SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

227 Grip Screws?

10K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  klugey1 
#1 ·
Does the full size 227 use the same grip screws as the 226? 220? I need the screws and bushings (P227)and where to find them.

Reactions: bearone2
#2 ·
No....take a look

....P226 screws have deeper head and deeper threads, and, I think, a slightly larger diameter.

P226 on the right, P227 on the left.

You must also get the small grip screw bushings on the right with the little lip around the edge. These fit into the slots on the P227 frame.

It took me a couple of tries for Sig to get the right ones to me...the larger
no-lip bushings kept showing up....not even sure what those go to....but I have plenty of them now.

You might also try Midwest Gun Works.

Northlight

Attachments

#8 ·
It took me a couple of tries for Sig to get the right ones to me...the larger
no-lip bushings kept showing up....not even sure what those go to....but I have plenty of them now.
I believe that the larger no-lip bushings are for the P224/229C. Those models use the same design concept for grip mounting as the P227, but different parts. And, no, I have no idea why they are different.

#7 ·
This all started for me when....

...somebody mentioned CDNN had P227 G-10 grips for under $30...without the screws and bushings. (They still have the grips in stock).

And there's another thread here on the forum about cutting them down to fit if you don't want the magwell style. (It's easy to do.)

Northlight

Attachments

#9 ·
I also ordered the G10 grips from CDNN. I knew they wouldn't ship with screws or bushings. I called SIG but I did not get a knowledgeable cs rep. I won't go into the painful phone conversation but I ended up ending the call without an order. I called Chris Opila and ordered a set. The grips came in yesterday. I'm guessing the screws and bushings will come in today.

#10 ·
I ordered the grips from CDNN, as well. $24, but no grip screws or bushings included. Thanks for the info folks.

#13 ·
I would recommend that you get the bushings that are specific to the P227. They are made a little different. The P224s will work but the P227s are a bit "meatier" and fit flush into the recesses in the P227's grip frame.

I bought mine from Chris Opila at Opila Arms P.O. BOX 43. Merrimack, NH 03054-0043, sales@opilaarms.com.

Great guy.

I have attached pics to show the differences.

The first pic with one bushing and one screw is the P224 grip screw bushing.
The second picture of four bushings are the P227 bushings. You can see how they have a "step" in their shape that allows them to recess and create a flush surface inside the grip frame. They also come in the P227 Parts Kit if you want too get that from him for a little more.

Attachments

#20 ·
My bushings and screws just came in from Chris Opila! They are the correct ones for the P227 and not the flat/fat gray ones for the P224. TacOps grip is now on my Tactical. Feels so much better in my hand than the E2! I'm going to keep the length on mine. It wouldn't be a bad idea to buy another set and shave those down but I like my 14 round magazines (I know I'm one of the few lucky ones). This is a recreational firearm and home defense. I have plenty of EDC's.

#23 ·
Grips arrived. Screws & bushings ordered.

What was your method/tools for trimming and finishing them CXXX? (Nice work)

#27 · (Edited)
Trim Method

I first fitted the grips on the gun, with a magazine inserted, I used a pencil to trace around the inside of the grips.

Removed grips from the gun and used a Dremel with a cut off wheel for the first cut. (wear a dust mask),

Subsequent cuts to get to the desired length and angle, I was comparing the P227 grips to the G10's that came on my P229 Carry.

Once I got the rough cut done, I used a piece of medium grit sandpaper with adhesive backing on a flat board to sand the base of the grips. I held the grips together to get them to match.

Final edge smoothing was done with 600 wet or dry sandpaper.

The grips were a dusty mess when done, Soap and water clean up left them a bit dry and gray looking, per the Hogue web site, a light coat of Johnson's Baby Oil freshened them up.

Pic next to P229 Carry G10's

#25 ·
Here's how I trimmed...

...the P227 G-10 Grips from CDNN:

Test fit the magwell grips with a magazine in place and marked the inside of the grips all around with a fresh x-acto blade.

Using a fine tooth (32 teeth per inch) fresh hacksaw blade carefully sliced off the extra length. A little filing and sanding and they are done.

I chose to make my grips flush with the bottom of the magazine.

Northlight

#28 ·
I love pistol projects.

I like these logo grips.

I hope to get started on trimming them this weekend.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Pics when available.

Reactions: TimKempAK
#29 ·
Mostly Complete G10s

I'll touch them up a little more with fine sandpaper, but sawing and filing are done on these grips from CDNN ($24)

I couldn't have imagined how easy this was and how good they look. Bye E2s.

Still waiting on the screws and bushings.

Attachments

#30 ·
I'll touch them up a little more with fine sandpaper, but sawing and filing are done on these grips from CDNN ($24)

I couldn't have imagined how easy this was and how good they look. Bye E2s.

Still waiting on the screws and bushings.
You are inspiring me to quit procrastinating and do that to mine. :D

Reactions: CXXX
#34 ·
P227 Screws, bushings and pics of the process

I finally picked up a P227 Nitron for $500 in box, barely used with 2 10rd mags. I love my E2s on my P226, but the E2s are slightly larger on the P227. I found the Magwell Sig Sauer logo grips on eBay for $18, and I'm going to chop them off (and maybe order another one when I find a 14 round magazine).

If you have a step by step process for the chopping (with Pics) that would be ideal. I contacted the Christopher guy at Opila Arms for the screws and bushings, but the lady that answered the phone said I had the wrong number. Hopefully he answers my email.

Does anyone else have suggestions on how I get the correct screws and bushings?

#32 ·
Project Completed - 227 Grips

Screws and bushings arrived today.

I stopped sanding and filing on the grips, while I'm still ahead.

I like these a lot better than E2's, and the SIG logo is a bonus.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.