SIG Talk banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I really appreciate the feedback on this board! I haven't decided 100% yet but really leaning toward the .45 to start. If I started with something else, I feel like I would be forever cursed by the ghosts of 1911s past. Will let you know how the search goes and maybe post some baby pics soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Perhaps a similar situation (?), I think that everyone should own at least one 1911 in their lifetime, preferably a nice one. My first 1911 (actually 2011 style) was a WC EDC X9, I followed this up with a Springfield EMP3, both specifically built for the 9mm round and absolutely zero complaints with either one.

My latest acquisition is a 1944 R/R in .45.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
My preference is for a M1911a1 in .45acp. Look to the Mid range Dan Wesson pistols for a really nice precision handgun.

Reactions: TXGRunner

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
....Do you 1911 folks think its essential to have your first (and perhaps only) in .45 or is the 9mm version just as much fun? Is .45 ACP even available? I haven't seen much here in NC. I'm interested in your advice.

For those who say just get both, I probably will eventually. But which one first? Thanks!
First and foremost, I'm a purist. The 1911 was designed for the 45 acp cartridge, and should always be experienced that way. However, I've made an exception. 1911 in 357sig and 10mm.

So do what you want.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 1911 in 9mm is sublime. Big, heavy, super soft shooter, unbelievably accurate. I have a stainless Springfield Range Officer Target in 9mm and I love it. I also have a Kimber Pro Carry 2 Commander in .45 and it is also a surprisingly soft shooter. If you can, rent a 1911 at the range and try a couple different sizes and calibers. Not all 1911s are alike.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have been on a 1911 kick for a while now.
I have or have had the “traditional” 45 ACP in several, including a Kimber Aegis Elite Custom (5”) with a Vortex Venom, a Kimber Stainless Pro (4”), Springfield Range Officer (5”), and a Girsan, yes, a Girsan MC1911C Commander. All easy to shoot and handle.
I also have or have had 9mm including a Springfield Range Officer Target (5”), Springfield Ronin Commander (4.25”), Kimber Aegis Elite Pro (4”) with a Vortex Venom, and several 1911ish micros including several Kimber Micro 9s and a Springfield EMP CCC (4”). All of the 9mm are pussycats to shoot although the micro 9s are a bit snappy with 124 grain or hollow points.
Go with your gut. 45 is traditional stopping power and recoil is manageable especially with a steel framed pistol. 9mm is a dream to shoot.
I haven’t had any issues with any of my 1911’s, but then I’m a stickler for cleaning, lube, and tuning.
My next 1911 purchases will be a Dan Wesson 9mm and 45 ACP, and something in 10mm!
I know there were more, but right now that’s my recollection! 😊🤔

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got 1911's in 4 different calibers. I liked to shoot them all. Do most shooting with a full size USGI style. My wife likes to shoot a 9mm CCO, which is a commander slide on a LW officer frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a few handguns - most in 9mm. I have always wanted a 1911 but was not excited about building a new stockpile of .45 ACP ammo. These days that could easily double the cost of the gun itself - if you can even find ammo. Do you 1911 folks think its essential to have your first (and perhaps only) in .45 or is the 9mm version just as much fun? Is .45 ACP even available? I haven't seen much here in NC. I'm interested in your advice.

For those who say just get both, I probably will eventually. But which one first? Thanks!
I have two 1911s, a Colt XSE Combat Commander (45 ACP) and a RIA full size in 9mm. I like them both but the 9mm is better for my arthitis and for my wallet. I think the RIA is a little more sensitive to ammo than the Colt. When I bought it the RIA wouldn't eat certain kinds of ammo like hollow points. I sent it back to them and they worked on the ramp and now it's much better. The Colt was good right out of the box and has been great with most of the rounds that I put through it...even the junky stuff.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I don't like to ask "What do you want to do with it", but "What do you want to do with it?"

Getting a 1911, especially a Colt, is connection with history. Might not matter to you. If so, 45ACP.
Sel-defence? I think you've sold yourself on 9mm.
I've owned .45ACP 1911s since the late '60s. Learned to load my own to save money.

In the'80s I got a Colt Delta Elite. All I could think of is "WHAT were they THINKing!" Later, a Kimber Camp Guard taught me all about it.

I can still pick up a 45ACP 1911 and "play golf" with it to 20+ meters. But, one of our charming children noticed me rubbing my wrists and hand after shooting. He said "Get a 9." Almost shot him right there.
Couple weeks later he pressed a Colt Commander 9mm in my hands. I'm a convert. It's as much fun as the Big Bore for less money. Modern ammo makes it as capable of self-defence as the .45ACP. Even my handloads are good enough for "golf."
-Wisconsin Flyer

21 - 40 of 61 Posts