SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I both recently got into the carry world, we had a post http://sigtalk.com/guns/152410-new-ltc-looking-carry.html in which we received the usual "take classes", ect...

Well, she now has her first CCW, and I am still hunting. I was pretty well settled on starting with a 320 compact, which would be a nice compromise between a manageble CCW and range gun for both of us.

We both liked the way it fired (smooth/short trigger and easy to handle)and it concealed pretty decently on me. Unfortunately there aren't any around. I can put 20% down on one from Exeter and wait till they get some in. On the other hand I was also eyeing the P239, which I can get now. I havent had the chance to fire the 239 though.
I liked the feel and weight of it, it is an all metal gun and DA/SA as opposed to striker. The closest thing I fired to it was the 229, I thought the first pull was a little much but I still fired it fine and the follow up shots were quite nice. I probably would do better with the first shot if I was quicker with my trigger pull but I try to be slow and smooth.

My other option is getting something in the meantime and going on the list for the 320. This would give me a chance to scoop up something small like the LC9s (which my wife just bought, or a 238/938) for a smaller option even after I get the 320.

I know you cant tell me which gun is right for me, but if anyone has any feedback, I am all ears.

As I said, I am looking for a manageable CCW that can double as a decent range gun.

· Premium Member
868 Posts
Your other post you mentioned has some great advice. You need to find something that you can shoot efficiently and also comfortably carry. I found that I prefer polymer pistols for CC. I tried carrying my P225-A1 and the weight was noticeable to me. My current carry rotation is: Glock 19, P320c, and a Shield 9mm.

· Registered
3,458 Posts
Why not look at a Lite weight 1911 since single stacks are on your list . Springer range officer compact in 9mm Weights in the same class , Comes with a officer length grip but 4" barrel and price is right or a kimber ,colt or sig ultra/defender . 26oz , with Wilson mags 8+1 cap and 10 round back ups , thinner to carry too . Or a CZ rami in decocker or safety model .

If you see an nice older s&w pistol - Pre m&p all metal models !! S&W 3913 single stack small great shooter , 469 and 669 double stacks and 6906 . These might spoil you . iammo has some 6906 pistols .

My two carry pistols are a p320c 40sw and Sport South has a few and a s&w 669 .

· Banned
5,101 Posts
My wife and I both recently got into the carry world, we had a post http://sigtalk.com/guns/152410-new-ltc-looking-carry.html in which we received the usual "take classes", ect...

Well, she now has her first CCW, and I am still hunting. I was pretty well settled on starting with a 320 compact, which would be a nice compromise between a manageble CCW and range gun for both of us.

We both liked the way it fired (smooth/short trigger and easy to handle)and it concealed pretty decently on me. Unfortunately there aren't any around. I can put 20% down on one from Exeter and wait till they get some in. On the other hand I was also eyeing the P239, which I can get now. I havent had the chance to fire the 239 though.
I liked the feel and weight of it, it is an all metal gun and DA/SA as opposed to striker. The closest thing I fired to it was the 229, I thought the first pull was a little much but I still fired it fine and the follow up shots were quite nice. I probably would do better with the first shot if I was quicker with my trigger pull but I try to be slow and smooth.

My other option is getting something in the meantime and going on the list for the 320. This would give me a chance to scoop up something small like the LC9s (which my wife just bought, or a 238/938) for a smaller option even after I get the 320.

I know you cant tell me which gun is right for me, but if anyone has any feedback, I am all ears.

As I said, I am looking for a manageable CCW that can double as a decent range gun.
My advice to you is to find the gun you really want to carry and get it. Forget about a "range gun" unless you have the money to buy whatever you want. There is nothing wrong with having multiple guns for different purposes, but when it comes to a carry gun you need to be familiar with it. Given the fact that you're new to this world it behooves you to get yourself a good carry gun (the one you really want 'if you can') and commit yourself to becoming an expert with that gun. Then, if you want a range or fun gun later, by all means buy it, but until you're more experienced with guns it's best to get one and stick with it. Master it and then move on to another platform.

There are inherent dangers associated with handling guns of different fire control systems, i.e. striker fire gun for carry, DA/SA for home defense, SAO gun for range toy, etc. Your carry gun, whether it be striker fire, DA/SA or SAO, can serve as all these things in the beginning, and it probably should until you feel you've mastered the platform. For me, I prefer striker fire for conceal carry b/c it has a consistent trigger you can train to, and I can shoot more accurately with it, especially on the first shot when split seconds matter. My EDC gun also serves as my primary home defense gun as well as my all around GP gun. I just feel that it is best to become proficient on a platform and then stick with it for defensive purposes. It just reduces the likelihood of error when the ****.

There are lots of great carry guns out there in all platforms. You just need to select one you like and train with it. Make it your mission to master it before you move on to another one...and I do recommend moving on to other platforms. It's just too much fun not to! If I had the money I would have a lot more guns than what I do, but I would still carry what I carry now b/c I'm trained to it and it is like an extension of my hand. Of course, you do what you wish, but this is just my advice, FWIW. I think the P320c is a fine choice for a carry gun. You may want to consider a good single stack also. The Glock 43, Shield, Springfield XDs, Walther PPS or CCP or even the Ruger LC9s...all of these are fantastic carry options.

Good luck with your process, and welcome to the site!

Reactions: AZMacaw

· Registered
1,798 Posts
I am not a competition shooter. I use my carry guns as my range guns. The range I go to I can draw from holster. Fire as fast as I can use any ammo. except tracer type. I can bring almost anything I want to shoot at there except explosive type targets. (Must take away or deposit in dumpster some targets, people have brought refrigerators, safes etc. to shoot at.) They also have competitions there if I wanted to try my hand. Just lucky this range is available.( The range is owned by local Fop)

· Registered
1,057 Posts
If you liked shooting the 229 then I would say you can't go wrong with the 239. The 239 is the little brother of the 229 and is similar in many ways. The biggest complaint I see people post on this forum regarding the 239 is the grip size(smaller) and the fact that it is a single stack magazine. I love mine and wouldn't be without it. The best advice I can give you is not to buy something until you can at least hold one in your hand to see the fit.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are lots of great carry guns out there in all platforms. You just need to select one you like and train with it. Make it your mission to master it before you move on to another one...and I do recommend moving on to other platforms. It's just too much fun not to! If I had the money I would have a lot more guns than what I do, but I would still carry what I carry now b/c I'm trained to it and it is like an extension of my hand. Of course, you do what you wish, but this is just my advice, FWIW. I think the P320c is a fine choice for a carry gun. You may want to consider a good single stack also. The Glock 43, Shield, Springfield XDs, Walther PPS or CCP or even the Ruger LC9s...all of these are fantastic carry options.
I completely agree with you on this. I don't want you to misinterpret my intent. I am trying to get a medium sized carry gun because I want us to have some versatility in what we shoot at the range. My primary goal is to gain familiarity, confidence, and training with our carry weapon, I just figured that my weapon could double as both a carry gun and something that wasn't horrible to shoot at the range... because it was overly small. A good example of that would be a 938 without the extended clip, it would be rather uncomfortable in my hand.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you liked shooting the 229 then I would say you can't go wrong with the 239. The 239 is the little brother of the 229 and is similar in many ways. The biggest complaint I see people post on this forum regarding the 239 is the grip size(smaller) and the fact that it is a single stack magazine. I love mine and wouldn't be without it. The best advice I can give you is not to buy something until you can at least hold one in your hand to see the fit.
Thanks for the input. I did hold the 239 and got a feel for its operation, I just didnt have the chance to dry fire it. I held it immediately after the 320C actually and liked them both pretty similarly.

I am very tempted to get the 239 this weekend, then maybe down the line get the 320c when it becomes available locally. The downside would be that I would be picking up 2 different platforms... DA/SA and striker with a safety. I would lean toward training with whichever I carry.

On the flip side though, I feel like the DA/SA guns are starting to become antiquated with so many manufacturers starting to go the way of strikers... I don't want to train into a dying platform.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not look at a Lite weight 1911 since single stacks are on your list . Springer range officer compact in 9mm Weights in the same class , Comes with a officer length grip but 4" barrel and price is right or a kimber ,colt or sig ultra/defender . 26oz , with Wilson mags 8+1 cap and 10 round back ups , thinner to carry too . Or a CZ rami in decocker or safety model .

If you see an nice older s&w pistol - Pre m&p all metal models !! S&W 3913 single stack small great shooter , 469 and 669 double stacks and 6906 . These might spoil you . iammo has some 6906 pistols .

My two carry pistols are a p320c 40sw and Sport South has a few and a s&w 669 .
I think the easiest answer is ...Massachusetts.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dont you have to get the 320 with a safety in MA?
True. Thumb safety doesn't bother me. I would almost rather that all guns I buy have a thumb safety so that we will always be training to use the safety since so many MA compliant guns have them. Really, the only guns that dont have them are DA with a 10+ lb initial trigger pull.

That leaves SAO and striker fired guns. Great options if you get over the thumb safety.

I think if you exclusively train with a thumb safety though, you should never forget to remove it, even under pressure because it becomes as second nature as pulling the trigger to fire... I would guess.

· Registered
452 Posts
On the flip side though, I feel like the DA/SA guns are starting to become antiquated with so many manufacturers starting to go the way of strikers... I don't want to train into a dying platform.
This is silly.

Manufacturers like profit and Tupperware firearms are profitable and cheaper for buyers including large contract procurement. So the 320 has a real purpose but not to replace DA/SA.

DA/SA restrike is really really useful for EDC.

· Registered
1,660 Posts
True. Thumb safety doesn't bother me. I would almost rather that all guns I buy have a thumb safety so that we will always be training to use the safety since so many MA compliant guns have them. Really, the only guns that dont have them are DA with a 10+ lb initial trigger pull.

That leaves SAO and striker fired guns. Great options if you get over the thumb safety.

I think if you exclusively train with a thumb safety though, you should never forget to remove it, even under pressure because it becomes as second nature as pulling the trigger to fire... I would guess.
Given all this, I would get the p239 or another DA/SA Sig and not look back.

· Registered
3,458 Posts
Are small 1911's legal in your state ?? Something like a compact ultra , defender sized 1911 , maybe a CCO style with a officers grip and 4" slide or a LW commander in 9mm
. Empty weights run from 26 to 30oz so there easy to shoot even for a newbe . Capacity can be as low as 8 rounds or with wilson compact mags 9 round compact mags and carry 10 round mag as back up . You can match how they fit your hand with grip thickness or triggers length as there available in 3 size's so reach can be tuned to your hand .

· Registered
452 Posts
Couple of thoughts FWIW...

If you enjoy shooting and have range access/membership I'd really factor that you're going to eventually want a larger "range gun" (that isn't used as a CCW). I just can't imagine someone who shoots regularly (weekly) having only a very compact 9mm (any one) especially a plastic fantastic with small grip.

The P239 is indeed a strong contender (.40 would be my choice as you can drop in a 9 barrel). The decocker makes it very safe and the SA shooting at the range is a joy (especially w/ SRT or add one later $50). 3.6" barrel and single stack has a nice grip and IWB concealable and you could shoot 100-200 rounds at a range session and not blink an eye.

For carry w/ safety the M&P Shield with safety is another to consider but it's not a "range gun" by any stretch of my imagination.

· 🎖USMC Veteran Premium Member
1,030 Posts
IMO get the P239 for now. It will not become antiquated. It will continue to have a great resale value.

You can always buy the 320 later.

You will enjoy it and perhaps like it enough to give it plenty of range time. It is accurate, dependable, and fun to shoot as well as a pleasure to carry.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are small 1911's legal in your state ?? Something like a compact ultra , defender sized 1911 , maybe a CCO style with a officers grip and 4" slide or a LW commander in 9mm
. Empty weights run from 26 to 30oz so there easy to shoot even for a newbe . Capacity can be as low as 8 rounds or with wilson compact mags 9 round compact mags and carry 10 round mag as back up . You can match how they fit your hand with grip thickness or triggers length as there available in 3 size's so reach can be tuned to your hand .
I gave that some thought too, but I didnt find a compact 1911 that was on the Massachusetts Roster. http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/approvedfirearmsroster10-2016.pdf

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went to a local gun show over the weekend in lieu of planned trip to the sigpro shop in Exeter. I wanted to see if anything else appealed to me and I was planning to pick an an LC9s as a smaller carry gun so I figured it wouldnt be a waste.

I ended up talking to a couple of vendors and another fella there who had experience with both the LC9s and the .40 Shield. As far as small guns are concerned, I had previously put about 50 rounds through the Shield, LC9s, and P938. Before firing them I was sold on the 938 because I am a quality oriented guy and I was sold by my perception of the guns alone. I initially compared the Shield with the 938, the they both felt fine but the Shield felt very nice for me, I decided against it because it stovepiped during firing and I already wanted the 938.

At a later date we went back to fire the 938 again, my wife was going to get one for herself and for the hell of it we grabbed the LC9s for comparison. Well, it was a bad day for the Sig because it must have jammed a half dozen times, I figured it was dirty or the clip was faulty. It didnt matter much though because it turns out we both liked the feel of the Ruger and my wife bought one for herself.

Well, back at the show over the weekend, I had every intention of grabbing another LC9s for myself... when I decided to handle the Shield again. Long story short, I was sold on the Shield with the apex trigger and walked away with that. It is a great little gun, it fits my hand and conceals very well.

So for now, the Shield is my carry gun. But I still have the wife signing off on picking up another... so I will probably be grabbing a P239 very soon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.