SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a 226 RX and just recently got the 320RX - In the two plus weeks I have had it, I have had two dead batteries, I just assumed it was the first battery was bad and replaced it...

Yesterday, the second battery went dead... My 226RX seems MUCH better...

Call SIG CS, and was told, "oh yes, they will only last a week or so if you leave them on", I asked about MOTAC and they indicated, "we never intended the RX to be a carry pistol, and the week of it lasting is normal... Of course I now asked why then does Aimpoint and Trijicon last years, not a WEEK for gosh's sake...

Well, they use a different technology, but you can send the WHOLE firearm back if you want us to look at it, and I balked at that as well, since just the slide with optic should be all they need... No, they want the whole firearm... Heck, at least I can use the FCG with my Xchange kit while the RX slide is in their hand, but NO, they want the whole pistol like the FCG would make a difference.

So have other users experienced this VERY compressed battery life? Seems pretty crappy compared to other MRDS...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
I looked up the CR1632 Battery that the Sig Website says they use and it is basically a "watch battery". I imagine that's why they made it accessible from the top because if you had to remove the optic every time the battery needed replaced you would be wearing out the screws.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I thought this was a common problem with the first batch that went out and Sig CS took care of most of them, but they did have to send them in. There was an issue with the Romeo if I remember correctly. Do a search here.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought this was a common problem with the first batch that went out and Sig CS took care of most of them, but they did have to send them in. There was an issue with the Romeo if I remember correctly. Do a search here.
I think the point your missing (and sorry if you didn't) was SIG saying this is NORMAL, not a problem, and it's only supposed to last about a week with the optic on, MOTAC or not... and the statement "ITS NOT A CARRY PISTOL"...

That to me is just ridiculous...

·
Registered
765 Posts
I think the point your missing (and sorry if you didn't) was SIG saying this is NORMAL, not a problem, and it's only supposed to last about a week with the optic on, MOTAC or not... and the statement "ITS NOT A CARRY PISTOL"...

That to me is just ridiculous...
Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't (don't) know the TLA (actually FLA in this case:p) MOTAC, but I was just trying to give you ammo for a fight with Sig CS that it WAS a problem that was resolved early in the life of the Romeo 1.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't (don't) know the TLA (actually FLA in this case:p) MOTAC, but I was just trying to give you ammo for a fight with Sig CS that it WAS a problem that was resolved early in the life of the Romeo 1.
Yeah, TLA's are a pain sometimes and thanks for the "ammo" MOTAC isn't exactly a TLA, but a "feature" on the R1...

FWIW

MOTAC™

Activated through motion sensing technology, MOTAC immediately powers up illumination when it senses motion and powers down when it does not in order to extend battery life.

Per SIG, it's still drawing power for the motion sensor...

·
Registered
23,609 Posts
Seems ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not an expert by any means but if Sig actually stands by their product using up batteries in a week I will be sure to never use it.
I have a Glock 17MOS with an RMR on it that has been there for about 6 months now.
I keep a spare battery in the range bag just in case.
This thread has convinced me to forget about the 320RX I was looking for, I will go another way, what that is remains to be seen, more research!

Reactions: stlmia

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Not an expert by any means but if Sig actually stands by their product using up batteries in a week I will be sure to never use it.
I have a Glock 17MOS with an RMR on it that has been there for about 6 months now.
I keep a spare battery in the range bag just in case.
This thread has convinced me to forget about the 320RX I was looking for, I will go another way, what that is remains to be seen, more research!
Welcome to the forum!
Don't rush to judgment- this is only one report. Others here own the 320RX, and haven't reported this issue. It could very well be an isolated problem.

Well, I guess I need to eat some words...
http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-modular-pistols/110362-p320rx-battery-life.html

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok, so I have a 226 RX and just recently got the 320RX - In the two plus weeks I have had it, I have had two dead batteries, I just assumed it was the first battery was bad and replaced it...

Yesterday, the second battery went dead... My 226RX seems MUCH better...

Call SIG CS, and was told, "oh yes, they will only last a week or so if you leave them on", I asked about MOTAC and they indicated, "we never intended the RX to be a carry pistol, and the week of it lasting is normal... Of course I now asked why then does Aimpoint and Trijicon last years, not a WEEK for gosh's sake...

Well, they use a different technology, but you can send the WHOLE firearm back if you want us to look at it, and I balked at that as well, since just the slide with optic should be all they need... No, they want the whole firearm... Heck, at least I can use the FCG with my Xchange kit while the RX slide is in their hand, but NO, they want the whole pistol like the FCG would make a difference.

So have other users experienced this VERY compressed battery life? Seems pretty crappy compared to other MRDS...

Thanks
It should last more than a week. The only thing they really should need is the Romeo 1, no need for the slide let alone the whole pistol. Your 226 has a the same optic, you should get the same battery life...not sure why there would even be a question? Call customer service back and if necessary ask for a supervisor...this all makes no sense.

The only reason I can think of that, they might need the whole gun, is if they want to sight it in for you?

I looked up the CR1632 Battery that the Sig Website says they use and it is basically a "watch battery". I imagine that's why they made it accessible from the top because if you had to remove the optic every time the battery needed replaced you would be wearing out the screws.
They all use a "watch battery" Trijicon, Jpoint, Vortex, etc The worst of the bunch is good for a couple of months.

·
Registered
137 Posts
After reading this thread I emailed Sig Customer service. I simply asked them what their average continuous on time for the Romeo 1 is because I cannot find any such spec listed in the owner's manual for my Romeo 1 (I own a P320F RX), nor can I find this information on the Sig Web site. Within 10 minutes a Sig CS rep responded to my email with an excerpt from an internal Sig email that was sent to this CS Rep. I have removed any personally identifiable information for this representative. I don't want to possibly get him in trouble for sharing an internal company email. The point of my post is to share what Sig Sauer is saying internally. Even at full brightness 440 hours just doesn't seem that long when Trijicon's FAQ page states that the RMR 06 and 07 at brightness level 4 of 8 should last 4 YEARS or 25 days at brightness level 8. This is making me second guess my desire to get a P320C RX. Maybe I should cut my loss at one RX pistol.

This is the email from Sig CS which quotes a Sig internal email:

Here is an email I received regarding this a while ago.

1. This is subjective based on how much the weapon is carried and unit turned-on versus the regular target shooter.
Explanation: Battery life on ROMEO1 will vary depending on how high you are driving brightness – at the highest illumination setting, you can expect the sight to run approximately 440 hours.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you.

Customer Service

[email protected]

D: +1 (603) 610-xxxx

F: +1 (603) 610-xxxx

SIG-signature

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading this thread I emailed Sig Customer service. I simply asked them what their average continuous on time for the Romeo 1 is because I cannot find any such spec listed in the owner's manual for my Romeo 1 (I own a P320F RX), nor can I find this information on the Sig Web site. Within 10 minutes a Sig CS rep responded to my email with an excerpt from an internal Sig email that was sent to this CS Rep. I have removed any personally identifiable information for this representative. I don't want to possibly get him in trouble for sharing an internal company email. The point of my post is to share what Sig Sauer is saying internally. Even at full brightness 440 hours just doesn't seem that long when Trijicon's FAQ page states that the RMR 06 and 07 at brightness level 4 of 8 should last 4 YEARS or 25 days at brightness level 8. This is making me second guess my desire to get a P320C RX. Maybe I should cut my loss at one RX pistol.

This is the email from Sig CS which quotes a Sig internal email:

Here is an email I received regarding this a while ago.

1. This is subjective based on how much the weapon is carried and unit turned-on versus the regular target shooter.
Explanation: Battery life on ROMEO1 will vary depending on how high you are driving brightness – at the highest illumination setting, you can expect the sight to run approximately 440 hours.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you.

Customer Service

[email protected]

D: +1 (603) 610-xxxx

F: +1 (603) 610-xxxx

SIG-signature
According to this, at max brightness.. SIG is say 440 hours. So approx 18 days of use (+/- 3 weeks). How long at 1/2 brightness? Most people probably don't run it at max brightness.

While that's not very long (especially compared to say the RMR) it is still longer than the 1 week the OP is getting. I would guess there is something wrong with his optic.

I was thinking about getting a Fullsize P320 RX, so I will be following this thread with interest. If it is truly a 1 month (+/-) battery life, I will probably skip it and go with a standard full size

·
Premium Member
453 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And I will ask, the people who have not had to change the battery, do you leave the optic on? I will admit my 226RX is a safe gun so I do turn it off, the 320 is a bedside gun so when I leave for the day, it goes in a small safe in the bedroom but I don't turn it off.

And if I wasn't clear, I apologize, but I would think, leaving it on (again, not st full brightness) it should go longer than 40-50 hours. And from some of the responses here that called SIG they got the same one week time frame.

My main point is that I was planning on getting a compact to replace my glock 19 with trijicon RMR, but $4 to $5 batteries every week or so adds up. And then was told "it's not a carry gun".

I have at least a dozen Sigs so I am a fan boy fwiw.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I never turn off the Romeo on either of my RX's. P320 is about 3 months old and is a bedside safe gun, P226 is a range gun about 2 months old. No issues with battery life. Bought 4 batteries just today from Amazon for about $8.50.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.