Votes: 1 4.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like Flat TR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s the way I’ve been thinking Mickey. Might match the finish better. Other than Hogue’s pics, I haven’t seen the gloss on one yet.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I no longer have any black P225s, so don't have pics of the gloss grips on them, but I like gloss on Ni gun.

For black guns, matte black grips probably look better.

The matte does look good on the black. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Reactions: Twistedracer

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,819 Posts
Unless you polished up your P220, I'd think the Matte would look better, although the original "checkered" OEM grips could "polish up" a bit, but the crinkle finished texture of your OEMs lend themselves more to the business at hand... "grip ability"!

Just as I've mentioned before, back in the '90s, when there wasn't much of an option, most of us on my department went to the rubber Hogue grips for our German P226s as the humidity here in the Ohio River Valley made them "hard to get a good hold on" for good control. I even went that route with my personal P220.

Given your NW location, have you tried aluminum in the winter? That would be my hesitation... around here, it would be the heat of the summer!

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless you polished up your P220, I'd think the Matte would look better, although the original "checkered" OEM grips could "polish up" a bit, but the crinkle finished texture of your OEMs lend themselves more to the business at hand... "grip ability"!

Just as I've mentioned before, back in the '90s, when there wasn't much of an option, most of us on my department went to the rubber Hogue grips for our German P226s as the humidity here in the Ohio River Valley made them "hard to get a good hold on" for good control. I even went that route with my personal P220.

Given your NW location, have you tried aluminum in the winter? That would be my hesitation... around here, it would be the heat of the summer!
I've read about the cold and heat issues with the aluminum grips. Since this isn't a carry piece I thought I'd give it a try just for something different but with more grip than the plastic ones. So far the G10's are my favorites.

Reactions: Willard

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hogue rubber grip panels,not wrap around finger groove versions are on my "working stock" P series 220's,226's,229's for Arctic use.

Plastic,aluminum,laminates are NOT Arctic compliant @ -40 F ambient.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well I can’t touch DanaSig’s conditions - not in Alabama. I like cooler weather but that would make me cry for momma.

Notwithstanding, I’ve been pleased with the texture of the checkered G10 Hogues for my newly-purchased 220. And I certainly prefer the shape of the lower back strap (viewed from the side) vs the OEM polys.

Last year, I didn’t love the Piranha texture on a since-sold 220. Though it is intended to provide better grip (vs checkered), I found the opposite true for me. The grip hold of the new panels on this 220R approximates that of my 220 Legion, despite no front-strap checkering and undercut. I would not have guessed such. I previously assumed that I needed the full Legion frame & grip for my long hands to get happy when shooting a thin 220.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I can’t touch DanaSig’s conditions - not in Alabama. I like cooler weather but that would make me cry for momma.

Notwithstanding, I’ve been pleased with the texture of the checkered G10 Hogues for my newly-purchased 220. And I certainly prefer the shape of the lower back strap (viewed from the side) vs the OEM polys.

Last year, I didn’t love the Piranha texture on a since-sold 220. Though it is intended to provide better grip (vs checkered), I found the opposite true for me. The grip hold of the new panels on this 220R approximates that of my 220 Legion, despite no front-strap checkering and undercut. I would not have guessed such. I previously assumed that I needed the full Legion frame & grip for my long hands to get happy when shooting a thin 220.
I’ve definitely been happier with the Hogue backstrap shape over the stock plastics on every Sig I’ve tried out. Hopefully the aluminum has the same shape as the G10.

·
Registered
11,347 Posts
No doubt the aluminum grips look great, I think the matte black on a black gun is the better look.

One of my concerns has always been the durability of the finish. I'm not too concerned when my G10s get smacked, but I'm not sure I'd get away with that on aluminums. But then I've never actually tried them...so what do I know.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Deja vu - This thread's date gonna be off 3 - 4 years Twistedracer & Mickey??!!.. Great to see ya both on ST - Luv you guys!

Luv my alloy 226 & 229 grips. Thought they'd show dings, but really not...

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Deja vu - This thread's date gonna be off 3 - 4 years Twistedracer & Mickey??!!.. Great to see ya both on ST - Luv you guys!

Luv my alloy 226 & 229 grips. Thought they'd show dings, but really not...

Cheers
Great to see you KC! Those grips look great on there. I didn’t see the Sig ones available anymore so I’ll probably just get them from Hogue.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No doubt the aluminum grips look great, I think the matte black on a black gun is the better look.

One of my concerns has always been the durability of the finish. I'm not too concerned when my G10s get smacked, but I'm not sure I'd get away with that on aluminums. But then I've never actually tried them...so what do I know.
I was thinking that if I singed them up, I could always cerakote them.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have flat black aluminum on my P220 and if I could do it again, I would get G-10's instead.
You got any pics?
I have G10’s on all my other Sigs. Figured alloys would be fine for a safe queen.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Still haven’t shot my 220 but was wanting a set of the aluminum grips for her. Never done aluminum grips before so why not for this one...
Go for the Hogue matte checkered aluminum grips. Try the matte green or matte ODG as an option. They're certainly different than matte black, but not distracting IMO. I have these grips on my P226 DAK gun, and they're perfect, but they are range guns.

If you go smooth, not checkered, these grips will slip in your palms if they are wet. Also, the aluminums (checkered or smooth) will scratch, and are not suited for very cold weather unless you wear gloves.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts