SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the gun range today, and someone had a legion they were shooting. He was really cool and let me put a few mags through it. AMAZING!!! Now i really one won for a range/home defense gun.

He broke the gun down for me and let me let inspect the finish on it. I seen no issues or abnormal wear after about 800 rounds. I looked at one in the store and right from the factory i already seen wear where the barrel rides against the slide on one of them. I even see a spot were the finish flaked off and i could see silver on the rail.

are reports of finish issues overblown,or are a lot of these going back? I really want this gun, but the only thing holding me back is getting one is finish issues. I can get a brand new one OTD for 1k

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i see guns as a tool also, but from what i see online that is more then just normal wear. the legion i shot was very dirty from a lot of rounds though it but had no visible wear. on the other hand the new one they had for sale was already showing wear straight from the factory. the one he was shooting with 800 rounds showed less then the new one on the floor. i'm not bsing either

·
Registered
436 Posts
I carry my 229 Legion when I not using my 225-A1 or my .45 Shield. The 226 Legion gets used for outdoor range use. Both of them get holstered and shot a good bit. Neither shows any more wear than my other sigs. Maybe I just got lucky with my two.

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
I see guns as valued possessions and as tools. I won't put a wrench away dirty, and suspect most mechanics, who take pride in their work and skill, feel the same. So at least for them, "It's just a tool", makes not a lick of sense. As silly as it sounds, there's a trust, sort of a bond that transcends dollar value, and maybe logic too, between a good tool and a craftsman. Guns, being tools, are the same. I'll work on a gun for the better part of a day to get everything exactly the way I want. The '99 P229 on my hip would not trade for two new Legions (really, not just saying) - clearly for me, it's not about money and for some would make no sense. That's okay.

BTW, that "tool bonding" thing is even worse when it's a purpose built tool I've made. Then it can have stupidly irrational value to me!:huh::confused:

I think the Legion is a reasonable purchase for it's feature set, IF the finish holds up well, and that remains a "?" long term. For many Legion owners, I'd think appearance is a big part of their purchase decision. You are approaching this eyes wide open and informed, so if the feature set is what you want and you accept whatever risk there is with the finish, I'd say go for it.

Legion is not for me, I prefer legacy slides and back.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I've used my 226 Legion in Steel Challenge and IDPA. Lots of holster draws with no finish issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have roughly a 1,000 rounds through mine, and there are no finish issues at all. I believe most people see a Legion that has dry spots, and they think its the finish flaking off. It just needs a little oil.

There are so many threads going about Legion Finish issues, and 99% of them are just dry spots.

I am very happy with my Legion and will buy another at some point.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't own a Legion, but have seen quite a few photos of Legions with crappy PVD finishes, and not just from wear.

I'm sure the great majority are just fine, but it would seem to me there is some inconsistency in the application and durability of this particular finish. The Nitron finish on the standard SIGs is excellent, IMO.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My tool came with this,

so that I can be a tool also! :D

And the finish on my legion is holding up as well or better than the finish on my Bosch Router. I guess that's to be expected though, as the pistol costs three times as much and lives in a climate controlled environment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have not had an issue with my Legions, only thing I did, was what I do for all my firearms, take them apart, clean off all the factory goo, wipe them down with a silicone tac-cloth (this leaves a lot of extra on the gun), let it sit over night. Wipe off the extra in the morning, oil the parts that need oil, grease the parts that need grease and use the weapon.... my weapons are thought of as tools too, I don't keep them in any special climate controlled safe etc...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts