SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my glock 19 gen4 for a sig p226 in .40 with a Tlr1 HL for home defense. I had no true home defense gun so I traded for the 226 as the 19 didn't see much daylight anymore. How do you feel about the .40 in a home defense role?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,704 Posts
That is my current bedside pistol.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,704 Posts
Bravo Concealment. Only the s.o.b.'s quit making them for anything but M&P and Glock!! :growl:

They used to make custom holsters for every SIG and every major combination of SIG and light.

They claim to be switching production methods but they also said that they would only be doing the ones that sell the most. Right now, that appears to be M&P and Glock.
I also have one (no light) for my P239. I told them they lost a repeat customer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bravo Concealment. Only the s.o.b.'s quit making them for anything but M&P and Glock!! :growl:

They used to make custom holsters for every SIG and every major combination of SIG and light.

They claim to be switching production methods but they also said that they would only be doing the ones that sell the most. Right now, that appears to be M&P and Glock.
I also have one (no light) for my P239. I told them they lost a repeat customer.
Man I hate when companies do that, especially when they put out an exception product. Great looking combo sir! Holster is gonna be my next purchase.

·
Registered
7,487 Posts
The .40 Caliber is an excellent caliber, but I urge you to look at the Lucky Gunner Tests when selecting the Ammunition you are using. You want to pay attention to what the bullet is doing. Lucky Gunner did follow the FBI Gel Test standard for over 30 different commercially loaded ammunition. Speer, Winchester, and others in shooting into Ordanance Gel and 4 layers of denim. The results are posted on their website, and they are a supporter here.

I pay attention to the following:
1. Penetration. How far did the bullet go. 13 inches inside of a house or at 7 yards outside is more then enough against non armored targets protected by 4 layers of Denim. You do NOT want to penetrate walls or people and run the risk of hitting something beyond your target. You are stopping a People, not a Truck, car or other items. You also do NOT want to "Shoot through the door to get the bad guy". This is great for TV, and Lousy on you when you are in court.
2. Expansion. Small hole in, and Large damage inside is the trick. this is what you want to do with respect to your SD or HD cartridge selection.
3. Temporary Cavitation of the Material. Shock transmission into the body is critical to cause Trauma, Pain, and aggrivate Bleeding. you want to cause massive pain, blood loss and slow down the aggressor.

In the .40 caliber, the Remington Golden Saber Bonded expands from .40 to .78 or .80 caliber in 13 inches. The temporary cavity (they show the movie of the bullet going through the Gel) it is painful to watch. Especially in the first 4 inches. (Very Ugly damage).

In fact, the only cartridge that shows better performance is the New (very) Ranger "T" series in .45, which opens up to 1.00 caliber in 13 inches. These are the sort of wounds that were so highly damaging to troops in the Civil War.)

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
Traded my glock 19 gen4 for a sig p226 in .40 with a Tlr1 HL for home defense. I had no true home defense gun so I traded for the 226 as the 19 didn't see much daylight anymore. How do you feel about the .40 in a home defense role?

Well, as it relates to home defense, the .40 is no better/no worse than any other service caliber. As to the notion that you had no true home defense gun with a Glock 19 Gen 4, I suggest you're using that as an excuse to get a P226 b/c the fact is that the Glock 19 is a fantastic gun not only for home defense, but for general purpose use from a range toy to military combat.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a P226 .40 for a dedicated HD gun, or with trading the G19 for it, but let's get real. If you really thought you had no true home defense gun with a G19G4 in your hands...and now you have a true home defense gun with a P226 .40 in your hands, you should probably get some training on what home defense is. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, as it relates to home defense, the .40 is no better/no worse than any other service caliber. As to the notion that you had no true home defense gun with a Glock 19 Gen 4, I suggest you're using that as an excuse to get a P226 b/c the fact is that the Glock 19 is a fantastic gun not only for home defense, but for general purpose use from a range toy to military combat.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a P226 .40 for a dedicated HD gun, or with trading the G19 for it, but let's get real. If you really thought you had no true home defense gun with a G19G4 in your hands...and now you have a true home defense gun with a P226 .40 in your hands, you should probably get some training on what home defense is. Just food for thought.
I have a designated ccw gun and competition gun. I did not consider the 19 to be my home defense role so I went with the 226 in a larger caliber and light as the 19 stayed in the safe and my ccw was on my nightstand. You can rest assured I chose it after much thinking and I'm not lacking in training and skill for home defense. Thanks for your comment.

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
I have a designated ccw gun and competition gun. I did not consider the 19 to be my home defense role so I went with the 226 in a larger caliber and light as the 19 stayed in the safe and my ccw was on my nightstand. You can rest assured I chose it after much thinking and I'm not lacking in training and skill for home defense. Thanks for your comment.

Well, like I said, there is nothing wrong with wanting a P226 .40 for home defense, but you had a perfectly suited gun in the G19. If that isn't what you want to run as a HD gun, that's fine! You're completely free to designate whatever you want as a "dedicated home defense gun". That is a popular trend, no doubt! Having a gun specifically for carry, another one for a night stand gun, and another one for a dedicated home defense gun seems to be a perfectly logical way to acquire more guns. Nothing wrong with that, unless you don't take the time to train with those guns and know them like the back of your hand! Then it could be disastrous. :cool:

Personally, my EDC gun is also my primary HD gun b/c it is the gun I am most accustomed to. It is the gun I have the most time with, so it is the gun I am going to be most comfortable with as it relates to general purpose defense whether it be on the street or in my home, but I also have a number of other guns that are ready for the defense of my home to include other pistols, rifles and shotguns, and, although I don't use them everyday like I do my EDC gun, they're all home defense guns. You had a gun perfectly suited for home defense in the Glock 19. You just didn't want it, which is perfectly fine! I'm glad you got what you wanted. :D

Reactions: warxbird

·
Registered
23,704 Posts
Hi,

Nice setup. Is there any particular reason you pick the TLR2 over the wildly popular TLR1? Is the laser that much more desired?
Everyone has many different opinions about laser sights and will argue their positions with as much ferocity as "caliber vs. shot placement" or politics and religion.

I, however, view laser sights as another tool in the toolbox and believe in their advantages. Crimson Trace has some great videos on their use and Gunsite Academy teaches a dedicated course using laser sights.

I use TLR-1 lights in other situations on other firearms. For example, I have a TLR-1 HL mounted on my M590A1 shotgun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, like I said, there is nothing wrong with wanting a P226 .40 for home defense, but you had a perfectly suited gun in the G19. If that isn't what you want to run as a HD gun, that's fine! You're completely free to designate whatever you want as a "dedicated home defense gun". That is a popular trend, no doubt! Having a gun specifically for carry, another one for a night stand gun, and another one for a dedicated home defense gun seems to be a perfectly logical way to acquire more guns. Nothing wrong with that, unless you don't take the time to train with those guns and know them like the back of your hand! Then it could be disastrous. :cool:

Personally, my EDC gun is also my primary HD gun b/c it is the gun I am most accustomed to. It is the gun I have the most time with, so it is the gun I am going to be most comfortable with as it relates to general purpose defense whether it be on the street or in my home, but I also have a number of other guns that are ready for the defense of my home to include other pistols, rifles and shotguns, and, although I don't use them everyday like I do my EDC gun, they're all home defense guns. You had a gun perfectly suited for home defense in the Glock 19. You just didn't want it, which is perfectly fine! I'm glad you got what you wanted. :D
You are absolutely correct, I could have kept the 19 but then I wouldn't have a sweet sig but I know where you're coming from with the carry/home defense/range gun idea. Which gun are you using in this role?

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
You are absolutely correct, I could have kept the 19 but then I wouldn't have a sweet sig but I know where you're coming from with the carry/home defense/range gun idea. Which gun are you using in this role?

A Glock 19 Gen 4 with a XC-1 WML. :cool:

Reactions: warxbird

·
Banned
6,286 Posts
That's what I was thinking you carried lol

At one point I had a P226 .40, but I prefer the 229 in .40, and I had a P226 MK25 w/TLR-1 as my dedicated primary HD gun. I figured out what I wasn't as proficient with the DA/SA platform as I am with the striker fire, so I got rid of the DA/SA guns and dedicated almost primarily to the Glock. I have a couple revolvers, but I carry/use a Glock primarily.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It should work great as a home defense gun. The 40 is a proven effective round. The main criticism you'll hear about it is that it's a high pressure round and that it causes premature wear on pistol parts and that it's not as accurate as other rounds.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Everyone has many different opinions about laser sights and will argue their positions with as much ferocity as "caliber vs. shot placement" or politics and religion.

I, however, view laser sights as another tool in the toolbox and believe in their advantages. Crimson Trace has some great videos on their use and Gunsite Academy teaches a dedicated course using laser sights.

I use TLR-1 lights in other situations on other firearms. For example, I have a TLR-1 HL mounted on my M590A1 shotgun.
Understood. Thanks for the answer. I am not trying to argue or anything. Just want to justify the price difference between them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.