SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 229 Legion finally arrived today, hurray! I took it straight home to clean and came across something that I have not experienced before. The recoil spring was VERY tightly wrapped around the guide rod. It took a great deal of both finesse and force to separate the two. I lubed both and twisted the spring back around the rod. The pistol passed a function check, so I guess it's alright, but I have never had a recoil spring not just slide off of the guide rod. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
My P229ST is the same way...even with a Gray Guns rod replacement. I guess that's just the way the springs are.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Some are tight some aren't. They loosen when compressed, I've found for the tight ones if you turn them clockwise like you were screwing the spring in the loosen and get easier to remove.

·
Premium Member
13,408 Posts
My P220 isn't like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same, on my P220, P226 Legion, and P228 the spring comes off easily. But the P229ST has been reliable, so i guess that's just how it is for that.

I did briefly have a 90's P229 that wasn't tight like that, but two recent ones did.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did not have any issues with the recoil spring on my 229 Legion. However, out of the box, the de-cocker and mag release were very tight. I have 750 rounds through my 229 and the controls work just fine.

Enjoy!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.