SIG Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

馃帠USN Retired
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 300BLK SBR to the range today. Its all PSA blem lower, geiselle trigger, H2 Buffer, 300BLK 416R SS barrel 8.5 inch, pistol length obviously. Nothing fancy..
I ran 150 gr Freedom Munitions re manufactured ammo, 1780 FPS nothing special ammo.
But, it went bang every time.
AVG handle came loose. Dont like it anyways.
Dont laugh at 300 BLK writing on dust cover. Temporary.
I stood for plinking at my plate, armor plate from Army/Marine MRAPS.
I sighted it first, but did not have a bench to do it correctly, and i used Iron sites off of a 516 Patrol.
The 300Blk hit the plate, as you can see via the black x's showing where it hit. Interesting the 556 62 gr put more of a dent in the plate.
The brass left at around 2-3 every time

Attachments

Reactions: kansascity45

Registered
:lol:5.56 is moving a whole lot faster. I would expect more damage to the steel than 300BLK.

I can shoot my 300BLK reduced 125gr reloads at AR500 plates from 40 yards all day with no ill effects, but 5.56mm/.223 will badly pit and crater the plates at that distance.

Did you chrony that 150 gr? Or is that velocity from the box?
If that's the actual velocity from a 8.5" bbl,then that's some pretty hot ammo.

Congrats BTW, and I promise I didn't laugh at the dust cover....

馃帠USN Retired
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
5.56 is moving a whole lot faster. I would expect more damage to the steel than 300BLK.

I can shoot my 300BLK reduced 125gr reloads at AR500 plates from 40 yards all day with no ill effects, but 5.56mm/.223 will badly pit and crater the plates at that distance.

Did you chrony that 150 gr? Or is that velosity from the box?
The velocity is from their website.
I was shooting a 100yds too, which I am sure doesnt help.
The only way I knew I was hitting was the ping noise when I hit.
Need to get some lighter rounds and get this dialed in. Till the can is approved, it will be supers only for a while.

Registered
Yeah, I need to get off my lazy *** and do the paperwork for a can for mine. Mine is only a pistol with a brace, 8.5 Rainier barrel. SLR ultra lite rail and AXTS upper and Lower. It's begging for a Suppressor. I've developed some nice sub loads from 175 gr to 208 gr that ran perfectly unsuppressed. Clocked them at <1050 fps and fully functions.

Registered
Yeah, I need to get off my lazy *** and do the paperwork for a can for mine. Mine is only a pistol with a brace, 8.5 Rainier barrel. SLR ultra lite rail and AXTS upper and Lower. It's begging for a Suppressor. I've developed some nice sub loads from 175 gr to 208 gr that ran perfectly unsuppressed. Clocked them at <1050 fps and fully functions.
You get full burn from only 9 inches in a .300blk. Anything longer is not going to increase velocity much if any, maybe accuracy but not by much.

Registered
You get full burn from only 9 inches in a .300blk. Anything longer is not going to increase velocity much if any, maybe accuracy but not by much.
You get quite a bit more velocity out of a longer barrel but its the Law of Diminishing Returns. The extra length vs the increase in velocity is not ideal.

I have fired identical loads from my 8.5 and either two of my 16" and it's about 200-250 fps increase in velocity with supersonic loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.