SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been using 296 and H110 but just scored two kegs of CFE BLK from Midway that is supposed to arrive Monday.

They had two 8 pd kegs left when I finished my order, if anyone is interested.

Out of boredom I've been chopping 5.56 brass down and reforming to 300 BLK all week. I managed to score a few hundred Lehigh Max Expansions and Max Fragmentation pills directly from Lehigh recently so I am going to roll a few here next week. I believe Lehigh has some more of those still showing in stock but they are ridiculously expensive ... I just needed enough to work up a couple of good subsonic loads (using Johnny's Reloading Bench load data) for home defense.

Top Brass also has some nice cleaned, reformed, primed, trimmed, deburred and ready to go brass back in stock. They even belled the mouths just a bit. I picked up 500 pieces just to have more than I need I guess ... and because it hasn't been available in awhile.

Anyone dropped any of this CFE BLK yet? I hope it is as good, as clean and smokeless, as everyone has been claiming on the various channels and blogs.

Edited to note: CFE is an acronym for Copper Fouling Eraser.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'd be interested in your load data. I've been using H-110 and Lil'Gun for supers and subs but I recently also picked up a couple of pounds of the CFE BLK. Just haven't had the time to load anything up yet. I have a couple hundred Ranier Ballistics 180 gr. RNFP that I'm using for subs ... Good luck w/ the CFE!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be interested in your load data. I've been using H-110 and Lil'Gun for supers and subs but I recently also picked up a couple of pounds of the CFE BLK. Just haven't had the time to load anything up yet. I have a couple hundred Ranier Ballistics 180 gr. RNFP that I'm using for subs ... Good luck w/ the CFE!
Will do and thanks!

I've been using Johnny's Reloading Bench data for just about all of my 300 BLK loads ... and I spoke with Lehigh and they are very familiar with him and their recipes and his are pretty-much dead-on inline with one another.

Here is a link to all of his 300 BLK videos ... you may find your pill in there. I'm wondering about those Rainier 180 RNFP pills though? Are those the ones everyone has been having feeding problems with by chance? Some say it is because of the mags ... some say it is because of the FPs, I dunno. Sure seems like a hard hitting design.

Here's the link to Johnny's ... the guy makes long videos but he's very thorough and saves us a lot of time trying to work up loads ... which saves money in times like these. Come to find out too, this Johnny guy is a really good guy, very generous and accommodating to his followers and subscribers.

Johnny's Reloading Bench 300 BLK videos.

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
Try some Lovex/Shooters World BlackOut Rifle or SBR SOCOM & you'll throw the Hodgdon powders on the flower bed as nitrogen fertilizer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try some Lovex/Shooters World BlackOut Rifle or SBR SOCOM & you'll throw the Hodgdon powders on the flower bed as nitrogen fertilizer.
I doubt I'll throw $240 worth of a great, American made, Hodgdon powder that everyone everywhere seems to be saying is an outstanding propellant designed specifically for 300 BLK ... I doubt I'll throw that on the garden bed but, I will try the two powders you're recommending depending upon price and availability.

Looks like Shooter's World Lovex is manufactured by Explosia® in Pardubice-Semtín, of the Czech Republic. It is, apparently, the same as Accurate 1680® which I have heard is not the most accurate 300 BLK powder and also there has been some complaints of it failing to lock-back subsonic loads.

The SBR SOCOM offering is interesting as it claims, and I quote, "Shooters World SBR Socom D063-01 Smokeless Gun Powder has no reloading propellant equivalent. It is faster in burn speed than ACCURATE 1680 and slower in burn speed than Winchester 296 or Hodgdon H110."

That's basically the exact same claim the Hodgdon CFE BLK is making plus Hogdon claims, "CFE (Copper Fouling Eraser) virtually eliminates copper fouling, is cleaner burning, consistently locks-back bolts and produces less muzzle flash than any other powder available. For competitive shooters and hand loaders seeking the perfect powder for 300 BLK, there is no better propellant on the market."

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
G Pazz,

Don't believe all the hype & bleep from Hodgdon on their claims of temperature insensitivity or copper eliminator powders.
Hodgdon just bottles powders,they do NOT manufacture it,they have it imported.

The guestimations of Lovex powder burn rates are typical internet (bleep).

Personally,I would not accept a semi trailer full of any Hodgdon products if it was free.
My choice,my decision,my money.

SBR-SOCOM abbreviation?
SBR=(not short Bbl'd rifle)
Southern Ballistic Research

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DansSIGs,

The quote on the "guesstimations" for the Lovex burn rate is directly off of their own website.

Hodgdon products have always worked well for me personally. Any trailer loads offered to you ... I will happily accept, along with a pie in the sky.

Regards,

GP

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't find any subsonic projectiles for my 300 black out
Try buying directly from Lehigh friend. I just recently scored a couple of hundred 194 gr Maximum Expansions and 210 gr Controlled Fracturing pills directly from them. Some claim they are the best subsonic 300 BLK pills out there.

Check some of the various gel tests on YouTube for those projectiles.

Good luck. :) (y)

·
Banned
1,697 Posts
DansSIGs,
The quote on the "guesstimations" for the Lovex burn rate is directly off of their own website.
Hodgdon products have always worked well for me personally. Any trailer loads offered to you ... I will happily accept, along with a pie in the sky.
GP

The SBR-SOCOM powder was developed exclusively for SouthernBallisticResearch in USA.
Hence the reason,as it is proprietary w/o burn/load data available from Lovex.

No trailer loads of Hodgdon Pwdrs since it is NOT allowed on the premises.

I've run numerous Lovex powders in pistol,carbine,rifle chamberings in the last 10yrs from 22Hornet to 50BMG & 380 to 50WE.
< than $190 for 8Lbs is very inviting to say the least!

Gas volume & gas port diameter sets the stage whether an impingement or piston platform works/cycles or not.
Numerous impingement platforms running super/sub/suppressed w/ light/heavy jacketed & light/heavy cast boolits w/o issues.
My carbine/carbine impingement 458 SOCOM w/my 350gr L-FN GC @18Bhn pushed w/SBR-SOCOM powder to 1800fps is amazingly accurate to 300yds.
(the 45-70's,450M,458WM's have been confined to safe queens this year....so far)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts