SIG Talk banner

.22 Suggestions

2437 28
Hi All - my paperwork is finally in and I am in the market for a .22 for training, low cost of ammo and to use to teach my kids. I recently tried the S&M MP .22 compact at the range and liked it (cost is right) but I'm starting to see low marks for durability.

I love my Legion 226 and would like a .22 with similar weight, durability and trigger if possible. Would also like to keep the purchase price down if possible. I see Sig has the P938-22. Anyone shoot it/like it/hate it?? It's a little more than I was hoping to spend but it is a Sig.

I've been shooting for less than a year so looking for suggestions/advice.

Thanks in advance
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Hi All - my paperwork is finally in and I am in the market for a .22 for training, low cost of ammo and to use to teach my kids. I recently tried the S&M MP .22 compact at the range and liked it (cost is right) but I'm starting to see low marks for durability.

I love my Legion 226 and would like a .22 with similar weight, durability and trigger if possible. Would also like to keep the purchase price down if possible. I see Sig has the P938-22. Anyone shoot it/like it/hate it?? It's a little more than I was hoping to spend but it is a Sig.

I've been shooting for less than a year so looking for suggestions/advice.

Thanks in advance
I'm not sure where you saw the low marks for durability but I have almost 40,000 rounds through one I have. It takes just about any kind of rounds I put through it and it breaks down in seconds to clean it. I stopped shooting my model 63 after I bought it. The only thing that has had to be replaced is the firing pin. One month turnaround from S & W with no cost to me. I bought it for my wife to learn on when she started shooting. It's also a great trainer for the Shield since it modeled so close to it.

·
🎖USAF Veteran
3,230 Posts
SIG used to have a pistol called the Mosquito that was made for them by German Sport Guns. When they discontinued it GSG simply renamed it the FireFly and kept making it. It is very much like the 226 but 90% of the size.
You will see lots of gripes about the Mosquito and ammo, but you can also find reports from people who shoot recommended high velocity ammo and have very few issues. I got a FireFly for less than $250 out the door and really enjoy it. I shoot CCI Mini Mags or Browning BPR 40gr Round Nose (slightly higher velocity than CCIs) and have very few problems. It never fails to lock back the slide after the last round and feels great in the hand. I would not part with mine.

Reactions: Mills and PVK

·
Registered
25 Posts

If you can afford it...the Sig P-226 .22 Classic is a great unit to start with. Add a new top end and it can be a potent 9mm, or .357 sig personal defense weapon.
Mine has grown from .22 as shipped, to 9mm and .357 sig so it's become a very versatile pistol for casual range or defensive needs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.