SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I briefly owned a P227 SAS. It is hand's down, a phenomenal 45. If I were in the market for another 45 ACP I'd probably buy another P227 SAS. I was just soured on it when I realized it is a 10 shot pistol. It worked flawlessly with all the 10 round mags, with a variety of ammo. The 14 round magazines sucked! I know many other people also had issues, and supposedly, they have fixed(?) the 14 round magazine problem, but I would be reluctant to trust them after my horrible experience. And the bad thing is it is really marketed heavily as a 14-round gun.

Long story short, if you are OK with thinking of it as a 10 round gun, go for it. You will probably love it. As a side note, I loved the double-stack of the P227. The extra 2 rounds over the P220 were just icing on the cake for me. The primary reason I liked it more is that a staggered magazine is much easier to load in the gun under stress than a single stack.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
I love my 227 sas. Great gun. Just got rehooked on 1911s as of a couple years ago and appreciate their skinniness. The 227 is a bit chunkier than a Commander is all. Doesn't conceal as well on the baseball field. And since I'm a little league coach the 1911s lay flatter and allow me to slide into home easier. :)

·
Registered
23,604 Posts
I love my 227 sas. Great gun. Just got rehooked on 1911s as of a couple years ago and appreciate their skinniness. The 227 is a bit chunkier than a Commander is all. Doesn't conceal as well on the baseball field. And since I'm a little league coach the 1911s lay flatter and allow me to slide into home easier. :)
MAN! Those parents really ARE getting rough, huh? :eek:

:lol:

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
MAN! Those parents really ARE getting rough, huh? :eek:

:lol:
It is kinda funny/worrisome. In our league if the kids don't slide into home they get called out. Unless it's a totally easy walk over the plate for safety reasons they have to slide so the catcher doesn't get injured. And yeah sometimes I have to show them how. At 47 it ain't easy I tell ya! Also toward the end of practice we play base running games/drills where everyone chases everyone and I worry about some mom yelling 'OMG IS THAT A G U N?!?!?' So the flatter the better. :)

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
That's a GREAT price for a Great gun. I too was a bit soured about the 14 rd mags not working (FTF). The 10s work flawlessly. My 227 SAS is a load to carry, but it's no so much to make me not carry it. I do scale down what I carry in the hot summer, but on a quick outing my 227 is my "Go To" gun. Buy it cgff, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Yeah, P227 SAS is a fav winter carry here. I'm very happy to carry this 10 rounder, and don't own any of those 14rd mags.

This double stack grip framed 45 does feel a lot different than the much luved 1911 & P220 single stack 45s. So, you should rent one at a range to see if you like this gun before plunking down your hard-earned.

Like alot of guys, I tended to shoot left initially with this thicker grip. But, after several range trips, 227 became my best shooting 45...

Cheers

·
Registered
23,604 Posts
That's a GREAT price for a Great gun. I too was a bit soured about the 14 rd mags not working (FTF). The 10s work flawlessly. My 227 SAS is a load to carry, but it's no so much to make me not carry it. I do scale down what I carry in the hot summer, but on a quick outing my 227 is my "Go To" gun. Buy it cuff, you won't regret it.
I recently got a great deal on a P220 SAS Gen 2 Carry and I couldn't pass it up. After I shoot it a bit more and get a holster, I may carry that some. Same number of rounds as my P239 SAS Gen 2 9mm with a bigger punch. And not much bigger in size. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All great responses, thank you. I did think it was a great price, I went in to that shop as I was told they had a 229 legion in .40 and a 226 enhanced elite also in .40
My hesitation on it was I have been heavily gearing towards the .40S&W, lately
I do own a .45 1911 but only keep on hand a minimal amount of factory ammunition as I do not shoot it heavily and only load for it on a single stage press. I guess my biggest issue hesitation would be another mouth to feed, lol.
Well I never got back to that shop this evening so I have overnight to read and catch some
Videos on the 227, With another purchase it will shut my budget down for at least a few months or till the release of the 220 legion.

·
Registered
258 Posts
have 2

I have 2 227's love them, they seem to have ironed out the 14 round mag problems as I haven't had any issues with mine (both bought in the last 14 months)

·
🎖USN Veteran
6,816 Posts
I love my 227 sas. Great gun. Just got rehooked on 1911s as of a couple years ago and appreciate their skinniness. The 227 is a bit chunkier than a Commander is all. :)
I am in in about the same boat. Loved the P227, but the 1911 I bought late last year has taken its spot. The P227 has moved on and been replaced with a P938 Extreme. Not really a replacement, but I don't see a need for a gun that I will not use, so I traded it. The P227 was a little bulkier and I just could not get comfortable carrying it. I now have three Sigs that I am very comfortable with, my M11-a1, 1911 Compact Nitron and the P938 Extreme. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.;)

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I still need to shoot a P227 in order to decide if I get a P220 or P227. Shot a P220 once and it was scary accurate (more accurate than my P229). Held a P227 with E2 grips at the LGS and it didn't felt much bulkier than my P229. Thinking of getting either the P220 SAS or P227 SAS so it can share the holsters with my P229.

Reactions: Big Cape

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 227 would not replace my 1911, just not sure other then a good buy that I have a place for it, not sure if that makes sense? My 1911 is not a CCW for me but when I travel it is with me, when I visit friends when we go to shoot it is with me, maybe just approaching this from too logical a place. My only redundant callibers are chambered in 9mm.
Hmm stay posted we may have pictures coming later?

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I think the 227 is a great option for someone who likes the 226, but wants .45ACP. It is essentially the same gun being only slightly larger in the grip. I've not handled a carry model, but I do like the SAS aspect of these guns. The rounded edges looks good, and it reduces the snag potential. I would think the Carry SAS would be a really nice choice.

Reactions: Jonzim48
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.