SIG Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know the difference between the two? The Match SAO is no longer available, but I have one and am thinking about getting the Super Match.
The SM is a Sig custom shop gun, while the Match SAO is not.
Also, the SM has an external (short!!) extractor, while the Match SAO has an internal.
It looks as if the SM SAO is also no longer on their site.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
IIRC, the only difference between the two is.

Super Match:

Beavertail (longer on older models with German frames and barrels, and shorter on the latest examples with the American made frames and barrels.

Rosewood Grips

"Custom Shop" logo. ( only a cosmetic feature IMO )

External extractor on later models, internal extractor on older examples.

Match:

No beavertail

Plastic grips.

No "Custom Shop" logo

Internal extractor ( which was the norm for P220s when this model was produced. The may even be some with external extractors)

I don't know whether or not any Match models were produced using German frames and barrels.

They are basically the same pistol IMO.

My Super Match is one of my favorite pistols regardless of cost and matches the accuracy of 1911s costing fully several times it's cost.

The last time I shot it was earlier today.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Does the american made Super Match have a match quality barrel or is it the same as the regular P220?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IIRC, the only difference between the two is.

Super Match:

Beavertail (longer on older models with German frames and barrels, and shorter on the latest examples with the American made frames and barrels.

Rosewood Grips

"Custom Shop" logo. ( only a cosmetic feature IMO )

External extractor on later models, internal extractor on older examples.

Match:

No beavertail

Plastic grips.

No "Custom Shop" logo

Internal extractor ( which was the norm for P220s when this model was produced. The may even be some with external extractors)

I don't know whether or not any Match models were produced using German frames and barrels.

They are basically the same pistol IMO.

My Super Match is one of my favorite pistols regardless of cost and matches the accuracy of 1911s costing fully several times it's cost.

The last time I shot it was earlier today.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping that there would be a difference in the two triggers. My Match SAO has a pretty good trigger but it has a long reset and it is still right at 5 lbs pull. I thought that maybe the Super Match had a little lighter pull and better reset. I've been really spoiled by my P226 Legion SAO. That, and I have really taken to the SRT kit in general, as I have them on 5 Sigs now, and I will soon add them to two more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a p220 match elite and the p220 super match, both .45 with 5" barrels. I wouldn't get rid of either. The last year the elite match mse was made, they did put the Custom shop logo on it. A guy at sig told me that the difference between and sig match elite with the Custom shop logo was that they "massaged" the interior. I asked if that meant they were polished. He said no, and then admitted there was basically no difference except for the Custom shop logo.
For the Match elite vs super match, Besides the SAO there is one other big difference. The match elite has an all stainless frame, while the super match has an alloy frame. I am more accurate with the super match because it is lighter, but I like the feel of an all stainless in my hand more than an alloy frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.