SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the SAO doesn't come with a decocker...but is there any damage to be done to the gun by loading it and not having it cocked, or preventing the hammer from striking while pulling the trigger (ie, holding pressure on the hammer so it slowly drops)

i haven't done this yet...wanted to ask some of you folks with more experience.

feel like a noob asking...my previous pistols were p320 and rx...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Should not be an issue. But, I believe it should be carried like a 1911- cocked and locked.
If that worries you, don't be. It is completely safe. As with most modern day pistols with the firing pin block. The only way it will fire, is when trigger is fully depressed to the rear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i appreciate the reply. it was less about worry, and more about curiosity. Figured if i was curious...maybe someone else was too.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It is very unwise to manually drop the hammer on a loaded handgun. You run the risk of the hammer slipping and discharging a round, potentially harming you or someone else. It's not unheard of, and this is why the decocker was introduced.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Only one correction to the posts above...

In this particular model, hammer is released when trigger goes past 90 degrees to slide; that's considerably less than fully depressed to rear ;-)

And, you can always remove magazine and rack slide to clear gun, all while safety is engaged, then release hammer. That would be my preferred method.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I carry mine cocked and locked. I know that I have the option to hold the hammer and pull the trigger then slowly let the hammer down but the thought of the hammer slipping and firing the gun while doing this has prevented me from trying it.

I have dropped the hammer this way a few times on a revolver but that was many years ago when I was younger and indestructible.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The thought of slowly laying the hammer down in a live round gives me goosebumps. This gun was made for cocked and locked. If the gun was intended to carry with hammer dropped it would have a decocker.

I know the op's original post was out of a curiosity standpoint so no offense intended. Hopefully someone contemplating carrying it this way will read these post and reconsider. Cocked and locked is the recommended carry method.

"God created men and Sam Colt made them equal"

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
NEVER release the hammer on a live round in the pipe! BAD idea.

Good thing is that, although there is no decocker (and unlike 1911's), SIG SAO's allow racking the slide with the safety engaged. You can drop the mag and rack the slide to clear a round in the chamber, then safely drop the hammer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm in the "never drop the hammer on a live round" camp. I really like the feature of being able to clear the chamber with the safety on. I like that feature so much on my P226 SAO that I'm thinking about picking up a P220 SAO and seeing if I prefer it to my 1911's. Never had a ND but it always freaks me out a bit having to disengage the safety on my carry 1911's.

Don't know why but it reminds me of my Vietnam vet FIL. He saw my cocked & locked 1911 and thought I was crazy to carry it "like that". I asked him how else you could carry it without dropping the hammer on a live round? Guess the Marine brass had them carry with an empty pipe back in the late 60's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.