SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently deployed to Africa and looking into two pistols. I won't have the opportunity to rent or test out the guns. I recently had a P229 and loved how it feels but I traded it for an AR15. I really miss it and considering getting what I originally wanted a P226 to fill the void. The catch is, I am also eyeing the sig 1911 scorpion. The main thing I'm looking for is da/sa with a beaver tail. Which do you guys prefer, the Sig P226 or their 1911s? I can't make up my mind.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
The obvious reply is to get both. But you say your main thing is to get da/sa with beavertail. That rules out 1911. So get a 226 Elite which has what you want. Add a 1911 later (like a week or two later).

·
Registered
98 Posts
There are a LOT of differences and both are great guns to have. If you have to carry only one you have a tough decision. 9 rounds of .45 compared to 15 (or 20 as in pic) of 9mm. The triggers on a Sig are sweet but its hard to beat a 1911. For me, my 1911 wins as far as "pointability" But if I had to grab and go I would probably take my TacOps with two mags for a total of 61 rounds compared to 25 with the 1911. That being said... the .45 is by far a better fight stopper.
Maybe a P227 in .45???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The obvious reply is to get both. But you say your main thing is to get da/sa with beavertail. That rules out 1911. So get a 226 Elite which has what you want. Add a 1911 later (like a week or two later).

They're as different as two full sized pistols can be. Your only real choice with the criteria you've given is the 226 elite line.

Personally I'd skip the 1911 for anything but a range toy, but to each their own. Yes I know, 1911's feed hollow points just as well and are just as reliable as modern designs, blah-blah-blah.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Both guns are great. I have a buddy that goes to Africa and around the word due to his job. He Carry the Sig scorpion and for one reason. It never fail him. No FTF FTE. The other guns he uses is the Glock again for one reason. It goes bang every time !

·
Registered
9,140 Posts
If you are looking for a DA/SA, then you've ruled out the 1911.
If you liked your 229, then the 226 will be an old friend, just a little longer barrel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would get the 226 in 9mm. Most popular round worldwide and you should have no problem finding it in Africa.1911s are great but finicky. I have a Wilson classic and a les Baer.only certain ammo works reliably and it seems to be different from gun to gun. My 226 on the other hand has never failed with 100,000+ rounds of varying type and quality.

·
Registered
438 Posts
.45acp vs. 9mm, 8 rounds vs. 15 rounds, 1.4" wide vs. 1.6" wide, SAO vs SA/DA. Two completely different firearms, but both great. I'd say whichever you shoot better.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Hmmm, if I had to choose between the two it would be a 226. Home defense back-up, the 226 with 20 round Mec-Gar magazines. I love a good 1911, I've had two flawless 1911's as of late, a Sig 1911 TacOps and my current SA Range Officer 1911. Eventually you'll get both :)

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would recommend that you get both of the pistols, but ... If you are looking at a 9mm vs a 45ACP then you might want to consider the Sig P220 Elite Carry. Same size as a P226 but packs the same punch as the 1911. Mine is my go to pistol. Here is a picture of mine -

Attachments

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If you are looking for a DA/SA, then you've ruled out the 1911.
That kind of says it all.

I love my P226, not a 1911 fan although many millions are. Go with what you are most comfortable with, although as Hodge says, your criteria make the 226 the only choice.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
It really comes down to personal preference because you really can't put these guns side by side for comparison. They are two completely different handguns. Two different calibers. Two different actions. Etc......

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
1911 hands down.

The natural aim and single action trigger will make you a better shooter. Plus an effective round.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts