SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

320F or 320C

6K views 52 replies 39 participants last post by  Toucan56 
#1 ·
OK all, I need opinions from people that have been around Sigs a lot longer than me. I'm looking to buy my first firearm. I will most likely be using it for protection at home, and at the range. I'm not sure yet if I want to carry, but can definitely see that as a possibility in the (very near) future, especially if I have occasion to be in less than safe parts of town.

All that being said, I've got two top contenders....the P320F and the P320C. I've got what I think are VERY good price quotes on both of them ($434). I'm leaning toward the C, but would appreciate any feedback on anything I'm not thinking of. Thanks!!

#5 ·
As others have said, the P320 compact is a bit more versatile. It carries better but lacks the sight radius of the full making it slightly less accurate. Both are great shooting guns but I'd go with the compact initially. You could always get a full size caliber exchange kit in the future and have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: 58418 and Beefstews
#8 ·
I originally bought the carry model, then held a compact and it just fit my hand better. I ended up buying a compact frame, and two compact 15rnd magazines on sale on Midway USA, and two X grip adapters on Top Gun Supply. All in all I spent about $135 extra and have two 15rnd magazines and two 17rnd magazines for my now compact P320, with a carry frame in reserve.

If I had to do it again though, I would just buy the compact.

#11 ·
Funny, I progressed in the reverse order. Started with a compact and ended up getting 17 rounders and carry grips.

OP, it seems like the consensus is Compact and not Full Size - with a few voices saying Carry instead.

I think the points made about concealment are true. The the grip length of the Compact will be easier to conceal than the grip length of the Carry (which is the same as the Full Size). Therefore, I think part of this will come down to your personal preference and tolerance. For example, I find that I get more control with the Carry (along with the additional mag capacity already mentioned), while not being bothered much by the additional grip length when I carry on a daily basis. Others will have different opinions.

First, I think you will need to feel out both options and see which one feels better in your hand in terms of balance, and grip leverage. Part of this will be based on hand size, and part of this will be based on your particular grip style.

Second, thinking ahead to you potentially carrying the 320, you might want to consider asking your local shop to let you test of a couple of their IWB holsters with both the Carry and Compact. This will give you a good feel for what you are willing to tolerate on your body.

#9 ·
I have a full and a compact. They both are great shooters. You will not be sorry for the purchase of either. My full is the RX model and the compact has iron sights. I found the full size RX a bit much to carry.. but hey that's me. The compact with the shorter barrel and two round shorter grip makes for a perfect carry. Both guns will get er done with ease. For home protection and possible carry.. the compact is my choice. For the range I absolutely love the RX system. The last two times to the range, I just shot the compact.
It's my carry so I want as much time behind that gun as possible.

#13 ·
If you are actually going to carry the piece, I would go with either the compact or carry model. Keep in mind you can easily convert the compact to the carry, or the carry to the compact, for the cost of an additional grip module and magazine(s).

I have a full-size P320 in .45 ACP and a P320 compact in 9 mm. I keep the full-size P320 for home defense (and of course, range use). The full-size P320 is a pretty good sized pistol. In .45 ACP the full-size offers what I regard to be a decent magazine capacity of 10 rounds, and cushions the recoil of the stouter cartridge well. But I would regard it as pretty big to carry routinely.

The compact P320 is slightly less sleek than a Glock 19 but pretty comparable in overall dimensions, and would be more pleasant to carry. I do not notice a great deal of loss of accuracy due to the shorter sight radius of the compact slide over the full-size slide, although with over 3/4" difference, I am sure there is some.

I do have a P250 subcompact and I do seem to notice the difference in sight radius between it and the compact slide more, even though the difference is considerably less. But then, the different trigger action may be confounding my impression.

#18 ·
I would get the Compact... much more versatile due to it's overall size. Shoots like a large pistol ergonomically, but small enough to conceal carry.

#21 ·
Count me as the contrarian. I daily carry the full size in 9mm or .40, with a 9mm subcompact as my bug on the ankle.

It's funny, but I shoot both of those better than the compact or carry, as I have the exchange kit and grips for both. I am still a new shooter (less than a year), so I was tempted to blame good accuracy on the GG fat rod and spring in my full size pistols, but I shoot the subcompact just as well, for me anyway, without any modifications.

On days I wear slacks, I put the compact mag in the subcompact, and use my full size holster with no worries. I can state that I have never had a concealment issue with the full size. Yes, you have to pay attention, but the right holster does the trick, and I carry aiwb.

#31 ·
Hey me too!

I started with a Compact in 9mm and loved it. Got the fever for a RX sight and went for a Full sized RX and my Father in-law got my Compact. I actually was very surprised at how easy it is to EDC my Full sized RX with a Surefire Ultra300 light slung underneath.

I use a T-Rex Arms IWB Raptor kydex holster made for appendix. I carry it at 2:00 inside the waistband. That's right about where my front pants pocket is. It's not uncomfortable, it's also right at a spot that doesn't work against me as I sit/stand, and I sit a lot in my job.

Every time I go by a mirror I check... I cannot see it. It doesn't print. I wear it every time I leave the house. No one knows but my wife and a few people at the gun range I practice at.

I don't think you would be badly served if you decided to EDC a compact P320, but the Full Sized is really not too shabby and easier to conceal than I thought. It's my experience that the full size shoots smoother, but I do admit the compact just looks sexier.

My rig, fully decked out though... very muscular. That's a lot of iron hidden in my waistband.

#23 ·
I'm going with the minority too. I have a F and a SC. The key word in the OP's post was 'first' firearm. That being the case I recommend the full size. Perfect for home defense and the range and more than adequate as a daily CCW. If the OP already had one or the other it would be different but as a first firearm I think a full size is better than a compact or carry. YMMV.

#26 ·
<1/4" difference in the height is not that big of a deal for concealment and you get 2 rounds more.

The shorter sight distance on the Carry/Compact makes no difference if you go with the RX.

My vote (with your $$$) for your purpose: Carry RX

I have the full size R320X for the range and use a Glock 19 or a 225 A-1 for carry.

Reactions: stlmia
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.