SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Similar to another active thread, but looking for opinions on 2nd firearm.

I got the F-RX 9mm a few months ago for home defense. It is my first pistol and I didn't intend to CC at the time. Well I loved the gun so much I decided maybe I will CC and took the class this weekend.

I put in the PELT a couple of weeks ago (love it) and would not be opposed to an x-change kit. Though I've seen many folks say you may as well purchase a new gun and the heavier trigger pull of stock may be better for CC.

Leaning toward the Compact size, with ability to put on a SC frame later. I have 3 mags now so also leaning toward sticking with 9mm.

Appreciate all comments / experiences.

Thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nice! Great option. Personally, I like the Carry over the Compact because I think it balances better, allows for more purchase on the grip, and gives you an extra two rounds. That would be my vote.

However, the compact is more versatile. I expect most here will say go with the compact.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You're already running 17rnd mags, no reason to muck up the program by throwing a compact and 15rnd mags in the mix. Pick up a carry (you'll get 2 more 17rnd mags), get the sub frame and buy one 12rnd mag. Done

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
556 Posts
You're already running 17rnd mags, no reason to muck up the program by throwing a compact and 15rnd mags in the mix. Pick up a carry (you'll get 2 more 17rnd mags)
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly

However, I would not at all be opposed to throwing in a couple 21 rounds mags in the mix (which would run fine in either the Full Size or the Carry - without the need for an x grip adapter).

I carried a Compact for several years. Carry model has now dethroned my Compact. I personally do not notice the difference in grip length.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The Carry isn't available in RX though.

I gotta' have my dot! Oh sure, I can hit a target with the irons. Just the other day my dot just turned itself off. I never skipped a beat... just kept shooting with the irons. On the mag change I turned the dot back on and kept on going. Hasn't done it since.

I'm WAY more consistent with the dot.

If you want to go with the Carry, keep the Full size for a while as your EDC until you can get your Carry slide milled for an RX sight. OR.... just get a Compact RX.

With me, it's not about the two extra bullets, or the concealability, or the balance. With me it's all about hitting the target.

Reactions: virtualshooter

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great points folks I had not considered. Since I am a new shooter, I wonder if transition from dot to irons will be an issue.

If I go irons only, Carry makes most sense given your points.
If I go RX, probably easiest to go Compact and possibly get a Carry grip.

Thanks for comments!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Great points folks I had not considered. Since I am a new shooter, I wonder if transition from dot to irons will be an issue.

If I go irons only, Carry makes most sense given your points.
If I go RX, probably easiest to go Compact and possibly get a Carry grip.

Thanks for comments!
I personally haven't tried the red dot yet, but I'm looking forward to it. I would argue that you should learn the irons well, and think of the red dot as a bonus.

I'm looking to get an RX soon. I will get a Compact and just put a Carry grip on it with a 21 rounder.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Carry isn't available in RX though.

If you want to go with the Carry, keep the Full size for a while as your EDC until you can get your Carry slide milled for an RX sight. OR.... just get a Compact RX.

With me, it's not about the two extra bullets, or the concealability, or the balance. With me it's all about hitting the target.
Yea no need to mill a "Carry", as that designation refers to the grip module. The Carry and the Compact share the same slide.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
I have a full 40 and a compact 40 . I use the full size mags as backup mags . No x grip needed . The compact grip does make a difference along with grip size for concealed carry . I decided to try the small compact frame for the thinner grip as I was use to kahrs and thin gripped 1911's and found it shoot well , control was still fine and carried in a comp-tac neutral at 3:15 position with about 8 to 10* cant conceals well under even a T shirt that fits , not some over sized sloppy fitting shirt .

At the time I bought my p320 full size all holster options were few . That was 2 years ago but I really liked my old Comp-Tac Neutral holster so I ordered a p250 compact kydex body for it as there interchangeable on my old hybrid , ordered with a straight bottom to the kydex so a longer slides would work hoping the full size might carry well , it did not work as well as I hoped so picked up a p320 compact 40 and finally small compact grip worked well . Two years latter the P320 compact 40 is still my preferred EDC .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts