Sizing Die, like we use for bottlenecked rifle rounds?

So if we use the Redding die from the set, we're really still full length sizing (despite using a Bulge Buster or a .40S&W / 10mm die beforehand)?

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
I've never used a "Bulge Buster." Have never seen the need or benefit, even with most of my brass going through a Glock.

I guess I'm thinking the "Bulge Buster" is the full length sizing die, the case passes through the die the entire length. With the 3 piece die, do you get the sizing the full length of the case?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Getting a little confused.

Not a Neck Sizing Die, like we use for bottlenecked rifle rounds?

So if we use the Redding die from the set, we're really still full length sizing (despite using a Bulge Buster or a .40S&W / 10mm die beforehand)?
I think you are correct, the one I posted is not a full length sizing die, but rather a "bulge buster" for cases that were fired in a chamber that does not fully support the base of the case. That was my mistake, I was searching for carbide sizing dies, and did not pay enough attention to what came up.

I am thinking that MC has a good point, if the neck of the case is resized to hold the bullet, you may be good to go.

The problem is that the case is a straight walled case, so the body of the case is sized before the neck reaches the top of the die.

That is the reason that I am considering carbide dies. I want to avoid using lube.

Perhaps with a small case like the 357 Sig, there is not enough friction to cause a problem with stuck cases, or excessive wear on the die?

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
...if the neck of the case is resized to hold the bullet, you may be good to go.
Only with rifle rounds used in regular bolt guns. The action has sufficient mechanical advantage to chamber the cases reliably. I don't think you can do neck sizing (full length sizing required) with straight - pull collet - style bolt guns, much less with autoloaders.

I've never used a "Bulge Buster." Have never seen the need or benefit, even with most of my brass going through a Glock.
I remember you saying you sorted your brass, along the lines of Glock Brass / SIG Brass. You probably won't need this tool.

The "Bulge Buster" is the Lee brand of the same tool, which I'm using rather loosely...

I guess I'm thinking the "Bulge Buster" is the full length sizing die, the case passes through the die the entire length. With the 3 piece die, do you get the sizing the full length of the case?
Not sure how to describe the "Bulge Buster." It doesn't really fall under any of your typical die types.

The sizing die in the set you own is a full length sizer. (I'm fairly certain) It does the body / shoulders / neck. I don't think it sizes necks only, unlike some dies for bottlenecked rifle brass...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The sizing die in the set you own is a full length sizer. (I'm fairly certain) It does the body / shoulders / neck. I don't think it sizes necks only, unlike some dies for bottlenecked rifle brass...
That is how I understood the description. Rifle set contain both full and neck resizing, pistol set contains only full length sizing die.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
That is how I understood the description. Rifle set contain both full and neck resizing, pistol set contains only full length sizing die.
Me too...

·
Premium Member
18,469 Posts
Please pardon my confusion and ignorance in the technical and practical differences of these dies. In practical terms, I consider the "Bulge Buster" type die to be the full length sizing die as the case is sized the full length. I'm seeing the error in my thinking, the sizing die in the Redding 3 piece set us technically called a full length sizing die. Learn something every day, please pardon my loose use of terminology.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dillon .357SIG Dies

Months ago someone suggested resizing .357SIG cases with a .40S&W die for the body and then the .357SIG die for the neck. I tried both the .40S&W and then Dillon .357SIG die. The Dillon .357SIG die resized both the neck and the body overall, with the body dimensions the same as with the .40S&W die alone. Since I'm lazy, all future resizing will be with the .357SIG Dillon die only.

·
Registered
7,298 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
So, just for clarity and for others who might see this thread in the future:

The Redding three die set #80434 is a steel die set that includes a "full length resizing die"

No other dies are needed to reload the 357 SIG.

Being that these dies are steel and not carbide as is typical for most handgun resizing dies, they need to be treated as if they are small rifle cases.

This means that they need to be lubed prior to resizing.

I prep my 357 SIG brass just as I do the 5.56 mil-surp brass:

Lube - I just dump a bunch in a zip lock freezer bag and hit them with three shots of Dillon case lube.

Resize - I set my full length resizer to have a slight "cam-over" and resize and de-cap as normal for rifles.

Tumble - clean 'em up and store 'em until I'm ready to load 'em.

Load 'em - My Dillon 550b is set up without a die in station one. Station two has the expander and powder drop, I use a Competition seating die in station three, and a Dillon taper crimp die in station four.

When I'm doing smaller batches for working up loads I use the Redding dies in my Big Boss II and expand, powder, and seat and crimp in one step as with magnum pistol or 5.56mm

No need for the "Bulge buster" in my experience or even carbide dies really.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.