SIG Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brand new 1911 ultra compact is having some issues. I just fired it today for the first time. 100 rounds of .45acp Federal...zero malfunctions.

But, the frame rails both center and forward are having some wear issues. The center rails are already showing loss of paint. The very forward rails have a few scratches (seem smooth...I guess) which seem to be identical on both sides of the rails. I will attach a picture so you can see what I am talking about.

I need some honest advice. Do I send this back to Sig or just suck it up?

Lastly, my screws in my magazines fell out while I was shooting. I will call Sig CS and ask what the hell is up with that! I was really embarrassed while the Glock guys were saying "TOLD YOU SO"!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well Sig Sauer said this is not normal. They want me to immediately send it back for an overhaul. Plunger lever will be replaced, slide will be investigated, blemishes will be smoothed out, magazines will be fixed. I am far from happy.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
That sucks brother. I have a problem child 224 en route back to Exeter myself. Most everyone here that's had issues has gotten them resolved by SIG. Hopefully you & I will be added to that list in a week or two

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, that's certainly not par for their course. Bummer that you've got to send it back, but they'll get you fixed up and you'll be back banging away in no time.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
My brand new 1911 ultra compact is having some issues. I just fired it today for the first time. 100 rounds of .45acp Federal...zero malfunctions.

But, the frame rails both center and forward are having some wear issues. The center rails are already showing loss of paint. The very forward rails have a few scratches (seem smooth...I guess) which seem to be identical on both sides of the rails. I will attach a picture so you can see what I am talking about.

I need some honest advice. Do I send this back to Sig or just suck it up?

Lastly, my screws in my magazines fell out while I was shooting. I will call Sig CS and ask what the hell is up with that! I was really embarrassed while the Glock guys were saying "TOLD YOU SO"!

Unless Sig can, pardon the expression, "**** backwards," I'd be looking for them to provide you with a new frame at minimum, if not an entirely new weapon. I personally believe if there is a wear issue to that extent on a new weapon, they should take it back, repair the problem that caused it, and place it in Sig's CPO program. After sending you the new weapon you just paid a premium for, of course. Every round I put through that new weapon with the premature wear in the future would bother me...but I'm a noob, and possibly a stirstick.

But if the manufacturer acknowledges there's an issue like this so early in the gun's service, they should take care of it. I hope they get you a new frame at a minimum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I totally agree. Wouldn't a new frame require me to re-register the entire pistol all over again? I would imagine it would have to go to a FFL and than go back to the Police Station for registration. Unless they can bust out a new frame with the same serial number which I don't see being legal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks brother, I can only hope they don't do a "quickie" then send it back without fully looking into this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No doubt brother. I will say the CS was bad ***. They answered the phone after 3 rings, no waiting and he got right down to business. I had to send a few pics of the problem and within a few hours they had a FedEx sheet to my email. I drop her off tomorrow at the main terminal here in Hawaii and off she goes. They say 2-3 weeks but I don't foresee it taking more than 5 days max.

Keep you posted! Good luck on yours too!! Let me know what's up with it.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I totally agree. Wouldn't a new frame require me to re-register the entire pistol all over again? I would imagine it would have to go to a FFL and than go back to the Police Station for registration. Unless they can bust out a new frame with the same serial number which I don't see being legal.

I would rather have to do this than live with a weapon whose longevity is in question.

What A PITA living in Hawaii and registering your weapons like that. But this is not Sig's first rodeo, so they'll make it right. I'd include a note expressing how you'd like a new frame at least rather than living with such ABNORMAL premature wear. Just sayin'.

Good-luck, my Hawaiian friend.

-LC

·
Banned
2,873 Posts

I would imagine if there are any fees at the police station, they would be waived due to your new weapon being replaced by the manufacturer. I'm sure Sig will write you a letter stating as much to the Po-po.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I totally agree brother. Living in Hawaii is awesome minus the insane gun laws! OK. I JUST got an email on my "mil" account from Sig. I guess I missed this one since I am off today and not in my Gov building.

From Sig: Sir, we received an email from our gunsmiths. They have reviewed your photos and all concur that this is completely normal wear on your frame rails. They are going to change your plunger lever, and check for any abnormal burrs; etc. We will take care of your magazines as well by either replacing or adding Loctight to the screws. Call us if you have any other concerns.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In Hawaii I would have to wait another 2 weeks on a permit. Even though this is a replacement. Laws here are stupid. So it will have to sit at my FFL until the 2 week waiting period is over. Keeping my fingers crossed Sig can smooth out the rails, replace the parts and get it back to me.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
I totally agree brother. Living in Hawaii is awesome minus the insane gun laws! OK. I JUST got an email on my "mil" account from Sig. I guess I missed this one since I am off today and not in my Gov building.

From Sig: Sir, we received an email from our gunsmiths. They have reviewed your photos and all concur that this is completely normal wear on your frame rails. They are going to change your plunger lever, and check for any abnormal burrs; etc. We will take care of your magazines as well by either replacing or adding Loctight to the screws. Call us if you have any other concerns.
I'm frankly surprised the Sig CSR didn't tell you this within 20 seconds of your first call. This is why I'm tempted to continue buying used Sigs...I'm not getting the warm-and-fuzzys from those guys, especially after they told me the rattling ambi-safety and frame scratch caused from it (before even firing my first round) were "completely normal."

Does anyone owning 1911 Ultras care to field strip those bad boys and show some wear pics and add round counts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know A LOT of people who own 1911's and have take down lever scratches from not being cautious. I also know A LOT of people who have random scratches on their handguns before they even fire them. Some don't even make it out of the shop and refuse the purchase once they see the condition.

I am just hoping Sig gets this right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The first two pictures do not show slide wear but rather show scratches on the "dust cover". My Ultra shows the same marks. I think some slide wear is normal. Mine has 330 rnds through it and shows some paint wear on the rails, although less than yours. If it racks smoothly by hand, without binding, and functions flawlessly I'd be good to go! Mine did not perform well at first, mostly failure to feed (nosedive on the frame ramp) so I polished the ramp and increased lube on the rails and elsewhere. Probably voids the warranty but it seems to work right now. My magazines do not have screws

Does Sig cover shipping in the case of warranty repairs?, Rob

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The pictures you show do reflect wear very similar to what I see on mine. The metal is not worn, just the ionbond coating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts