SIG Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 320c-RX. I will probably not be using it as a EDC. At times, it can be 1-3 months before I can get a chance to get to the range with it. Should I remove the battery from the RX between sessions?

Thanks,
Dale - AZ

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Totally up to you . The reflex turns off when not in use and how long it last is anyone guess . I have a dot optic that been always on at about a lower half power setting for the last 1.5 years in my wifes ar15 just to see if its 50.000 hour battery life is real .
I have an old red dot I use on a revolver I hunt with comes out when the season is over . I will kill a battery in about 3 weeks .

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
If you're storing it in a motionless state between uses, there is no need to remove the battery. It shuts off automatically after a few minutes if the gun has not moved (and comes back on instantly once it does).

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
It isn't so much the battery life you have to worry about, but the rogue chance that the cell leaks.

That happened to an old MagLite I once had... (Even a weak) Acid and Aluminum don't mix.

·
Premium Member
3,193 Posts
I believe that holding down one of the intensity buttons for two - three seconds will turn off the optics... I've not turned mine off. It will shut down in a short time of motionless which works for me. Nothing wrong with the removing the battery as far as batteries goes. The removal and reinstall will put undue usage of the cap and receiver threads however. Not that you are going to cross thread or such but why flirt with a potential problem for no gain? Just my $.02 on the subject.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would imagine that letting the Romeo shut down on its own would still use a little battery power for the sensors that turn it back on. I'm letting mine stay on now to see how long the battery lasts but I was turning it off using the buttons when I knew I wouldn't use it for a long time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. The battery cap needs to be kept very tight and I would be worried that removing and installing batteries all the time would wear that area out. I leave mine on and the batteries last for months and months. Worst case you could turn it off between use.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I'll leave the battery in, but turn off the RX manually while its in the safe. Then pull the battery and replace it every year.

Dale - AZ

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a question about the Romeo 1. Does it turn on when you are carrying it in a holster on your hip? I would think the designers would set it up so the motion sensor would keep the optic off when it is in a vertical position (or near vertical position) and turn on when it is moved into a shooting position.

Is this how it works?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a question about the Romeo 1. Does it turn on when you are carrying it in a holster on your hip? I would think the designers would set it up so the motion sensor would keep the optic off when it is in a vertical position (or near vertical position) and turn on when it is moved into a shooting position.

Is this how it works?
It's motion activated. If you are in a car or sitting down it will be off. Gentle walking might keep it off as well but major movement definitely turns it on.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's motion activated. If you are in a car or sitting down it will be off. Gentle walking might keep it off as well but major movement definitely turns it on.
Adding to this, it almost seems like the gun needs to be a direction other than pointing straight down. Ive tried to see if my optic is on standing at a match holstered and i don't think ive been able to see the dot.

This is not proven but only a gut feeling.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Alma, while I agree with what your saying in theory.... If you haven't played with one.... Its VERY sensitive.

If I move it even a tiny bit while its on the desk next to me, its ON. And I mean being VERY careful and going SLOW.

I doubt walking is less movement, and our MI roads are so bad that there's no way riding in a car would keep it off either, but I haven't checked this yet.

As soon as I get my holster in the mail this week, Ill let you guys know for sure.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Much of the recent development in Red dots have gone into battery life. Many other brands have batteries that last for 1-2 years, and those are always on but the 1-2 years is at a low setting. I don't think I'd remove the battery unless I was storing for more than 2-3 months, and then it would be more worried about a battery leak, than it going dead.

I had a few minutes, I left the gun vertical, the dot went out, I jiggled it slightly while still vertical the dot came on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts