SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a YT vid some months ago of a guy loading up .40 brass in a Glock (with aftermarket fully supported chamber) to 10mm (or close) ballistics.

Kind of makes sense to me as the .40 brass is just as strong as 10mm brass, just shorter, so it will be higher pressures.

I would not want to do this with any of my "alloy" framed SIGs for fear of causing cracks/etc. in the rails and so on, but if Glock frames can handle the pressure/wear, then a 2022 should be able to also?

I have a 2022 in 9mm and a 2340 slide/barrel/etc. in .40 S&W.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Saw a YT vid some months ago of a guy loading up .40 brass in a Glock (with aftermarket fully supported chamber) to 10mm (or close) ballistics.

Kind of makes sense to me as the .40 brass is just as strong as 10mm brass, just shorter, so it will be higher pressures.

I would not want to do this with any of my "alloy" framed SIGs for fear of causing cracks/etc. in the rails and so on, but if Glock frames can handle the pressure/wear, then a 2022 should be able to also?

I have a 2022 in 9mm and a 2340 slide/barrel/etc. in .40 S&W.

Thoughts?
What was the load and what kind of pressure and velocity was he getting? Have a link to the vid? My carry ammo is a 155 gr XTP using new starline brass and 9.3 gr of longshot.

It is moving along and is approaching most commercially available 158 gr .357 mag. Its not a round I would use to punch holes in paper but I have shot about 20 rds each through my Sig 229 and my M&P 2.0 and they work great. Noisy but not by any means uncontrollable. I should state that I have a 19# recoil spring in my 229 but the M&P is bone stock except for apex trigger.

Once underwood ammo is back up and running I plan to try some of their 40S&W loadings. I think so long as your gun is not getting a steady diet .. it will be fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My only real question is why? As my dad used to tell me, “Sometimes, there are people placed on this earth to show you, What Not to Do!”

I am in possession of a Gen 1 Glock Model 22 paperweight resulting from 40 cal white-box Remington. No poor reloading or bad choice, just bad luck. I remember that numb feeling, looking down at the blood and then grabbing a rag. Don’t wish that for anyone...No point to prove, “Because I Can!” worth losing a few fingers to me.

Not saying you can’t, if you want too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have mixed feelings when it comes to pushing the 40S&W. Overall I feel it has the potential to go well past the norm. However, there's such a variance in brass quality and chamber support in the caliber it makes it more risky on average.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Safe pressures cannot be achieved when pushing a smaller capacity cartridge to the velocities of a larger capacity cartridge. The case volume is not present to allow safe pressures, the pressure curve of the smaller capacity case will spike quicker, over a shorter duration. Pushing the .40 to 10mm velocities will end in a failure of the weapon. How the weapon fails is the big question. If you want 10mm velocities, buy a 10mm. If you push the .40 to be a 10mm, you will not have a .40 for long.

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
Oh good... Unmeasured blind 35,000 PSI experiments...

"Spike"? Exactly how many pressure peaks were there? How high were they?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
You forgot to say: "Hold my beer and watch this"

Or, "Here, you shoot this and I will stand over there with the phone to call for help"

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Factory loads are 35-38k psi . Pushing 10mm velocities out of a smaller case is idiotic.This is in the same category as the yokels who videoed themselves lighting skyrockets out of their rear-ends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.