SIG Talk banner

300 Winchester Magnum

799 14
I have a hankering for a 300 Win Mag. I have a Lapua 338 with a ported barrel and recoil is about the same as my Sig 716 (very nice). I just sold my 7mm mag because shooting it was about like getting kicked by a mule.

I am leaning towards a Savage 11/111 long range hunter. it has a ported barrel, weighs under 9 pounds and costs less than $1,000.

Any other suggestions?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
Yeah, 300WM is a great cartridge, fun to shoot and without breaking the bank! I don't have experience with the ported Savage you mention. My Browning light weight 300 isn't ported, nor equipped with a muzzle brake - also has the recoil you described for that 7mm too.

My Barrett 98b has a much heavier barrel and this very efficient muzzle brake. She's a pleasure to shoot - unless you're standing to her side...

Auto part Airsoft gun

Cheers

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
It seems you have a decision, to choose "Bite" (Recoil) or "Bark" (Report) when it come to "Magnum" rifle calibers...

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
The Savage models have been highly under rated in my opinion. The one advantage they have over the Remington, is that you can "adjust" headspace easier, and even create a "switchbarrel" rifle as long as the cartridge uses the same case head dimensions.

I'm not a trigger snob, and I've got a Mark II rimfire, with the AccuTrigger, and it is great as far as I am concerned.

The model you are looking at appears to even have what they call an adjustable muzzle brake. They don't go into explanation, but if it works as Browning's BOSS, it would be "tunable" for an individual cartridge combination, as far as barrel harmonics.

It could be what you are looking for!

Reactions: sigke and Philipl

·
Banned
6,262 Posts
Depending on what you want the rifle for, I think the .300WM is one of the most versatile cartridges available. It has one of the widest ranges of bullet weights on the market. With its lightest offering it is a fine round for average game at relatively close range, and it can be used to take big game out to 1000 yards, if you do your part. The Savage is a nice rifle. I own the PC10 in .308. The only other rifle I would recommend is the Remington 700 5R.

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-5-r-series-gen-2

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You complained about a 7rem mag kicking like a mule yet you want a 300win mag and have a 338 laupa . !!! What can of crazy got opened up here .

Guess you never though about a different stock or better recoil pad or adding a muzzle brake to the 7mm rem mag .

Sure seemed like a easy lower cost common sense fix but that chance went away with the 7mm .

Buy what you want , your money .

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You wil not be disappointed with the savage 11/111. The break you speak of is not a tuneable harmonic boss break tho, it is a on/off break. It works however you can have your barrel threaded and have a better break installed to save your shoulder
If you are a reloader you can push the load a bit more with the floating head design.
I like the accutrigger a lot for a factory trigger. It's not a timney or jewell or such but it's not too bad at all.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
You complained about a 7rem mag kicking like a mule yet you want a 300win mag and have a 338 laupa . !!! What can of crazy got opened up here .

Guess you never though about a different stock or better recoil pad or adding a muzzle brake to the 7mm rem mag .

Sure seemed like a easy lower cost common sense fix but that chance went away with the 7mm .

I am confused also. I have used a .30-06 over 25 years. Bought a 7mm Rem Mag rifle last year. Harder recoil, but not nearly as bad as a 300 Win Mag.

My best friend uses a 300 for deer hunting. Let me shoot a few dozen rounds. Not relaxing. 7mm Rem Mag is almost as effective at 400-600 yards, with a lot less kick!

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

My Lapua has a compensator and the kick is less than my Sig 716.

I gave the 7mm to an army captain who did 2 combat tours in Afghanistan as a thank you. I anticipate the ported 300 mag will do well.

And yes I like to change my guns from time to time.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Very nice thing you did with the 7mm.

Breaks are like recoil pads. No break - no pad. From there it vary slightly. I am not trying to talk you out of it, I have had great luck buying model 10/110's and having the barrel threaded and a break milled to fit. I can buy better breaks that way.
If I can help with more information lmk

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I find changing firearms just for the sake of change as wasteful but then I never found asking for an opinion of a firearm purchase as good use of the common sense I was born with .

Tacops fan spot on with treading a barrel and buying a better muzzle brake .

Unless a match class is limited by weight and you hunt with this rifle buy a Bonnie Packers Safari Sling . I' not a stalk hunter with a long range rifle but an hour or so walk around with a climber on my back with a day pack in the stand to find a climbing location is nothing special with my 10lb + long range rifle carried across my chest hands free but at the ready to simple raise to a shooting position . Bad videos , good hunters sling I used for 25 years .

With my old 788 rifle that's fine for days of stalk hunting new property . Works on AR's too .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just to offer a different suggestion, I have a Tikka T3 and it is one hell of a tack driver. It's basically a cheaper version of a Sako, barrels come off the same line. I like everything about it except one thing which you may or may not care about. With the safety on, I can't cycle the bolt to unload. It's a small thing but annoys me. Last time I looked you could pick one up for $600-800 easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.