SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 229 .40 that had some issues right out of the box. The 229 had continuous failure to eject issues. Being brand new I sent back to the factory for repair and they did the following, polished the ramp, new guide rod, guide rod spring and extractor.

One strange issue is the recoil spring is now yellow, it was originally blue.

Does anyone know what the spring color signifies?

Sig said they test fired 60 rounds with no malfunctions. I hope to get a chance to shoot it this week and verify the repair.

My main question, is what the spring color signifies, lb change?..

I know I repaired a failure to feed issue on an old 1911 by installing a Wolf 21 lb spring.

Thanks for your help

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,041 Posts
Welcome to Sig Talk, from the southwest corner of Indiana. From this chart, we see this color spring (yellow) is normally used on Immigrations and Customs Enforcement issued handguns.

When you stated that the pistol wouldn't eject, did the case "stovepipe" and get hung up in the ejection port? It's possible this is an intermediate weight spring, with the 9mm spring (white) being the lightest weight rated, and the .357 Sig possibly needing the heaviest weight (blue).

It could be the ammunition you are using, as you didn't state your ammunition. Did Sig ask you, or did you tell them what you were using?
There is a wide variety of ammunition available, as well as power levels, so some times adjustments are necessary.

I hope their solution remedies you initial problems. Also make sure the weapon is adequately lubricated.

Attachments

·
🎖USA Veteran
56,563 Posts
from the chart: yellow says "ice use only"!!

should be blue or purple for 40/357sig.

welcome from az

·
14,041 Posts
ThnkFrst, did you create that database? Very professional looking, and beneficial to locate "trends"!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback.. .I will check why they retrofitted with yellow as opposed to blue springs. Sounds like they did a lot of fine tuning work on a firearm that was already released from the factory for a retail customer delivery, I hope their QC has not fallen off the cliff.....

·
Registered
20,961 Posts
I will check why they retrofitted with yellow as opposed to blue springs.
I would make them change it. Normally I wouldn't argue with what SIG had to say about THEIR gun, but in this case I am positive that we (SIG Talk) are right and the yellow spring does not belong in that gun.

If I had to guess I'd say that ICE uses a special kind of ammo that calls for a different recoil spring, so SIG made them a special yellow one.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.. .I will check why they retrofitted with yellow as opposed to blue springs. Sounds like they did a lot of fine tuning work on a firearm that was already released from the factory for a retail customer delivery, I hope their QC has not fallen off the cliff.....
If your P229 must have a non-standard (yellow) recoil spring to function properly then I have to believe there is some unresolved issue somewhere with that pistol.

At the very least, you should ask how SIG expects you to support such a configuration when the yellow springs are (supposedly) only available to ICE. The recoil spring is a "wear" item and you are going to need a replacement in about 5k rounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue. My new 229 Legion .40 was having about 20% FTF, the round would hit the feedramp and get hung up. also dimpled primers without discharge. I Sent it in to Sig as I wasn't confident carrying. they stated that the Recoil spring was "Incredibly deformed" and they only replaced the spring from the Yellow it came with to Blue. They mentioned that they also fired 100 rounds and had no issues. took about 4 weeks

They didnt mention that they installed the wrong spring in the first place. I also replaced all my Sig mag springs with Wolff as they didnt feel as tight as my HK mags.

Hopefully this all does the trick

·
14,041 Posts
arrowmi, welcome to Sig Talk, from the southwest corner of Indiana.

I don't know how familiar you are with Sig's recoil springs, or how closely you have read your manual. You will notice that one end of the recoil spring will be color coded, to identify weight rating. The color coded end will have a tighter(smaller) coiled diameter, which should be slid over the guide rod so it bears against the flange of the guide rod.

Having the springs on reversed can also cause the problem of "mangled springs", but it appears yours must have been caused by the wrong spring.

Good Luck, and good shooting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried my friends 229 barrel in 357 sig in my new .40 Legion and now the recoil spring is very tight and cant easily be pulled off the guide rod. and it looks a bit bent on the muzzle end. the blue spring is supposed to be 40/357sig complient. what would happen if I went with a 19lb spring instead of the 17lb blue spring.

Any thoughts? was using standard factory 125gr target loads

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had another problem with my P229 (German made). At approximately 3000 rds (zero problems and malfunctions) my recoil spring broke...I realised this when I stripeed the pistol to clean it. Obviously it was still working while broken! I haven't seen any "colour coded" springs in European models. Anyone seen this before? Ammunition used is mostly magtech and S&B 9mm 124gr ball (all factory loaded)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.