SIG Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I took the bait on the CDI/Gunbroker beat up 228's .I ordered 3 :D
One will be for a co-worker,we bundled shipping costs. One(or both) of the remaining 2 I plan to send to Robar and have them stripped and finished in NP3+. The plan is to hopefully have one done in time for my son's 21st birthday next Feb.
I may save the other as a beater/truck gun/etc until the first one is complete and/or the play money fund is built up again.

Would it be wise to ship with a new firing pin and spring,along with a parts kit to Robar for reassembly? I plan to ask a few questions of them in the coming week but figured I'd get some weekend advice here as well.

Registered
Those guns are extremely worn, but most likely that is just on the outside.

If it were me, upon receipt I'd strip the frame and slide to inspect each part, then replace as necessary. I'd do a parts kit either way.

If you are sending it to Robar, then yes, sending the replacement parts along with the gun is a good idea.

Reactions: bearone2

Registered
Well, if you ever wondered about SIG's slogan of "To Hell and Back Reliability", now you know what they look like when they come back from Hell. :eek::eek::eek:

Don't forget that the thickness of the original anodization finish on the frame is part of the design and tolerance of the pistol. If you strip that off for replating and the thickness of the new finish isn't the same as the old anodization (which it wont' be if Robar strips to bare aluminum), then you've got an issue.

As for me, I wouldn't put a live round through it until every part was removed, thoroughly inspected and cleaned, every spring replaced and fully function tested.

Lot's of better options out there for getting a good P228 that don't involve starting with a bad one.

Registered
I was thinking of doing this but didn't have the guts to go through with it! Good for you, can't wait to see how it goes for you, your trailblazing will help build my confidence!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 3 P228's came today. They are battleworn as the best description I can use. 2 are KH,1997,one is a KJ 1998. The significance is my son was born in 1997 so one of the two KH's will be the first to go out and get plated and refreshed for his 21st birthday in Feb.'18. I had a P228 parts kit on hand so I just stripped the first one down and installed all the new parts I had. Much of the rattle is gone,heavy dose of Lucas red-n-tacky and it is a pretty tight gun. It's not new,never gonna be but I think it is a good project and hopefully a family heirloom that can be enjoyed many,many times at the range. The grips are quite worn and I enjoyed the feel of the Hogue rubber grip panels on my recently purchased nickel 228 so I might get a couple sets in the house next week and give it a spin at the range.I'll try and get some pics of the internals on them stripped down and ready to install new parts kits.I hope to win the lottery soon to help fund these wishful dreams.
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Registered
Those really don't look that bad on the outside and they are genuine service weapons with legitimate wear. I've seen LE trade-ins that looked worse.

Be sure to examine the frames for cracks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an update, I carry one of these as does a co-worker.We've got 500 rounds downrange and things are still smooth and great.Another friend has convinced me that these guns earned their scars ,bruises and bumps ,just like we all have so they are staying battleworn. Have not been able to approach the subject with my son as he is more interested in the guns on Call of Duty than at the range so I'm not sure nickel would be up his alley.I did really like the refresher that Sig Sauer Puss did with the epoxy paint ,for now it is safe to say 2 of the 3 will probably stay worn and carried. All 3 have had new springs,Hogue rubber grips,stainless guide rods,fresh magazines and deep cleanings.

Premium Member
It should look really sharp coated in NP3+. Please post pics. Nice snag....always good to see P228's making their way to good homes.

Reactions: bearone2
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.