SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am planning on building my first AR and decided to go the AR Pistol route. I am not a long gun guy, but have decided to replace my SKS with something a bit more modern and in a much smaller package.

So, my question is, what advice do you have on a first AR build like this. What should I stay away from, what components are best to spend more on.

I am an a passable gun smith, so I don't think any of it is beyond me. I just don't know the AR platform at all.

Any insight and help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Pistol length gas. H2 buffer.
My dad has 8", 9", 10.5" 300 blk uppers.
All with pistol length gas and running h2 buffers.
All cycle supers and subs, suppressed and unsuppressed with no issues.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am targeting an $850 build. Enough to get decent parts but not so much to be too deep.

I reload, so the ammo cost is less of an issue and I already have a gun in 300 Blackout. Thus, I am trying to stick to that platform.

However, you do make a good point about the cheapness of 7.62.

Thanks for the link, I will look that up.

Reactions: Twister

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I am targeting an $850 build. Enough to get decent parts but not so much to be too deep.

I reload, so the ammo cost is less of an issue and I already have a gun in 300 Blackout. Thus, I am trying to stick to that platform.

However, you do make a good point about the cheapness of 7.62.

Thanks for the link, I will look that up.
Ahhh I gotcha, well good luck with your project then and keep in mind with a holiday coming up Primary Arms will be having some nice sales, should help keep the budget under control ;)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh I gotcha, well good luck with your project then and keep in mind with a holiday coming up Primary Arms will be having some nice sales, should help keep the budget under control ;)
Yea, if anyone has any good quality spare parts available let me know.

Trying to start this build with my daughter's wedding 2 weeks away and money flowing out the door like water is probably .... ill advised! :rolleyes:

...but no one ever accused me of being all that sharp. :lol:

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For those of you who own these, do you prefer brace or saddle? I am leaning toward the saddle.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So went to my LGS and got them to put together the upper, lower and barrel for my build. Will mostly be Spikes Tactical stuff along with some tuned MilSpec they do specially there.

I am petty excited about getting this put together. What I have left to source is;

- Shockwave w/KAK Tube
- Muzzle break
- Grip
- Mags
- Sights

I am still researching what I want for these parts. I will go a bit over my desired budget, but I swapped in an SKS to cover a portion of the cost.

Looking forward to the little beast.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally Done!

So I finally got my 300 Blackout Pistol build completed. Have not had a chance to test it yet, but pretty happy with the outcome.

Just a bit shorter than my KSG;

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yea, if anyone has any good quality spare parts available let me know.

Trying to start this build with my daughter's wedding 2 weeks away and money flowing out the door like water is probably .... ill advised! :rolleyes:

...but no one ever accused me of being all that sharp. :lol:
Bet the future father in law building a special AR during the wedding weeks wasn't unnerving to the groom at all!:p

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's real nice Rat.
Looks like I got a lot of similar parts. Mine is 8.5" bbl, yours looks a tad shorter.

Gun Firearm Rifle Assault rifle Air gun

If I do it again, I will NOT be using a billet upper and lower. Its just too heavy. Like you, it will be all forged (or lightened receivers).

Have you weighed it yet?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's real nice Rat.
Looks like I got a lot of similar parts. Mine is 8.5" bbl, yours looks a tad shorter.

View attachment 149105

If I do it again, I will NOT be using a billet upper and lower. Its just too heavy. Like you, it will be all forged (or lightened receivers).

Have you weighed it yet?
Mostly all Spikes and BCM parts. Actually, that is a 9 inch barrel so may just be the angle of the shot and the forend.

I have not weighed it yet. The stainless barrel is the heaviest part for sure. The rest of it is very light.

My first AR, I am looking forward to some range time with it in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, read too many issues around it and the guy who helped me with the build was not a fan.

·
Registered
552 Posts
No, read too many issues around it and the guy who helped me with the build was not a fan.
Hmm. Wasn't aware of any issues. I have them on all my Blackouts. They're all SLR Rifleworks.( actually one is an A2 adjustable bolt carrier)
My Pistol's barrel port is full .125 so it would be way over gassed with full pressure loads. But it will shoot anything from really hot 110 gr to subsonic 220 gr. with just a few clicks of the gas valve to get it nice and smooth.

I'm curious as to why they are not fans of adjustable gas :(

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So after getting familiar with my new (and first) AR I spent a few days at the range deciding on sights and getting it sighted in.

Unfortunately, I began to have issues with it feeding properly and the trigger not resetting. So I had to take it in to my builder to get it looked over.

Once I get these issues worked out I think I am going to really like this little gun!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.