SIG Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody help me out please. I want to buy one of those adaption plates that mount in the rear sight dovetail and let you mount a Romeo red dot on a slide that isn’t optics ready. The sig catalog has two to choose from. My 229 is a legion pistol chambered in .40 S&W. Which plate do I need, the one for the 229-1, or the one for the 229 non-1? Thanks!

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,597 Posts
The P229-1 is actually referring to the 9mm slide, I would imagine that has the long extractor, while the other version is for the "legacy" style short extractor slide.

Since they both use the same dimension rear sight dovetail, I would assume the difference is the top contour of the slide.

In that case your Legion should use the 229-1 adapter, I would think. But it would probably be best to contact the manufacturer to be absolutely sure. As far as I know the long extractor slides are dimensionally the same between calibers, while the older short extractor "Legacy" slides used different dimensions with their 9mm slides when compared to those for .357 Sig/.40 S& W.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just curious .. why not just buy a red dot optics cut slide or have your slide milled? Those adapter plates are fine but you lose co-witness. Slide milling is around $125 where I live and you get a nice deep cut that allows the optic to co-witness

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just curious .. why not just buy a red dot optics cut slide or have your slide milled? Those adapter plates are fine but you lose co-witness. Slide milling is around $125 where I live and you get a nice deep cut that allows the optic to co-witness
I did exactly that and I’m much happier than my weekly range buddy is with his adaptor plate setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did exactly that and I’m much happier than my weekly range buddy is with his adaptor plate setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’d much rather do the milled slide. Did you do that to a 229 in .40? It looks like there’s plenty of material for the milling operation, but I wasn’t as sure that the holes could be drilled without causing problems. I had sent a query to Sig to see if they offered the slide milling service, he replied that they don’t, that it would void warranty, and that they don’t supply slide milling specs either.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Mike:
There are many reputable shops that will do a Mill job on a slide. the biggest challenge that I can see is with respect to holsters for optics equipped pistols. With the demise of the Romeo1 to the Romeo1Pro, many sights won't fit into holsters. which creates a bit of a quandary for Service pistols.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,597 Posts
Part of the problem is both with you wanting to place an optic, on a P229 in .40 S&W, and then the optic itself being able to handle the recoil. As far as what optics can handle the recoil, that should be your first step, as there are a large variety of mounting footprints, all depending on brand and model of the optic. Once you have a likely optic capable of handling the recoil, then you need to approach a couple of the many firms that mill slides, to insure that is a viable combination. Remember different caliber slides may have different lightening cuts, to achieve a predetermined weight for proper cycling.

Here's one that I'm aware of, PMM Sig P229/P226/220/227 Optic & Lightening Slide Cuts (parkermountainmachine.com)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Part of the problem is both with you wanting to place an optic, on a P229 in .40 S&W, and then the optic itself being able to handle the recoil. As far as what optics can handle the recoil, that should be your first step, as there are a large variety of mounting footprints, all depending on brand and model of the optic. Once you have a likely optic capable of handling the recoil, then you need to approach a couple of the many firms that mill slides, to insure that is a viable combination. Remember different caliber slides may have different lightening cuts, to achieve a predetermined weight for proper cycling.

Here's one that I'm aware of, PMM Sig P229/P226/220/227 Optic & Lightening Slide Cuts (parkermountainmachine.com)
Thanks, that is very useful info. I’d buy a 229 in 9mm with the Romeo mounted on it if there was one available. I looked at converting my .40 into 9mm, but it looked like that was going to cost near a grand buying factory parts from Sig, and I just can’t see doing that. I did get a follow up response from Sig today, and they confirmed the 229-1 adapter plate would be the one to fit my slide. I’ll do some mulling now to figure out which path I’m going to go down. It’s nice to have choices!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts